Author Topic: Overmax OV-Gameplayer  (Read 11446 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
Been a little bit busy lately so I don't have time to take tons of screenshots or anything just yet, but I got this handheld recently: http://www.overmania.pl/0-64-konsola_overmax_fioletowa_gameplayer_111_gier_sluchawki_av-produkt.html
(Overmax btw are the worst for using the wrong screenshots on things, the game in the top image and obviously the one where it's connected to a TV aren't actually on here. Sometimes every single one of their promo pics and box screenshots for a console depict games from something else)

Its manufactured by Macro Winners originally, its a VT168 (I think) based handheld with "111" games - actually 96 games, 15 are repeats. Macro Winners' own page for the thing actually says "96 Games,can extension to 111 games".
so what is the point of that, Macro Winners. Jesus.

the console itself is reasonably well made and the controls are decent, it has a rubberised coating that feels a bit cheap though. and the sound from the inbuilt speaker is terrible but the only headphones that work are the included set (which, equally, are terrible) because it uses the same jack as the A/V out and it is evidently a proprietary connection.

Anyway the games are Cube Tech and Waixing's stuff mostly seen on various 16-bit MiWis, theyre split into five sections:

8 in 1 - Cube Tech sports games. Strangely the baseball game in here has the same music as the menu screen on Nanjing's Sport 6 in 1/Wow/Vii etc.

16 in 1 A - Waixing games. Lots of these are on the iSports I have but there are a few differences in some of them, Motor Storm has an intro for example & Archery is missing its awesome Ace Attorney title screen ):

16 in 1 B - More waixing games. Super X-Man is in here but it's the same as Commander from the iSports with a different title screen, it's not the one seen elsewhere with selectable characters

68 in 1 - a ton of Cube Tech games. with varying levels of quality and music stealage. This is where the 15 repeats are (seriously Macro Winners, why bother).
interestingly(?) a few of the games on Senca's Family Sports series are pretty much identical to some of the games on here, with different graphics. these plug & play developers really confuse me.. Cube Tech, Waixing, Senca, Shenzhen Niutai, Jungletac & Nice Code and god only knows how many more all have weird little connections like that going on. It seems like theres just the same few people going round all these companies sometimes.

Drum Master- 3 two-button rhythm games. On a MiWi you'd shake each Mi-mote (yes that's what they're called) instead but with buttons they're too simple really. two have poorly sampled full songs though, namely Hot Stuff & I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing
here's a quick game list:

8 in 1:
1. Extreme Power Soccer
2. Bowling Master
3. VR Tennis: World Champ
4. Baseball World League
5. Table Tennis
6. Master Golf
7. TV Boxing
8. Fishing master

16 in 1 A:
1. Highway Racing
2. Tank
3. Shudu
4. Hitting Mice
5. Lawn Purge
6. Kakuro Master
7. Edacity Snakes
8. Boxes World
9. Over Speed Racing
10. Diamond
11. Archery
12. Bee Fighting
13. Fish War
14. Shooting Ballons
15. Motor Storm
16. Zuma

16 in 1 B:
1. Super X Man
2. Merry Noshery
3. Protean Girl
4. Apple Chess
5. Poker Showhand
6. Card
7. Javelin
8. Add Em Up
9. High Jump
10. Trap
11. 110 Hurdles
12. Fencing
13. Triple
14. Billiards
15. Bomber Man
16. The Mouse and the Cat

"68" in 1 (excluding repeats):
1. Maggie and Anto
2. Racehorse
3. Skateboard
4. Boxing
5. Motorboat
6. StrongMAN
7. SuperSky
8 .Master Slam
9. Maze
10. Honor and Peace
11. Monkey King
12. Squirrel
13. Sea Wolf
14. Backgammon
15. Firecracker
16. Cat
17. Ice World
18. Smart Eye
19. Rabbit
20. Precipice
21. Push Gem
22. The Car
23. Duel
24. Push Boxs
25. Pets Crossing
26. Loop Legend
27. Fancy
28. Farm Keeper
29. Apex Gun
30. Boom Blocks
31. Smart Bomber
32. ????? (untitled)
33. Last Hero
34. Harry
35. Virtual Table Soccer
36. Pro-Crack
37. Rugged Hammer
38. Hammer
39. Dogde Ball
40. Aqua Mix
41. Armored Fox
42 .Maze Ball
43. Fighting Man
44. Sky Roller
45. Boxing Match
46. Skee
47. Roll Ball
48. Sweeper
49. Shoot Hoop
50. Edacity Snakes (different one)
51. Space Ghost
52. Stone Age
53 .Quasi-Archery

also it must be said after playing it for a while even the crap stock headphones are a vast improvement over the internal speaker. Screen is good though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:04:08 PM by taizou »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:23:02 AM »
Im gonna post a few impressions of these. Because. because I can. Starting with the sports games:

1. Extreme Power Soccer - that penalty shootout game that's on all the MiWis. Advertises Ultimate Products in the background so I guess this version was supposed to go on a Zone, but the URL is wrong. nice going there.

2. Bowling Master - a bowling game. quite a simple one. you can choose your ball weight if that even makes any difference, and then all you control is the ball position, you can't choose direction or power or anything. Music I'm sure is stolen.

3. VR Tennis: World Champ - another Miwi mainstay here. You know the score I'm sure. Press A to return the ball and... keep doing that. Like Wii Sports Tennis except without the, you know, game.

