Author Topic: need some help sorting a few gbc pirate dumps...  (Read 13893 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
need some help sorting a few gbc pirate dumps...
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 01:14:02 PM »
I'm not sure about Sonic 6, I have seen real carts but I dunno if they were the original release or if it was a fan-made rom hack that eventually got pirated like the SNES Sonic 4.

my hunch would be that its a pirate creation, based on the name at least.. but I doubt "Sonic World" is a company or anything, its probably just one of those random fake copyrights that get inserted into pirate hacks (like Super Mario 14, which is "©1993 Wario")

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »
My copy of the Dragon Quest 1&2 doesn't have any debug menus. Well, as far as I went anyway, I might have not gone further than the title screen since I was just testing. I'll have to check again.

And Sonic 6 is a cart release, yeah. The cover is stolen from Sonic R for Saturn.

DoctahWiwey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »
etabeta78
Mar 24 2011, 04:02:11 AM
yeah, Lei Nu Ji Shen is indeed in GoodGBx. I did not know though that it was the same as Final Robot (I should have checked the header string, probably)

UPDATE
---------

ok. here I am for another round of questions about GBC pirates

1. do you have any info (as usual proper title if mislabeled, producer, year, title in chinese characters, etc.) about the following titles: Legend of Heroes, Pokemon 2004, Stone Age and Zelda Shi Kong Zhi Zhang? they don't boot in MESS so that I have some problem checking by myself :)
[/quote]

I've tried to run Zelda Shi Kong Zhi Zhang (my Chinese friend said it could mean "Zelda is a Control Freak" >_>) in VisualBoyAdvanceCE, bgb, and Gambatte. BGB in particular gives a "ROM checksum fails" error, though there is another dump that has 4 or more errors (including the ROM checksum failure). Sadly, the game never seems to load past a blank screen so I'm not even sure if it's a playable game. I mean, the error window does say it wouldn't matter to a regular GameBoy but it doesn't load on any of the emulators I have tried. Then again maybe I don't quite understand how Gameboy emulation works and there just hasn't been a good dump of the game yet. *shrug*

I hope I helped, even if it was only a bit.

One more thing I just noticed: The header in bgb for the Zelda game says DIGIMON. I'm not sure if that has any significance but the header seems to be different depending on which game you are playing.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:54:34 AM by DoctahWiwey »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 02:53:04 PM »
DoctahWiwey
Jul 2 2011, 09:27:55 PM
One more thing I just noticed: The header in bgb for the Zelda game says DIGIMON. I'm not sure if that has any significance but the header seems to be different depending on which game you are playing.[/quote]Yeah, that was one of the things that led me to think that maybe the ROM is in fact a VFame Digimon game. The other being that the Nintendo logo that's checked by the BIOS, which can be displayed with this Python script, reads "DIGI."

Well, that, and the fact that when viewed in a tile editor, there are scrambled bitmaps that are still clearly Digimon characters.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 10:34:27 PM »
Haha, your chinese friend misunderstood the characters to be Zelda是失控...something, not sure what he thought Zhang represented. The title of the game is actually Zelda 時空之章, which is like Zelda The Chapter of Time. I always assumed it was just a pirate of Links Awakening or one of those other two GBC games. It's probably misnamed though, just like how Beggar Prince for MD had been going around as Breath of Fire 3 for unknown reasons.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 11:24:37 PM »
Chapter of Time sounds like a name for Oracle of Ages to me. so i'd say its probably misnamed, unless Vast Fame made a Zelda game and there were just some Digimon leftovers in the ROM.

although that said, I try not to jump to too many conclusions about Chinese GB releases since since my last little haul of four horribly deceptive labels and a broken Yong Yong game >_> NOT THAT IM BITTER OR ANYTHING.
but this might possibly have something to do with it:

the seller called it "塞尔达 时之章" which is "zelda: Shi Zhi Zhang", same title without the "Kong". and the only other cart i've seen like that one is this:

which is, i believe, V.Fame's Millionaire aka Crazy Richman 2 aka Baiwang Dafuweng aka other stuff.

Or maybe V.Fame turned Shi Kong Xing Shou into a Digimon game for mainland China but someone labelling the carts got mixed up between "Shi Kong Zhi Zhang" and "Shi Kong Xing Shou"? I dunno. these are just wild ass guesses as i'm sure you can tell.

