Author Topic: DDR Disney Mix (?!)  (Read 7051 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:32:05 PM »
So here's something interesting I discovered while searching for videos of plug-n-play consoles on YouTube:

Dance Dance Revolution Disney Mix

Yes, this is an officially licensed console by Konami and Disney. So why am I bringing it up in a pirate games forum? Well, just listen to it.

Perhaps my ears are deceiving me, but it sure sounds like Konami outsourced their work to whoever did the music for Shenzhen Nanjing's games and/or Gold Leopard King Dance.  8D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:32:52 PM by codeman38 »

Barver

• View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:28:17 AM »
That sounds too much like a coincidence. Maybe they outsourced the work to a company that was NJ under a different company name?

Even the sound effects are the same as all of NJs crap :o

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:11:49 AM »
Barver
Feb 11 2011, 01:28:17 AM
Even the sound effects are the same as all of NJs crap :o[/quote]Hee, I noticed that as well. That one rising scale sound effect is so distinctive.
Speaking of bootleggy licensed products, there's this "Dance Master" dance mat sold by the Home Shopping Network. Very clearly the same engine as the Gold Leopard King and its ilk, but from everything I can find, the tinny 8-bit versions of the tunes appear to have actually been licensed by Sony Music (!!).

Edit: *snort* The music may have been licensed, but the Dance Master mat is still totally bootleg. It includes Nintendo Pinball and Tengen Tetris. Seriously.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:30:10 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
That definitely uses the same sound engine as Hot Dance 2000 and all of those other ones. Not sure if you noticed but it also seems to run on the OneBus technology.

Also, how the hell is anyone supposed to play Tetris on a dance mat? XD

Edit: Looking at those some more some of the sound effects on DDR Disney Mix are the same ones that are used in Nice Code's horrible games. And if the copyright on the title screen says 2001, then that'd mean that the OneBus technology existed by then.

Oh, and if those songs are officially licensed then aren't some of those DDR things actually legal? :|

BTW, nice to see a remake of Take on Me that sucks less than the one on Beat @ Box. :D

Edit 2: I was just looking around on eBay for TV games and I stumbled on this, I might be wrong but this seems to be another variation of these things. What tips me off is that it lists "Pinball game" among the 3 games in 1 list, which I'm pretty sure is the Nintendo game. Curious as to what that "Knock Out" game is though; Mike Tyson's Punchout or one of those awful boxing games like on the 8-bit Vii? Then again, it's probably that whack-a-mole game that's on Hot Dance 2000. (Which is actually a hack of Hit Marmot by NTDEC)

Also, I like how the last two songs are Christmas songs, which is odd for a DDR clone methinks.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:44 PM »
Knockout is indeed Hit Marmot; it's shown on the HSN video.

Oddly enough, that one is also the Dance Master 3-- no idea why they sold the exact same unit with Tetris on some and Hit Marmot on others.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:50:47 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:38:47 AM »
I wonder if Jungletac had something to do with Disney Mix, what with those earlier versions of their 8bit stuff sharing music with Nanjing games - Majesco has previous here, their Frogger Plug & Play was developed by Jungletac too AFAIK.

heres another, Strawberry Shortcake DDR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUXyqj-eouE
there's also a Track & Field plug & play out there but I haven't been able to find any videos of that.

Cheetahmen

Edit: Looking at those some more some of the sound effects on DDR Disney Mix are the same ones that are used in Nice Code's horrible games. And if the copyright on the title screen says 2001, then that'd mean that the OneBus technology existed by then.[/quote]
according to Wikipedia this thing was released in 2006 - the title screen looks like its taken straight from the PS1 version, which *was* released in 2001. although the Arcade Action 101 in 1 is OneBus based and that was released in 2001 (I think) .. it just didnt use the VT03 with the extra colours and whatnot.

codeman38

Speaking of bootleggy licensed products, there's this "Dance Master" dance mat sold by the Home Shopping Network. Very clearly the same engine as the Gold Leopard King and its ilk, but from everything I can find, the tinny 8-bit versions of the tunes appear to have actually been licensed by Sony Music (!!).

Edit: *snort* The music may have been licensed, but the Dance Master mat is still totally bootleg. It includes Nintendo Pinball and Tengen Tetris. Seriously.[/quote]
I actually have one of those :D got it at a car boot sale for a whole one pound. its manufactured by ABL (last one on this page), they seemed to be quite widespread in the UK at one point. Can't remember if mine is the version with Hit Marmot or Tetris though.

Cheetahmen

Oh, and if those songs are officially licensed then aren't some of those DDR things actually legal? :|[/quote]
Maybe, if there are any out there that don't actually include either stolen music or stolen games, but they always seem to have one or the other :D

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 01:07:13 AM »
taizou
Feb 12 2011, 12:38:47 AM
I actually have one of those :D got it at a car boot sale for a whole one pound. its manufactured by ABL (last one on this page), they seemed to be quite widespread in the UK at one point. Can't remember if mine is the version with Hit Marmot or Tetris though.[/quote]ABL, of course! I remember seeing that on their page in the past, even, but had totally forgotten about it.
Something else random I noticed: some of the fonts in GLK Dance are identical to those in screenshots of games by CubeTech. Who also developed stuff for ABL. Coincidence?

