Author Topic: need some help sorting a few gbc pirate dumps...  (Read 13894 times)

etabeta78

• View Profile
need some help sorting a few gbc pirate dumps...
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:25:32 PM »
first of all, hi to everyone. I'm etabeta, a MESS developer, and I've spent the past few months cataloguing NES/MD/SNES/GBA/GB/GBC games for our lists (in xml format) of software. Differently from other projects, we are very interested in emulating pirate carts (see e.g. the efforts done for megadrive chinese games in HazeMD, whose source code is now merged into MESS), and therefore I have spent many hours digging through piles of unsorted chinese dumps to identify them.

as you might expect, I'd really like to say thanks to all of you guys for the wonderful work you are doing here in this forum and in the wiki: the info you collected have been *fundamental* for putting some order in the huge confusion of unlicensed dumps in GoodGBx.

However, I'd still need some help, because I'm having troubles naming properly a few games which are mislabeled in GoodGBx and which I have not been able to find clear names in the web: could you spend a few minutes answering my questions below?

1. The game labeled in GoodGBx as Gals Fighter is in fact Capcom Fighters 2003 (a title hack of Soul Falchion). therefore, is Gals Fighter still undumped? or is also gals fighter related to Soul Falchion?

2. Could you type here the following chinese title in ideograms and provide a reasonable romanization (from the so called 'Dragonslayer Chapter - Surrounded' game)?

3. And for this one (from the so called 'San Goku Shi - Act C' game)?

4. And (finally) for this one (from the so called 'Sky Dragon' game)?

5. Do you have any idea of where 'Harry Potter' came from?

the intro is the same as Harry Potter 3, but the game is more Metal Slug-like (given the background graphics, I'd say there might exists a chinese Metal Slug ripoff in addition to the dumped 2001 version)

6. Are both Ice Age and Ice Age II by Sintax? and Metal Slug / Metal Slug 2001?

7. Do you know what is the relation between SKOB Fire Emblem (first picture) and Sheng Huo Jiang Mo Lu Wai Chuan (second picture)?

Is the first one the original release and the second one a re-release with hacked title, like the Li Cheng ones? Also what are the exact chinese titles for these games?

8. Do you have any info (developer, year, chinese title in ideograms, etc.) about the following games: 'Final Robot', 'Mo Shou Zheng Ba 3 - Hun Luan Zhi Jie (Warcraft 3)', 'Saishuu Gensou' and 'Zhong Zhuan Qi Bing'?

9. Last but not least, I'd like to clean up the 'Shawu Story' crappy mix up. is it correct that this is San Guo Zhi: Lie Chuan

and this is Shui Hu Shen Shou

?

Sorry for the large number of questions and thanks in advance for any help :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:26:42 PM by etabeta78 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »
etabeta78
Mar 23 2011, 05:25:32 PM
1. The game labeled in GoodGBx as Gals Fighter is in fact Capcom Fighters 2003 (a title hack of Soul Falchion). therefore, is Gals Fighter still undumped? or is also gals fighter related to Soul Falchion?

5. Do you have any idea of where 'Harry Potter' came from?

the intro is the same as Harry Potter 3, but the game is more Metal Slug-like (given the background graphics, I'd say there might exists a chinese Metal Slug ripoff in addition to the dumped 2001 version)

6. Are both Ice Age and Ice Age II by Sintax? and Metal Slug / Metal Slug 2001?[/quote]1. Gals Fighter is dumped under it's original name (I think).

5. I'm pretty sure it's made by Sintax (correct me if I'm wrong on that) and there's another Metal Slug clone out there where the storyline is based off 9/11. (Sintax hacked Metal Slug 2001 to do the same) Also, Harry Potter 3 is a completely different game. (it may or may not be a hack of Parodius, unsure on that because I'm more familiar with the SNES version)

6. I'm pretty sure they are.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »
Cheetahmen
Mar 23 2011, 06:23:01 PM
1. Gals Fighter is dumped under it's original name (I think).
[/quote]Nope, it's still undumped-- taizou attempted to dump it, but there was some weird copy protection that makes it unrunnable. Soul Falchion also has the "Gals Fighters" header, incidentally.

Cheetahmen

5. I'm pretty sure it's made by Sintax (correct me if I'm wrong on that) and there's another Metal Slug clone out there where the storyline is based off 9/11. (Sintax hacked Metal Slug 2001 to do the same) Also, Harry Potter 3 is a completely different game. (it may or may not be a hack of Parodius, unsure on that because I'm more familiar with the SNES version)[/quote]Harry Potter is definitely coded by BBD (has their logo on the GB boot screen if you can emulate it), and uses the same Lemmings music used in several known Sintax games-- so yes, it's probably published by Sintax. BBD also developed Metal Slug 2001 for Sintax.