ThunderBlastMan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 01:59:35 PM »
I never heard of a Legend of Zelda Pirate before.

DoctahWiwey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »
codeman38
Mar 23 2011, 06:49:04 PM
Cheetahmen
Mar 23 2011, 06:23:01 PM

To make things even more confusing, though, it's actually a title hack of Sintax's 真三國無雙 Zhen San Guo Wu Shuang, officially titled in English as "True Three Kingdoms", as shown on 64scener's site.
#2: 十面埋伏:屠龍篇 Shi Mian Mai Fu: Tu Long Pian = "House of Flying Daggers: Dragon Slayer Chapter"

#4: 十面埋伏:天龍篇 Shi Mian Mai Fu: Tian Long Pian = "House of Flying Daggers: Sky Dragon Chapter"

Incidentally, both of the House of Flying Daggers games are... rather odd. They clearly rip stuff off from Vast Fame's RPGs, but are also clearly not Vast Fame productions. And their music is stolen from Telefang.

[edited to fix the ordering of the two games, which I had backwards...][/quote]To add to what you said, the Dragon Slayer title screen is taken from the Gameboy version of Azure Dreams, and some of the sprites from the Sky Dragon chapter look like they were taken from Azure Dreams and modified a bit. I only noticed it once I started playing the second game and the blocked off gate inside the town reminded me of the game. Sure enough, I looked it up on GameFAQs and it is indeed taken from Azure Dreams.

Oh, I just found something else. When I loaded Sky Dragon and then loaded a save from Dragonslayer, then walked around a bit on the glitched area, I got this:

Glitches just make me so excited for some reason; I hope I'm not putting anyone off.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:42:10 PM by DoctahWiwey »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 09:52:20 PM »
hey thats cool o: i'm sure i've seen "tian cai xiao zi" somewhere before. totally can't remember where though. i wonder if its some kind of easter egg?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 12:32:49 AM »
taizou
Jul 3 2011, 11:24:37 PM
Chapter of Time sounds like a name for Oracle of Ages to me. so i'd say its probably misnamed, unless Vast Fame made a Zelda game and there were just some Digimon leftovers in the ROM. [/quote]Yeah, Oracle of Ages in Japanese is 時空の章. The Chinese title is literally the same, other than the fact that they write the possessive particle differently.
taizou
Jul 6 2011, 09:52:20 PM
hey thats cool o: i'm sure i've seen "tian cai xiao zi" somewhere before. totally can't remember where though. i wonder if its some kind of easter egg?[/quote]I found that same logo when digging through the two Flying Daggers games in a tile editor. Maybe that's where.
Also... that is totally Detective Conan on that Crazy Richman bootleg.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:35:35 AM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 12:46:54 AM »
codeman38
Jul 7 2011, 12:32:49 AM
I found that same logo when digging through the two Flying Daggers games in a tile editor. Maybe that's where.[/quote]ah yeah, that's definitely it.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 12:50:37 AM »
Also, on the Azure Dreams note... even the "GB" on the title screen is stolen from that! Compare the Japanese title screen.

I love how they badly photoshopped the knife in place of the tower, despite it being completely the wrong size. ::snort::

DoctahWiwey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 02:55:56 AM »
codeman38
Jul 7 2011, 12:32:49 AM
I found that same logo when digging through the two Flying Daggers games in a tile editor. Maybe that's where.
Also... that is totally Detective Conan on that Crazy Richman bootleg.[/quote]Which tile editor do you use? The first tile editor that shows up on Google doesn't load actual games.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:56:34 AM by DoctahWiwey »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
Tile Layer Pro, YYCHR, and the as-unfortunately-named-as-ever Tile Molester all work with GB ROMs.

DoctahWiwey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
codeman38
Jul 7 2011, 03:11:44 PM
Tile Layer Pro, YYCHR, and the as-unfortunately-named-as-ever Tile Molester all work with GB ROMs.[/quote]Alright, thank you. Tile Layer Pro and Tile Molester seem pretty user friendly. YYCHR seems a bit daunting, and it won't extract outside the Zip file. If I have the other two, is there anything YYCHR can do that the other two can't accomplish?

I'll PM you if I have anymore questions; I don't want to go too far off-topic.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:34:45 AM by DoctahWiwey »