Actually, now that I look at the screenshots a bit more, the fonts are only vaguely similar. Blame it on the low resolution of Cube's screenshots...
The user interface for the dance part of the Dance Master is literally identical to that in the ROM "Dance Xtreme - Prima". Only differences are that this one's got 28 songs, and they're all bootlegs of actual DDR songs with duplicates having very bizarre titles.

Oh, yeah, and the score is shown in the Family BASIC font in this version-- it's in the IBM VGA font in the Dance Master console.

Edit: And "perfect" is spelled correctly in Dance Master. The devs spelled it wrong two different ways in Dance Xtreme.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:59:24 AM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 02:21:07 AM »
speaking of dance mats, someone in the UK clearly imported a ton of them that they couldn't shift, they're now selling lots of 10 for £19.99.
heres some apparently Sega-compatible Gold Leopard King ones: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQitemZ120678895141
& "Mix Party 2000": http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQitemZ120678893487
i'm sorely tempted, i must say. though i'm not exactly sure what i'd do with all those dance mats. carpet my living room?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 02:57:01 AM »
Wow, apparently the packaging to that Gold Leopard King actually does claim to be compatible with 16-bit Sega carts-- see the photo in this other eBay listing. And I thought they only made the 8-bit version...

Of course, given the rest of the nonsensical Engrish on the package, they could very well just be lying through their teeth.

Edit: And I have no idea what sort of hardware the Mix Party runs on-- there seems to be no further information on that console at all.

Edit #2: Hm, there's this auction showing a (very small) screen capture of the system, which is very clearly not 8-bit. Interesting!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:04:06 AM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 03:17:54 AM »
oh, now i'm even more tempted to just buy ten of the damn things. ten of each. There's no way in hell buying twenty dance mats would ever be a good idea, is there.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 03:22:55 AM »
Yeah, it's a tricky decision. Particularly given that they're probably crap even if they are 16-bit... but the sheer interestingness does make it tough...

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 03:37:22 AM »
yeah, its just interestingness vs having a house full of terrible dance mats that i'd obviously never ever be able to sell.

and actually, looking at that auction for the GLK one you linked to, i can't actually see any cartridge port, or anywhere that a cartridge port might be, unless the whole top bit lifts up somehow. so maybe the "Sega" thing really is a lie (or just a feature some models have and others dont, and they just use the same packaging).
but then it is still presumably "super digit music compatable". so you can't argue with that.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 05:45:17 AM »
taizou
Feb 12 2011, 03:37:22 AM
and actually, looking at that auction for the GLK one you linked to, i can't actually see any cartridge port, or anywhere that a cartridge port might be, unless the whole top bit lifts up somehow. so maybe the "Sega" thing really is a lie (or just a feature some models have and others dont, and they just use the same packaging).
but then it is still presumably "super digit music compatable". so you can't argue with that.[/quote]I'm not sure about that. If there are dance mats where you can play Tetris on them, then GLK might just be dumb enough to think that people can play Sonic the Hedgehog on one as well. :P

Codeman38

Edit #2: Hm, there's this auction showing a (very small) screen capture of the system, which is very clearly not 8-bit. Interesting![/quote]

I'm not sure about that, could just be running on the OneBus for all we know.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »
Cheetahmen
Feb 12 2011, 05:45:17 AM
I'm not sure about that. If there are dance mats where you can play Tetris on them, then GLK might just be dumb enough to think that people can play Sonic the Hedgehog on one as well. :P[/quote]Maybe it's running on Sega-clone hardware and includes several embedded MD games? Who knows. I wish people would actually post demo videos or screenshots in addition to their auctions...

Cheetahmen

I'm not sure about that, could just be running on the OneBus for all we know.[/quote]Ah, that's true-- didn't even think about that. At the very least, it's using high-color graphics, anyway.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DDR Disney Mix (?!)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
codeman38
Feb 12 2011, 12:12:25 PM
Cheetahmen
Feb 12 2011, 05:45:17 AM
I'm not sure about that. If there are dance mats where you can play Tetris on them, then GLK might just be dumb enough to think that people can play Sonic the Hedgehog on one as well. :P[/quote]Maybe it's running on Sega-clone hardware and includes several embedded MD games? Who knows. I wish people would actually post demo videos or screenshots in addition to their auctions...[/quote]No idea TBH, and the vagueness (is that even a word?) of that auction in general adds to the confusion. The box does say 16-bit and Sega, but for all we know the 16-bit claim could be a lie and the Sega games could refer to Master System games, although the latter is doubtful. Not to mention, if it does support Mega Drive games then where are the A, B and C buttons?