4. Baseball World League  - Weird baseball game. There's not much to it, you hit the ball (and you will, unless you completely neglect to press A) and then a weird little cutscene plays out where you either get a run or get caught out. And you only play one innings and then you're booted back to the title screen. I mean I don't live in America or Japan so I don't know much about baseball but I'm sure there's more to it than this. Also this is the one with the music from Nanjing's Sport 6 in 1 thingy.

5. Table Tennis - just a table tennis game, yknow. I think I recognise the menu backgrounds from some other table tennis game. but the music is definitely from Tennis Exciting by Waixing

6. Master Golf - Golf game. Again seems overly simplified, you can't change the direction of your shot or anything, just choose a club and set the power. The golfer sprite is stolen from Neo Turf Masters because literally every 16-bit Chinese golf game steals graphics from Neo Turf Masters to some extent or another (Waixing's steals so much it's basically a port of that game). Also the score screen tells you to "push any key to next" but in fact you can only push start to next. Now thats just shoddy.

7. TV Boxing - Again this is on a lot of MiWis. Sometimes it's called TV Karate. Pretty standard boxing game, but not a bad one. The sprites are even original and everything. Imagine that.

8. Fishing Master - fishing game. set up a bunch of options and then you just have to catch fish until the time runs out, and if you hit the weight target (which you will, it's easy) it says "you win" and then you're back to the title screen.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »
taizou
Aug 21 2011, 10:23:02 AM
4. Baseball World League  - Weird baseball game. There's not much to it, you hit the ball (and you will, unless you completely neglect to press A) and then a weird little cutscene plays out where you either get a run or get caught out. And you only play one innings and then you're booted back to the title screen. I mean I don't live in America or Japan so I don't know much about baseball but I'm sure there's more to it than this. Also this is the one with the music from Nanjing's Sport 6 in 1 thingy.[/quote]Is this one from the NJ Pocket the same one? Or are there somehow two bootleg baseball games with the same gameplay? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UohK86isjj0

Edit: Well, of course it's not the same, the music's different. :) But I'm curious how similar it actually is, because I've had my suspicions about who developed that one-- there are some very Cube-like things about it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:07:15 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:05:11 PM »
codeman38
Aug 21 2011, 11:59:19 AM
taizou
Aug 21 2011, 10:23:02 AM
4. Baseball World League  - Weird baseball game. There's not much to it, you hit the ball (and you will, unless you completely neglect to press A) and then a weird little cutscene plays out where you either get a run or get caught out. And you only play one innings and then you're booted back to the title screen. I mean I don't live in America or Japan so I don't know much about baseball but I'm sure there's more to it than this. Also this is the one with the music from Nanjing's Sport 6 in 1 thingy.[/quote]Is this one from the NJ Pocket the same one? Or are there somehow two bootleg baseball games with the same gameplay? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UohK86isjj0

Edit: Well, of course it's not the same, the music's different. :) But I'm curious how similar it actually is, because I've had my suspicions about who developed that one.[/quote]Probably not, seeing as Taizou says that the version on the Overmax has one inning and the video shows three of them being played. Also, I'm not American but I'm pretty sure baseball has 9 innings, or 10 depending on certain conditions. :P

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:06:53 PM »
Cheetahmen
Aug 21 2011, 12:05:11 PM
Probably not, seeing as Taizou says that the version on the Overmax has one inning and the video shows three of them being played. Also, I'm not American but I'm pretty sure baseball has 9 innings, or 10 depending on certain conditions. :P[/quote]Uh, yeah, you're right. Note to self: must find more caffeine this morning, brain still not awake. :lol:

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
yeah it seems to be a completely different game to the one on the NJ Pocket - unlike the tennis games where there are a few similarities indicating one might have been based on the other, the baseball games have pretty much nothing in common. Incidentally I'm sure the version on the iSports had a team and player select screen rather than just jumping straight into the game.. but maybe I'm thinking of another one, there are entirely too many of these things around.
okay I just played the drum game with Hot Stuff again - the first time i played I couldn't make out the lyrics what with the awful sound quality, it didn't sound quite right but I just assumed it was a cover or something. But I've figured out what it is: it's this. What the hell!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:12:56 PM by taizou »

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »
Lol amazing. Strange they used that version instead of the Donna Summer one. I suppose they are footie fans :D

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:31:23 PM »
taizou
Aug 21 2011, 12:16:42 PM
okay I just played the drum game with Hot Stuff again - the first time i played I couldn't make out the lyrics what with the awful sound quality, it didn't sound quite right but I just assumed it was a cover or something. But I've figured out what it is: it's this. What the hell![/quote]Could've been worse, they could've used the Anfield Rap. :P Is the other song the original version or a cover by another football club?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing doesn't sound like the original, sounds like kids singing it for the most part. But I think the lyrics are the same as the original, they're not football themed anyway.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:51:45 PM »
I might be wrong, but wouldn't that be the Coca Cola advert?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »
nah it's definitely a non-Coke version, it doesn't have the "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" line.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:50:43 PM »
There was actually a single of "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" that didn't have the Coke plug. But I doubt that's the version in the game either...

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »
Yeah, it's not that one either. incidentally the Drum Master menu has a Manual/Random option that doesn't seem to do anything.. Maybe some other versions of this have multiple songs per game or something?

Veemon

• View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 11:20:58 PM »
I guess maybe they do. It's so hard to say with pirates, there's soooooo many versions of these stupid things because of companies stealing from each other.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax OV-Gameplayer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 12:00:53 AM »
Oh dude I know. I've been trying to compile some kind of database of games built into consoles like this, but there's so much stuff out there that it's driving me a bit nuts.