Author Topic: Super Mario DX for GBA  (Read 25599 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »
Hmmmmm. Looking at my boxes I have a mixture of Taichung and China addresses - there's one (The Incredibles) with the China address from as late as 2005, and the earliest with the Taichung address is Lion King from 2003 which has the sticker. Without exception though all the ones with the China address were bought from China and the ones with the Taichung address were bought from Taiwan.

So I guess they had both offices all along, and they just printed different boxes depending on the country the game was sold in - but earlier on they only printed them with the Chinese address (since China was the bigger market I guess) and stickered them for Taiwan. Taiwan seems to have been the only place they released those GBA-sized GBC carts, though.

Incidentally this trademark filing from 1994 has the same Taichung address as the latest game boxes, so it seems like they didn't even move in all that time.
oh yeah, another odd thing: all the GB-size Sintax games I have from Taiwan (only about three, admittedly) are in generic grey "GAME" carts, whereas everything i have from China or elsewhere uses their own custom cart design. But the seemingly Taiwan-only GBA-size carts are based on the larger design and even come in the same colours.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:20:49 AM by taizou »

fcgamer

• View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »
taizou
Mar 23 2013, 09:13:23 PM
Hmmmmm. Looking at my boxes I have a mixture of Taichung and China addresses - there's one (The Incredibles) with the China address from as late as 2005, and the earliest with the Taichung address is Lion King from 2003 which has the sticker. Without exception though all the ones with the China address were bought from China and the ones with the Taichung address were bought from Taiwan.

So I guess they had both offices all along, and they just printed different boxes depending on the country the game was sold in - but earlier on they only printed them with the Chinese address (since China was the bigger market I guess) and stickered them for Taiwan. Taiwan seems to have been the only place they released those GBA-sized GBC carts, though.

Incidentally this trademark filing from 1994 has the same Taichung address as the latest game boxes, so it seems like they didn't even move in all that time.
oh yeah, another odd thing: all the GB-size Sintax games I have from Taiwan (only about three, admittedly) are in generic grey "GAME" carts, whereas everything i have from China or elsewhere uses their own custom cart design. But the seemingly Taiwan-only GBA-size carts are based on the larger design and even come in the same colours.[/quote]Could you show me a picture of the one with the China address from 2005?  I take it that this was in the normal Gameboy sized box, and not one of those pseudo GBA carts?

All of the fake GBA carts I have, have the Taiwan address printed on them direct, no stickers, or anything else.  

Most of the GBC Sintax games I have are in generic gray cartridges, and the vast majority were purchased in Taiwan.  Some of the games have the China address showing, but after 2003 November, the ones I have are all Taiwan address, if I can recollect properly wht I noticed from this morning.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2013, 08:42:49 AM »
It seems as if the English ones don't have addresses. :( I can't see one on my Pocket Monster Carbuncles box.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »
Here's The Incredibles: http://imgur.com/zAq3gs0
It was bought from China & the cart is the custom GBC-sized one.

I notice even though its ostensibly a mainland China release, all the text is in traditional Chinese - so maybe their HQ was always in Taiwan, and China just handled distribution and (I guess) shell manufacturing?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »
Noticed something interesting in one of Qiezei's scans while looking back at some of those-- his cart of Ge Dou Jian Shen (one of the GBA-sized GBC carts) lists the mailing address in Taichung together with the mainland phone number.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:52:46 PM by codeman38 »

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2013, 03:33:33 PM »
I'll just stick with my millions of SMB1 ROM hacks.

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »
I'm hoping this'll be dumped successfully so I can beat it.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »
Meh, the Digimon Adventure ROM got 'leaked' before, so I suppose you can beat that one. (And Barver has the link in the description of his YT video of it.)
Also, if anyone has this and wants it dumped, you can probably try and de-solder the EPROM and nab the data with some kind of EPROM programmer. I don't think anybody would even TRY to do something like that to a precious fourteenth-of-a-kind game. :lol:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:06:34 PM by Robbi »

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
All credits to Awesome Panda for finding this one.
Donkey Kong 2!

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »
...How many of these freaking things did Sintax make?!?!

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2013, 05:37:13 AM »
I'm betting over 20. (Sintax, if ONLY you bothered to make another engine.)

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2013, 07:37:10 AM »
Man, they are getting as bad as Makon with these games.  I know their GBC games re-used engines a lot, they still varied it up slightly (and bothered using more than one soundtrack for each game.)

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »
What's up with Donkey Kong? Did they try putting Diddy's hat on him?

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
Yep, and they obviously did a bad job on it. :lol:
Found a sealed Donkey Kong 2. Sadly, it was put up in 2010, so I dunno if that's still available. :\

And this guy has another Sintax work on GBA, Pokemon Special Pikachu Edition 3! (this just gets worser and worser, right?)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:26:32 PM by Robbi »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »
...Yeaaah, this is absolutely Sintax's work. They reused the plot line from Donkey Kong 5 on the back of the box!

(They romanized Sodoma and Lombado's names differently... but then again, Sintax was never one for consistency. I mean, they called their Lilo & Stitch game "Space Baby" on the box, but "Firmament Baby" in the ROM itself.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:11:22 PM by codeman38 »