Author Topic: Shi Kong Xing Shou - Galactic Beasts/Space Time Star Beast  (Read 51508 times)

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
Shi Kong Xing Shou - Galactic Beasts/Space Time Star Beast
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »
Qiezei
Jun 21 2012, 07:26:10 PM
Get yer walkthrough here!  Both parts are in the ZIP file.[/quote]Yay! Now I can continue playing through this to get its damn ending.

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 01:42:04 AM »
A follow-up to my previous post; if all else fails and I still can't get my rock monster to smash away the boulders I need him to, I may have to back up my save, losing the two monsters I caught in the secret forest, plus progress on leveling up the monsters.

If only Shui Hu Shen Shou had the same attention span as Shi Kong. It had nicer graphics (mostly with the monsters), allowed backtracking to previous areas, and even had somewhat of a darker plot. Then maybe we'd see full sprite rips (mugs, tilesets, everything), and create a game that merges the two games into one (editing the SKXS monsters to make them like the ones in SHSS, and replacing/severely modifying the plagrised ones, like the Pokemon and Telefang ones, or the monsters that look too alike/similar to one another. Shui Hu's monsters will be kept the way they are.

Yes I am planning my own fan game to Shi Kong and Shui Hu.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2012, 09:02:32 AM »
Superjustinbros
Jun 24 2012, 01:42:04 AM
A follow-up to my previous post; if all else fails and I still can't get my rock monster to smash away the boulders I need him to, I may have to back up my save, losing the two monsters I caught in the secret forest, plus progress on leveling up the monsters.

If only Shui Hu Shen Shou had the same attention span as Shi Kong. It had nicer graphics (mostly with the monsters), allowed backtracking to previous areas, and even had somewhat of a darker plot. Then maybe we'd see full sprite rips (mugs, tilesets, everything), and create a game that merges the two games into one (editing the SKXS monsters to make them like the ones in SHSS, and replacing/severely modifying the plagrised ones, like the Pokemon and Telefang ones, or the monsters that look too alike/similar to one another. Shui Hu's monsters will be kept the way they are.

Yes I am planning my own fan game to Shi Kong and Shui Hu.[/quote]Actually, it would be even better if the only thing changed was that two-player features like battling and trading were enabled, along with an expanded pokedex-thing to include the other game's monsters.  Each game is different enough as it is, so it puts them ahead of even the latest Pokemon games.  It would work thematically in the same was that Sanrio Time Net (another Pokemon clone) did: one would be a "past version" (Shui Hu Shen Shou) and the other a "future version" (Shi Kong Xing Shou).

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »
I forgot to mention the multiplayer features, thanks for bringing that up. Though how I'd see the multiple versions thing going, it'd be only in SKXS+, Past Version, the landscaping would look more oriental and be altered slightly, to fit with Shui Hu, while still featuring the same plot (Ballot's father goes missing, he must collect engine pieces and (most of) the beasts from Shi Kong, though with a Shui Hou flavor. Both SK and SH beasts appear in both games, though like with Pokemon, the game you play, either Past or Future, determines what beasts you can confront. This remake will bring fourth Shui Hu's tower feature, and NPC's that demand battle if you approach them in their line of sight, which now appear on the routes, which are extended significantly, and also can be connected to more than two towns and have more interesting features, including one-way routes that lead back to a previous town/route, sometimes are blocked by obstacles that cannot be removed the first time the player may come across them.

The overall world map will be a fusion of both Shi Kong, Shui Hu, and in some (though minor) cases Pokemon. For example, there'd be the towers in the major cities where you fight leaders for medals, the amount of water-filled areas which require Merlith to cross increase, and you even spend a part inside Ballot's mind when he dreams of seeing his father, with monsters to catch and a single man at the end that prevents escape unless his beasts are defeated. In places where you could become trapped until you complete the area, a character appears and allows the player to warp back time, sending him/her to the area before the player enters the inescapable-until-defeat area. Fallen beasts do not revive with 1HP after battle, and losing all monsters causes a white-out and respawn at the last healing center the player visited.

The partner beasts can now be checked on ala Pokemon Yellow with emotions and everything, and they can also obtain new abilities as the game progresses.

