Author Topic: Super Mario World 64... is it worth playing?  (Read 11646 times)

Brn89

• View Profile
Super Mario World 64... is it worth playing?
« on: October 16, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »
So, we all know about the above mentioned game that is currently undumped and I need to ask... judging from videos of the game where people have played it on real hardware, is it really worth playing? I mean, it looks exactly like Super Mario World but with different sounds. I fail to see what's special about it :unsure:
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »
I'm guessing it's probably because to spot the differences between that game and the original. Mind you, some of them are pretty obvious.

Brn89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »
I couldn't see any differences in it... care to tell me them? Well, apart from the title screen.
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
well, it has way fewer levels, it controls like crap, and the final boss is some kind of black ball thing.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »
And the music is mostly stolen from random Mega Drive games. :P

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
Yet it's still head and shoulders above any of the unlicensed platformers for SNES.

Too bad it's not just a graphically updated version of the Famicom version.

I've been trying for months to get this thing dumped but unfortunately I don't see it happening any time soon, if ever.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
Cheetahmen
Oct 16 2011, 03:35:47 PM
I'm guessing it's probably because to spot the differences between that game and the original. Mind you, some of them are pretty obvious.[/quote]Not to mention that the only other "pirate original" Mario game on the system is Squirrel King, which is technically a hack.  It's pretty interesting in that respect and that it's an actual attempt at a Mario pirate for the Megadrive (think the appeal that Somari has among people).  And to add to Taizou's comment: yes, the controls are bad.  That, and the level design is pretty awful on top of it.  The swinging platform in the second level requires blind jumping to land on (or precision guessing if you want to try and land on the tiny stationary block at the center of it.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:12:33 PM by Pepper-98 »

Smedis2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
Anyone have any screenshots of the final boss?

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:01 PM »
I've seen it written that the run mechanic is sloppy, and requires you to hold the A button down.

While I agree that it is poorly implemented, you're not required to hold any button to run. If you just hold the directional pad down for a couple seconds you'll get up to running speed. It's crappy and not very Mario-like, but once you understand the mechanics of it the game is a bit more tolerable.

Just as a side note for those interested; this game has some strange TMSS/protection schemes going on that is making it very hard to dump. It's designed to skip the initial "produced by or under license" screen, and probably because of this the normal bootup routine isn't normal, so you can't use a SegaCD transfer cable (the game still boots even with the correct pin covered). It hides detection from normal copiers so they don't detect a cartridge inserted. The memory is made up of both chips and a globtops, so it's not a simple matter of desoldering and dumping a particular set of chips.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 04:44:11 AM »
Azathoth
Oct 18 2011, 08:50:01 PM
While I agree that it is poorly implemented, you're not required to hold any button to run. If you just hold the directional pad down for a couple seconds you'll get up to running speed. It's crappy and not very Mario-like, but once you understand the mechanics of it the game is a bit more tolerable.[/quote]I think they shot themselves in the foot by doing that, as they could've just assinged the "run" mechanic to the button used for throwing fireballs. :P

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
SMW64 is dumped, but the protection is a bitch. It may still be a while before a completely patched version can be put out. It has some pretty crazy hardware and software protection that's easier to just emulate than patch, if a patch is even possible.

I'll try and get some screenshots posted soon.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:49:42 AM »
How did it get dumped? Is it more than just the dump that was done with a Retrode before?

This sounds interesting :)

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17522#17522

Guess it's a matter of waiting for the cart owner to share it, which I'll assume they will. Even if they don't apparently all that info there can be used by anyone else to dump it.

Is it your cart, Azathoth?

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »
I don't think that's Azathoth. This guy's in France while Azathoth is from America. :P
Whoops never read the post this Eke guy made.  :$
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:36:25 PM by Robbi »

LocalH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 07:35:37 PM »
I wish the ROM would hurry up and get released in its unmodified form. I know it only runs on Genesis Plus but it's not like it's a rare prototype or anything, it's a shitty unlicensed version of SMW.