Cheetahmen

6. I'm pretty sure they are.[/quote]Yep. Both Ice Ages have a hidden Sintax logo, and the second was even listed on Sintax's site in an as-yet-undumped English version.
etabeta78
Mar 23 2011, 05:25:32 PM
8. Do you have any info (developer, year, chinese title in ideograms, etc.) about the following games: 'Final Robot', 'Mo Shou Zheng Ba 3 - Hun Luan Zhi Jie (Warcraft 3)', 'Saishuu Gensou' and 'Zhong Zhuan Qi Bing'?[/quote]Saishuu Gensou is definitely by Sintax. According to the Chinese copyright database, it was released in 2005, and its title is 最終幻想: 無盡沙加 Zuizhong huanxiang: Wujin sha jia. The official English title given by Sintax is "Crystal Age".

Zhong Zhuan Qi Bing is 重裝機兵 in Chinese characters, also released in 2005 by Sintax. It's a port of "Metal Max", and that's its official English title.

etabeta78

9. Last but not least, I'd like to clean up the 'Shawu Story' crappy mix up. is it correct that this is San Guo Zhi: Lie Chuan

and this is Shui Hu Shen Shou

?[/quote]The second is definitely correct. The first is actually San Guo Zhi: Aoshi Tianjia 三國志:傲視天下.
#3 is 吞食天地:赤壁之戰 Tun Shi Tian Di: Chi Bi Zhi Zhan. "Devouring of Heaven and Earth: The Battle of Red Cliffs." (This is actually the Chinese rendering of the Japanese title of Warriors of Fate, incidentally.)

To make things even more confusing, though, it's actually a title hack of Sintax's 真三國無雙 Zhen San Guo Wu Shuang, officially titled in English as "True Three Kingdoms", as shown on 64scener's site.
#2: 十面埋伏:屠龍篇 Shi Mian Mai Fu: Tu Long Pian = "House of Flying Daggers: Dragon Slayer Chapter"

#4: 十面埋伏:天龍篇 Shi Mian Mai Fu: Tian Long Pian = "House of Flying Daggers: Sky Dragon Chapter"

Incidentally, both of the House of Flying Daggers games are... rather odd. They clearly rip stuff off from Vast Fame's RPGs, but are also clearly not Vast Fame productions. And their music is stolen from Telefang.

[edited to fix the ordering of the two games, which I had backwards...]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:06:13 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
Yeah, Gals Fighters is undumped - I own a copy, I've tried to dump it myself but the resulting ROM doesnt run in any emulators - I'm not sure if its a bad dump, copy protection, an emulation issue or what. but if you or any other MESS devs want to take a look at it I could send it over, along with a few others i've attempted.

codeman38

Saishuu Gensou is definitely by Sintax. According to the Chinese copyright database, it was released in 2005, and its title is 最終幻想: 無盡沙加 Zuizhong huanxiang: Wujin sha jia. The official English title given by Sintax is "Crystal Age".

Zhong Zhuan Qi Bing is 重裝機兵 in Chinese characters, also released in 2005 by Sintax. It's a port of "Metal Max", and that's its official English title.[/quote]
they were registered in 2005, but AFAIK many Sintax games were registered a couple of years after they were released. Based on its ID number I'd say Zhong Zhuan Qi Bing/Metal Max was 2003, I dunno about Saishuu Gensou/Zhuizhong Huanxiang/Crystal Age but that was probably around 2002/2003 too - its one of the better made Sintax games so it might have been developed by BBD, but I dont have any proof of that.

codeman38

The second is definitely correct. The first is actually San Guo Zhi: Aoshi Tianjia 三國志:傲視天下.[/quote]
the San Guo Zhi: Lie Chuan title is used on the packaging though, for some reason.
stuff no one's covered yet:

7. SKOB's Fire Emblem's full title is 聖火降魔錄外傳 - 光與暗的輪迴/Sheng Huo Jiang Mo Lu Wai Chuan - Guang Yu An De Lun Hui on-screen, but the title on the packaging omits the "外傳"/Wai Chuan.
"Sheng Huo Jiang Mo Lu Wai Chuan" confusingly has the *other* version's proper title as its ROM name, but its real on-screen title is 新光明与黑暗 / Xin Guang Ming Yu Hei An. (which incidentally seems to be the Chinese title for Shining Force). I'm not sure where this version is from, it does seem to be either a hack or some alternate release by a different publisher though.

