Author Topic: Worst ports of games to other consoles  (Read 26453 times)

nensondubois

Worst ports of games to other consoles
« on: June 11, 2012, 01:24:43 AM »
Games have been ported to various other consoles for customer convince and for developer's and publishers to make a few quick buck; however, sometimes the development cycle goes awry when certain games are ported to specific consoles. I'm more specifically talking about games that are ported to vastly inferior consoles such as bringing a game to the Game Boy Advance from say, an original Sega Genesis game and not a 2600 game to Colecovision since those games rarely have anything exponentially changed when handed down. In your experience and opinion, what is considered the worst port of a game to another console?

Mine would have to be Comix Zone for the Game Boy Advance. Music is horrendous in this version, graphics are choked and controls seem to be completely absent from gameplay. I have written a quick review stating my absolute disgust for Comix Zone on the Game Boy Advance. Comix Zone for the Genesis shouldn't even be considered the same league of gaming experiences; here is my review. http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/583054-comix-zone/reviews/review-150704 Keep in mind I only wrote this in under an hour.

I'd love to hear some horrific experiences with ports quickly hammered out in time. I can think of one other... Doom for the 32...  >_>

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:37:28 AM »
Ports done by Waixing and Shenzhen Nanjing go without saying, but a more notable one in my opinion is the GBA port of Rayman.  It's not that bad, technically speaking, but they did cut a bunch of stuff and the music could've been way better.

Doc.Karnage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
I think the Amiga port of Final Fight qualifies, it was made in under a week by ONE programmer, half of that time was spent collecting the sprites, as you would expect, its pretty horrible.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:20:14 AM by Doc.Karnage »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »
Doc.Karnage
Jun 11 2012, 11:15:00 AM
I think the Amiga port of Final Fight qualifies, it was made in under a week by ONE programmer, half of that time was spent collecting the sprites, as you would expect, its pretty horrible.[/quote]Not worse than the Spectrum version, though.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
I remember Beast and Prince of Persia 2 for the PC had some awful ports (both done by or at least involving Psygnosis.)  One issue with both games is that they ran at a faster speed than their PC counterparts, along with a bunch of other design issues.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:22:18 PM »
Most of the Game.com's library. :P

The SNES version of Doom is pretty bad as well, mainly because everything's a blocky mess and it's hard to tell what's going on most of the time. Still better than the 32X version though.

DeltaBladeX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »
I couldn't stand the GBA release of Shining Force, but that is more because they made so many changes to the gameplay mechanics.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »
Sonic Genesis for Game Boy Advance, just terrible!

Doc.Karnage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »
RobGBA
Jun 11 2012, 06:21:59 PM
Sonic Genesis for Game Boy Advance, just terrible![/quote]I think the award for the worst port in that series goes to the Game.Com version of Sonic Jam. Its amazing how many great games the Game.Com managed to shit on during its short life span.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:17:32 PM by Doc.Karnage »

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 08:27:03 PM »

nensondubois

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 01:31:58 AM »
Sonic Smash Pack for the Game Boy Advance was terrible and I feel the Sonic Spinball suffered the most. Sound emulation was way off, the Status bar disappears and reappears sort of creating a distraction. Don't remember but I think the controls were spot-on. Ecco the Dolphin... really? Ecco the Dolphin seemed fine for the twenty or seconds I played.. except for the sounds. Golden Axe seems too slow and clunky. Why not Columns, Streets of Rage or anything better than Ecco the Dolphin? Seriously.

Wesker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »
The ZX port of Salamander. Which has like two bosses.

iniche

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 12:35:42 PM »
A nice offender here would be Contra Advance: The Alien Wars Ex, which is a sorry excuse of a port of Contra III: The Alien Wars. Instead of making a playable game, they chose to cram in as much of the source material as they could.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »
iniche
Jun 15 2012, 12:35:42 PM
A nice offender here would be Contra Advance: The Alien Wars Ex, which is a sorry excuse of a port of Contra III: The Alien Wars. Instead of making a playable game, they chose to cram in as much of the source material as they could.[/quote]Agreed. >_> The Game Boy version is a lot better if you ask me.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »
Sachen's ports of their NES titles to the Game Boy are mostly iffy.  The ones from their multicarts (Magic Maze, Magical Tower, etc.) were lackluster, and their color ports (excluding Thunder Blast Man, since it likely wasn't even done by them,) while not bad, had some issues such as lackluster sound and physics in JB2's case.  Street Heroes was probably the best one out of them all as far as porting quality; it lacks voice clips and the difficulty setting doesn't work, but it still looks, plays, and sounds rather close to the original.  Too bad they never ported some of their other games like Q-Boy and Locksmith.

As far as official games, Athena for the NES and C64 come to mind, though it's not like the arcade game was anything great to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:57:41 PM by Pepper-98 »