Author Topic: Worst ports of games to other consoles  (Read 26873 times)

iniche

• View Profile
Worst ports of games to other consoles
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »
Awesome Panda
Jun 15 2012, 12:44:14 PM
Agreed. >_> The Game Boy version is a lot better if you ask me.[/quote]I think most people will agree on that. It's definitely the best accessible port of Contra III.

I don't know how or why I missed this, but DOS Contra/Gryzor is by far the worst port of a Contra game. Contra/Gryzor for C64 is also abysmal.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:11:06 AM by iniche »

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
Awesome Panda
Jun 15 2012, 12:44:14 PM
Agreed. >_> The Game Boy version is a lot better if you ask me.[/quote]IMO, the cellphone version of it (by Sina Mobile & KDE) is the best port of Contra III out there.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:26:03 PM by KAGE-008 »

Moneyspider_Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 01:50:03 PM »
80% of the Street Fighter One/II Ports under the US Gold era. Most of them are pure garbage...many of the pirate ports of the NES are better than those!

Countsmegula

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
The Game Boy port of Toy Story was pretty damn horrendous. Horrible controls, slowdown, about 40% of the original content, and ear-splitting music.

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 05:04:42 PM »
Countsmegula
Jun 19 2012, 04:36:25 PM
The Game Boy port of Toy Story was pretty damn horrendous. Horrible controls, slowdown, about 40% of the original content, and ear-splitting music.[/quote]For me, it isn't as bad as the NES pirate version of it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:05:40 PM by KAGE-008 »

tpgb12

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »
Countsmegula
The Game Boy port of Toy Story was pretty damn horrendous. Horrible controls, slowdown, about 40% of the original content, and ear-splitting music.[/quote]I liked the music in the mission breifing screens in the gameboy version. But the rest of the Gameboy version sucks.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 03:11:41 AM »
Five words and one number: Mortal Kombat 3 for Game Boy.

Plus one more word: Mortal Kombat 4 for Game Boy Color. Which was, like, three times worse.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:12:20 AM by Crash Nicker »

nensondubois

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 11:41:05 PM »
tpgb12
Jul 2 2012, 11:18:07 AM
Countsmegula
The Game Boy port of Toy Story was pretty damn horrendous. Horrible controls, slowdown, about 40% of the original content, and ear-splitting music.[/quote]I liked the music in the mission breifing screens in the gameboy version. But the rest of the Gameboy version sucks.[/quote]

Well there is a Super Game Boy soundtrack, a nice border at least. Could have done better.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:41:56 PM by nensondubois »

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 03:05:20 AM »
The official port of The Lion King to the NES (Only released in Europe too, I believe). Undetailed, flat, dull and sometimes grotesque graphics, and only one half of the game and that which was left in there was cut down itself! Music wasn't too bad though.

I know there's probably alot worse out there, but that one was significant to me. Oh, but I've just remembered another one: Donald Duck in Maui Mallard for the Game Boy.

No...Just, no.

Attachments:

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 05:20:59 AM »
RayOfLightning
Sep 1 2012, 03:05:20 AM
The official port of The Lion King to the NES (Only released in Europe too, I believe). Undetailed, flat, dull and sometimes grotesque graphics, and only one half of the game and that which was left in there was cut down itself! Music wasn't too bad though.[/quote]That reminds me, the official NES port of Aladdin was pretty awful as well. Still better than the Aladdin II pirate, but that's not saying much.

Sonic Genesis on the GBA is a complete abomination as well; Somari might not have been good, but at least Hummer Team actually tried to make a decent port. Whoever worked on the former were just lazy arseholes. >_>

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 07:10:52 AM »
Awesome Panda
Sep 1 2012, 05:20:59 AM
RayOfLightning
Sep 1 2012, 03:05:20 AM
The official port of The Lion King to the NES (Only released in Europe too, I believe). Undetailed, flat, dull and sometimes grotesque graphics, and only one half of the game and that which was left in there was cut down itself! Music wasn't too bad though.[/quote]That reminds me, the official NES port of Aladdin was pretty awful as well. Still better than the Aladdin II pirate, but that's not saying much.

Sonic Genesis on the GBA is a complete abomination as well; Somari might not have been good, but at least Hummer Team actually tried to make a decent port. Whoever worked on the former were just lazy arseholes. >_>[/quote]Aladdin on the NES may have been rather lacklustre compared to the original but I wouldn't say it was bad, just...really meh. Still fun to play now and then though, whereas the NES Lion King game just sucked, give me Super Game's version any day!

And jeez, I'm surprised I didn't think of Sonic Genesis, guess I just try to block it out from my memory. x3 It's the UNgame of Sonic Games, well...for me anyways. xD

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 10:33:30 PM »
1942 for the NES. It's way too slow, they replaced the whistles from the original with annoying beeps, and everything flickers too much.

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 02:17:32 AM »
Linkrulezall
Sep 12 2012, 10:33:30 PM
1942 for the NES. It's way too slow, they replaced the whistles from the original with annoying beeps, and everything flickers too much.[/quote]^Agreed. That's really all there is to say. Just. Agreed.

Though if I may mention, the C64 port of 1942 was kickass.

Doomkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »
I think 'Doom' and 'Street Fighter II' take the cake when it comes to which games have been raped by and tossed back and forth between companies to get it on every platform in existance. 'Doom' on SNES, 32x, GBA = Awful as puke. 'DoomDS' could have been a brilliant idea, since it actually could have run similar to the PC version, but these companies often don't see the obvious.

Street Fighter II on the ZX spectrum, Amiga, hell even the DOS versions (just to name a very small few, there are about 30 billion clones out there) are just abominations. Awful music, non-existant gameplay.. if the fighter is moving at 4 FPS, its a stretch even calling it a fight. The pirated NES versions (Master Fighter II and Street Fighter III) are, and I quote, "Miyamotoesque" compared to 95% of 'official' ports.

If you aren't playing Street Fighter II on a SNES, Genesis or real Arcade machine, you're not even playing SFII since the same skills don't apply.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:42:47 PM by Doomkid »

iniche

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »
Wow, you sure have no taste.

Doom on SNES was an impressive feat and showed that graphics could never overtake the gameplay. It featured accuracy of the levels and monster variety not seen in most of the console Doom ports of its time. And GBA port, are you serious? You're going to rip on a translation of a game that was impressively translated to a handheld system, no less? At least you got the 32X part right.