8. Final Robot is 雷弩機神/Lei Nu Ji Shen by Gowin, 2000
"Mo Shou Zheng Ba 3 - Hun Luan Zhi Jie (Warcraft 3)" seems to be another hack of Fire Emblem, I don't know much about that one.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:00:04 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »
taizou
Mar 23 2011, 07:23:30 PM
8. Final Robot is 雷弩機神/Lei Nu Ji Shen by Gowin, 2000[/quote]There's a version dumped under the Chinese name that hacks around the copy protection, incidentally. The two should probably be consolidated - Lei Nu Ji Shen [!] and Lei Nu Ji Shen [h1], or something like that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:11:29 PM by codeman38 »

etabeta78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 03:06:13 AM »
First of all, thanks to everyone for the replies. I will soon incorporate these info in our xml list and probably ask for a few more titles-from-screens. :)

taizou

Yeah, Gals Fighters is undumped - I own a copy, I've tried to dump it myself but the resulting ROM doesnt run in any emulators - I'm not sure if its a bad dump, copy protection, an emulation issue or what. but if you or any other MESS devs want to take a look at it I could send it over, along with a few others i've attempted.[/quote]

if you don't mind, send me a link (even by PM). however, be aware that it can take some time before the protection is bypassed: I'm a bit more into the NES side of the emulation than into the GB one, and judge, which is our main GB/GBC expert, is busy with his family at the moment

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 03:18:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum! :)
Also codeman, thanks for that info about Final Robot in the comment above, I gotta find that! :P

etabeta78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:02:11 AM »
yeah, Lei Nu Ji Shen is indeed in GoodGBx. I did not know though that it was the same as Final Robot (I should have checked the header string, probably)

UPDATE
---------

ok. here I am for another round of questions about GBC pirates

1. do you have any info (as usual proper title if mislabeled, producer, year, title in chinese characters, etc.) about the following titles: Legend of Heroes, Pokemon 2004, Stone Age and Zelda Shi Kong Zhi Zhang? they don't boot in MESS so that I have some problem checking by myself :)

2. could you give me the ideogram title for King of Fighters R-2 (at least the GoodGBx version)? the title screen is the following

3. same for the two variants of Shui Hu Shen Shou?

4. and two last titles in need of the title in chinese characters (to complete my notes)

5. Does anyone have info on the two DQ1 & 2 compilations in GoodGBx? have anyone seen them in real carts or are they fanmade?
they can be found in the net as "Dragon Quest I & II (J) [c][p1]" and "Yongzhe Dou Elong 1 & 2 (Unl) [c]", and they only differ of a few bytes in the second half of the dump...

Finally a GB question. The wiki has various info about Sonic 7 and 8, but has anyone info about Sonic 6 for GB? Is a graphical hack of Speedy Gonzales, but I have been unable to track down info on it...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:00:38 AM by etabeta78 »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »
#4:

The first game is a sequel to Sangokushi Act C, using the alternate title of the original: 真三國無雙2 Zhen San Guo Wu Shuang 2. (The last character looks different because it's written the Japanese way-- that'd be "Shin Sangoku Musou 2" in Japanese, just as the title screen suggests.)

Dragon Quest 4 is just the official Chinese name of the series, Yongzhe dou elong (勇者斗恶龙).
#1:

Legend of Heroes is the official English title of the game. In Chinese, that's 英雄传说 Ying Xiong Chuan Shuo; the English title's a literal translation of that. Incidentally, this is one of Waixing's few GBC games. Waixing even has a video page for the game... but of course, this being Waixing, they didn't actually check their embed tag to make sure it contained a URL to the video.

I have no idea what Zelda Shi Kong Zhi Zhang is, honestly. The Chinese name for Oracle of Ages is 薩爾達傳說:時空之章 Saerda Chuan Shuo: Shi Kong Zhi Zhang - "The Legend of Zelda: Space-Time Chapter" - but the ROM dumped under that title is most definitely not Oracle of Ages. It appears to be some sort of Digimon-themed RPG by Vast Fame, at least from what I can gather in a tile editor.

Stone Age is 石器時代:精靈王誕生 Shi Qi Shi Dai: Jing Ling Wang Dan Sheng "Stone Age: Birth of the Goblin King".
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:43:23 AM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »
1. Pokemon 2004 runs in Visual Boy Advance, it seems to be a hack of the US version of Pokemon Crystal. you start out with Pikachu and the maps are different, dunno if anything else significant is changed.
2. 格斗至尊2003 / Ge Dou Zhi Zun 2003. Its a title hack though.
3. 水滸神獸 (Shui Hu Shen Shou) & 水滸傳 (Shui Hu Zhuan)

etabeta78

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 06:52:25 PM »
thanks to all of you for the help!