*Bladeberus, whom starts with no ability, later is able to boost the player's walking speed (like what a certain monster can do in Shui Hu Shen Shou, because of this, your default movement speed is slow) by 1.5x, destroy rocks with a headbutt, and move certain boulders, the later both which allude to Rock Smash and Strength, two HM's from the Pokemon games.
*Beattro can learn to fly/warp players to visited towns, for quicker transportation.
*Electreep learns later on to turn on/charge up machines for a variety of purposes.
*Chromanix can burn down weak trees and remove them temporarily.
*Merlith, besides crossing over water, can learn to climb up waterfalls, and very late into the game, even dive into deep water automatically upon the player's command.
*Muserode can re-trigger battles/rematches with defeated "trainers" after taking 500 steps following victory.
*Signaliton can scan areas for hidden items, some which are unavailable until they are revealed. Must charge between uses.
*Drawville gains no new abilities, but it's ability to spawn random items is made much more strict. The player must now take 750 steps and also must wait 8 minutes before it's ability can be used. the chances of spawning better items are much rarer, and it always fails when inside a building.

I'll get more into detail about the beasts and their graphics later in detail soon. For now, I leave you with a chart, detailing all 267 beasts and which ones are determined to be removed and replaced (reds), as well as modified excessively (blues).

EDIT: I found out there is one duplicate spotted in the pic, the liquid dragon that appears both as No. 114 and No. 259. Maybe we could make the second a Poison-based dragon made of oozing sludge instead of water? :facepalm:

UPDATE: Finally figured out the scenario to my rock man refusing to destroy boulders, just back up the save file. I caught the two monsters that I did before the backup, and swapped out one of my monsters for one the Rival abandons after you defeat him in the desert. I secured Chapter 3 not long afterwards and beat the chapter's true boss on my first attempt (it was tricky) and rode a dragon in the water to a new area filled with plant life. So now I'm going to focus on training until I get my current monsters in the Level 28 area (the starter needs to be at least Level 33, and the small fire dragon that I caught in a secret woods area should be anywhere over Level 30. Though I will tell you; leveling up in SHSS is a lot more complicated and time-wasting compared to SKXS.

For those of you that wanted more unused monsters, you've got 'em. Thanks to YY-CHR, I gutted out SHSS and found more monsters not in the dex (they are located far below the listed ones which is why Demonlemon missed them when he ripped the monster graphics last year). I'm going to assemble the sprites later (as they are scrambled) and post them here.

But just like Shi Kong, Shui Hu has seen but uncatchable monsters, like an overpowered Level 99 one that you have to lose to to continue the story; it is a large blue snake-dragon confronted at the beginning of Chapter 3.

In terms of the SKXS+ beast chart, I will make the final decisions on which ones will be modified and/or replaced, which now will include Shui Hu's roster.

P.S. If anyone knows this; what is the program Demonlemon used to extract the sprites? They don't appear anywhere like what you see in YY-CHR. :/

ANOTHER UPDATE: It's time to Kong this Shou. (does Donkey Kong wear shous?)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:03:39 PM by Superjustinbros »

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
Double post, don't sue me.

But anyways I got a dragon that surfs over pools of water and the third badge. Apparently there's a tower in a cave underground surrounded by water, and when you approach the tower, it shows a clear background. So maybe the cave is just a pathway to the tower? :huh:

Starter's now at level 32 and I got others that are in the late 20's zone. If you need anything SKXS or SHSS, try looking at my previous post. I ripped all the unused/glitch monsters and added them into the list of SKXS+ monsters.

EDIT: Mockup for a sample battle in SKXS+, just to demonstrate that it will have SHSS monsters. Looks legit huh?

UPDATE: Yea I'm aware "Pidgrot" sounds too similar to "Pidgeot", it'd help if translations were readily available. :B

Attachments:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:25:09 PM by Superjustinbros »

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
And we're back with a tri-post. Polished up a few of the current monster's appearances and started giving them types.

L -> R: Normal, Fighting, Shadow, Fire, Water, Grass, Stone, Sky, Physic, Electric, Steel, Sound, Ice, and Poison.
(I may have to split the "Shadow" type into Ghost and Dark)

I also got a lot of ideas from the Pokemon Gold hack Pokemon Prism, possibly way more than necessary. How about areas that only your Parter Beast (or in a few cases, any beast in your party) may enter? Or maybe the Zimmers are a whole undercover criminal organization and Lucy and Kuro just being the lone underdogs of the crew? Or how about our own Power Rangers knockoff that tries to do good but only messes things up further? How about a Beast orphanage where you can adopt abandoned Beasts by NPCs or other players across the web?

And here's updated on how fainted beasts work. Just like in Pokemon, any beast that reaches 0HP faints, and unless Revive or Max Revive or even Full Restore is used on it, it will stay down unless revived at a Health Center. Beasts in storage are all automatically healed, wheres in SKXS and SHSS, you had to take them out and then heal them, as any Beast you acquired when you already have a team of six (the current partner beast, plus five others) is not healed. The abilities of fainted partner beasts can still be used in the over world, they just cannot fight in battles, as they've suffered too much damage. Of course you could always change your team leader to make sure you don't end up with six fainted monsters at the same time. :P

Multiplayer battles work with players depositing all their Beasts (partners and others caught) then selecting up to six to combat another player's team. Trading is self-explanatory, though partner Beasts cannot be traded.

