Author Topic: Super Mario World 64... is it worth playing?  (Read 11645 times)

Barver

• View Profile
Super Mario World 64... is it worth playing?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 12:37:09 AM »
I'm sending my cart off to Andlabs so we might see a dump soon! In the meantime I dumped it with a Retrode and, as expected, it does nothing. Looking in a tile editor it looks obvious a lot of the data is missing, barely makes it halfway before it turns into blank space, in addition to some of the graphics repeating themselves.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 08:00:47 AM »
If it'll save you the trouble, this will be available in just a few days (depending on how slow the post is).

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
So the donator of the cart Eke got is going to allow it to be public? I guess protection is cracked then?

Wish I asked you before bringing my cart back from home! Well, as long as it's released it doesn't matter.

andlabs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »
The protection was cracked ages ago in that SpritesMind post; it was just that Eke was asked by the person who gave him the cart not to release the dump until further notice. If his dump gets released before mine/ours, then mine/ours will serve as verification.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 10:23:06 PM »
The post confused me really. Eke said it's cracked yet it doesn't work in anything but that one Wii emulator, and he said it might be possible to make a patch. Made it sound like there was more needed to be done besides waiting for the donator to say it's OK to put the ROM out.

bootsector

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 05:52:56 AM »
Dumped SMW64 (untouched) should run just fine under Windows using RetroArch + GenplusGX 1.7.3: http://rghost.net/42623264

bootsector

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »
Do you have a dump that works for you? I used the Retrode dump from cart and the music freezes, plus the game doesn't go further after the intro screen with the text box.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 02:46:26 PM »
..Is there any dump out there? Y'know, shared publicly? :\

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 02:53:22 PM »
All the protection routines are easier to emulate than manually patch. Until another emulator author includes those routines in their emulator it will only work with Gens Plus GX.

The information provided by Eke could be used by someone to manually patch the ROM, and if they do my hat's off to them!

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »
I'd provide my ROM to anyone that can. I can't understand a single thing that post says and how I'd do any sort of "applying" that stuff to it :P

I'd share the ROM, but of course it's best it's not publicly out there unless it works fully, else it will spread and cause grief. Though I might share it if I could at the least figure out how to get it working on Gens GX. Unlike Eke's shots, I can't get into any levels..what gives?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:13:46 PM by Barver »

bootsector

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
ROM dumped by Eke is already 100% confirmed working with his emulator (both on Wii and on Windows via RetroArch). Now we just need the rom so we can all enjoy it! :)

PS: No, I don't have the ROM. I'm just the guy who created the device Eke used to dump it.
Barver
Jan 10 2013, 02:44:49 PM
Do you have a dump that works for you? I used the Retrode dump from cart and the music freezes, plus the game doesn't go further after the intro screen with the text box.

Retrode is unable to dump this. You only get garbage with it.[/quote]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:52:54 PM by bootsector »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »
Ah, I see. I guess your device dumps things a little differently from a Retrode, since my dump isn't working on that emu properly. Something must be different from the kind of dump you get from yours..

andlabs

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 02:07:48 AM »
To be more precise, there are three things that the cartridge appears to mask out with a Retrode: the level art, the level layouts, and the copy of GEMS used for the SFX and most of the in-game music. In their place you get $00s and $FFs repeated every several KB (I forget the exact number), with some garbage bytes thrown in for some reason. (By the way, the game loads level art and layouts into VRAM and reads them from there.)

Eke's post described how the custom hardware works; that knowledge combined with the dumper he used (which he also said in that post) can be used by someone (like myself, soon) with both to dump the ROM. However, Genesis Plus GX is the only emultor to actually have support for everything put in so far.

As far as patching the ROM goes, one thing makes it easier: there are no indirect jumps, so everything disassembles in one go, making it trivial to find all the access points and replace the code. I might do just that after someone (myself or someone else) releases a raw dump.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 02:09:53 AM by andlabs »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 11:03:06 PM »
Well, it's out so have at it so I can use it on another emu and find cheats =p

andlabs

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 04:17:09 AM »
I'll patch out the protection after I finish this and do this. I'm still interested in doing that verification dump though =P