I think now I have properly identified and labeled all the pirate GBC games which were floating around :)

Also thanks a lot for the chinese titles: I really think that documenting them is as fundamental as using the proper romanization of the title screen (instead of fake names based on the header string, like Bokujou Monogatari 2 (Unl) or Shawu Story (Unl)).

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 02:06:11 AM »
awesome. ;D im glad someone cares about having these games properly named - those completely wrong GoodGBX names have been around for way too long now. the Shawu Story two games/one name thing was particularly bad (although i guess you can partially blame Vast Fame there for not updating their headers)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:06:56 AM by taizou »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:53:16 AM »
I own a pirate of Yongzhe Dou Elong 1 & 2, just the Japanese version though, no changes. It was released in Japan as Dragon Warrior I & II. Not fanmade, it was a real compilation.

Sonic 6 is just a Speedy Gonzales hack(not of the GBC game Speedy Gonzales: Aztec Adventure, but the first monochrome one simply titled "Speedy Gonzales"). Only differences are a Sonic sprite ripped from Sonic 3 for Genesis that replaces Speedy's sprite, and the level order is different. Sonic 6 starts in the forest level, not sure what the order was from there. But there's nothing more really significant to say about it.

etabeta78

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 06:20:18 AM »
If you let me digress a bit, I'd like to add some info about my background with pirate games and emulators.

My first work in the emu-world was the creation TOSEC datfiles for NES around 2004-2005. it has been a 2-years work (because I had limited spare time) done by manually examining and comparing in an hex editor *ALL* available carts, but it gave me a lot of satisfactions because in this way I was able to fix tons of wrong names both among hacks and chinese pirate carts

I was especially careful when I sorted the pirate dumps, because the info available at time were very limited (basically only jbholio's site, famicom no tobira, rinkaku's website and chinese forum posts translated through bizlingo). however, I think the end result was pretty good (impression confirmed by the fact that most of my changes went back to GoodNES in the subsequent releases) and it made me appreciate the small gems hidden among these carts

It was therefore natural for me to try doing the same with other systems now that we are working on software lists for MESS. And, if for NES/FC I had tons of notes stored in my HDs [1], for other systems I would have been completely lost without your wiki (and the links there)
in exchange, if I find my old backup CD with cart pictures, I might have some files for the Pirate Museum Wiki :)

[1] I think that before the creation of these boards, my notes were one of the most up-to-date collection of info about pirate NES/FC carts. But now they have been largely superseded by your bootleg wiki (and the brilliant researches you all have done). Indeed, I plan to eventually go through NES pirates once more, in order to fix any mistake I might have done in my old notes :)

==================
2nd post merged by the board software ;)
==================

Barver

I own a pirate of Yongzhe Dou Elong 1 & 2, just the Japanese version though, no changes. It was released in Japan as Dragon Warrior I & II. Not fanmade, it was a real compilation. [/quote]

I know very well about the Japanese compilation. But both these Chinese versions in GoodGBx have a green selection/debug menu when you load the game, that makes me think to a fanmade cart or to an hack which has never been put in real carts

Barver

Sonic 6 is just a Speedy Gonzales hack(not of the GBC game Speedy Gonzales: Aztec Adventure, but the first monochrome one simply titled "Speedy Gonzales"). Only differences are a Sonic sprite ripped from Sonic 3 for Genesis that replaces Speedy's sprite, and the level order is different. Sonic 6 starts in the forest level, not sure what the order was from there. But there's nothing more really significant to say about it.  [/quote]

I was wondering if this game comes from a real cart or if it has been created by some hacking group... it seems weird that this 'Sonic World' company which appears on the title screen has never been mentioned elsewhere if they really marketed this cart (I have seen weirder things with pirate carts, but still I was curious to see if you guys had any other info :) )
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:28:40 AM by etabeta78 »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »
Incidentally, etabeta78, do you have any experience with GBS ripping (or know anyone who's good with it)? I'd love to see music rips of some of Vast Fame's bootlegs, which all have surprisingly good original music.

Soul Falchion and both versions of Rockman DX3 have been ripped, but I don't recall seeing any other VFame music rips out there. I'd especially love to see Shui Hu Shen Shou and Shi Kong Xing Shou ripped, because those have some amazingly catchy tunes.