Oh yeah, and I need translations for the monsters from Shui Hu Shen Shou if Sink is still around, and before I go, I'll leave you with the logos for the remake:

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2012, 05:59:45 PM »
Just so you know, Musical Soul/Muserode (010) is a slight edit of Quicksilver from Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children.  I know you wanted to keep all the monsters original, so I though I'd point that out.

Oh, and is this remake going to stay 8-bit?

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »
I am going to leave partner beasts intact since Beattro is being kept the way he is. I could make Muserode more like a snake by thickening his tail (making it less jagged in the process) and up the design of his headphones or maybe connect the headphones to his side (like how people stuff mp3 players in their pockets) Also, many of the basic Beasts' similarities are much more noticeable compared to Muserode, as their sprites are traced/redrawn while Beattro's and Muserode's are at least designed from scratch. I might badass-up the more simpler Beasts (like No. 69) to make it look like some inspiration went into them.

With the one that was based on the fox demon (No. 135), I may make it into one of those yokai umbrellas with the one eye, arms, and long tounge.

The remake will stay 8bit, and will have a lot of soundtracks from Game Boy RPG's, plus Shi Kong, Shui Hu and Vast Fame's other GB titles that are RPGs. Pokemon Gold/Sliver/Crystal and Telefang's music are guaranteed to be heard at one point or another.

The Shadow type has now been officially split into Dark and Ghost.

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2012, 01:25:58 AM »
Big apologies for the bump, but I was able to submit my sheets from Shi Kong onto the Spriters Resource (However I left out the mugshot sheet because it lacks the animal characters like the pig and crab, and the Beasts since like mentioned earlier, they are just cropped from their in-game sprites, with Bladeberus' eye modified. And I need to finalize what side-characters use unique mugshots and which ones just use the ones shared by multiple characters). I also didn't submit the monster graphics I'm using for SKXS+ since they are a mix of Shui Hu Shen Shou's beasts as well as Shi Kong, and they are also in greyscale, not color alike the game itself.

The intro graphics of Yan were also put on a separate page for Shui Hu Shen Shou, and like Shi Kong, I didn't submit Shui Hu's mugshots as they are incomplete.

If I get enough motivation, I may continue playing Shi Kong to get the proper color palettes for all the Beasts and the non-human character mugshots, and dig deep in with YY-CHR to find any mugs that may have gone unused.

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2012, 02:06:58 AM »
Yea, I'm back; couldn't resist doing this.

I compiled up just about next to all the mugshots for SKXS+F and SKXS+P should they ever see the light of day. Sorry if the recolor of the shaded parts of everyone's skin makes them disturbingly realistic. Not sure what role Yan Long could take, though if I ever do have the newscasters from Crazy Monopoly (thanks for bringing it up on your personal blog, Qiezei), make an appearance, I'll use the original sprites as they're cleaner.

MefistaCenobica

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:06 PM »
Necrothreading, but doc'ed playthrough suffers from information loss - instead of monster lists in few places there are accidentally copied unopened "spoiler" bars (which are uncklickable and basically pictures).

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
MefistaCenobica
Jan 26 2013, 05:50:06 PM
Necrothreading, but doc'ed playthrough suffers from information loss - instead of monster lists in few places there are accidentally copied unopened "spoiler" bars (which are uncklickable and basically pictures).[/quote]Ah, that's my fault.  The uploaded thing is what I copied from the original thread at the RX Comm before it shut down, and Sink Penol (the guy who did the original walkthrough/translation) hasn't returned since.  I didn't completely proof-check it when I was copying it, so that comes up every now and then.  My apologies for that!  Hopefully Sink will return one day and post up the walkthrough here in its entirety.

MefistaCenobica

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »
Don't apologise, I am not blaming you for anything) just wanted to say.
I hope that guy'll come back.
I've read this walkthrough when it was availible online, and wanted to ask - was that axe-wielding monster really named Jason in-game, or memory fails me?

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
Yup, that's what it was called in the game.  "傑森" (Jié sēn) is the romanized Chinese way of saying that name.

MefistaCenobica

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2013, 12:14:38 AM »
Awesome XD *I am not friday the 13th fan,but just like that sort of references*
I put him into my sig on serebiiforums after reading that walkthrough for the 1st time: