Author Topic: DreamGEAR 75-in-1  (Read 19930 times)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »
I'm sure some of you (or codeman38 at least) have seen the DreamGEAR 75-in-1, and CaH4e3 recently dumped a rom of it. Being able to see this stuff in clearer quality (or the games that work, rather) I noticed that the collectable items in Super Hero (the hack of Dragon Co's Felix the Cat) are red versions of the Internet Explorer logo. Presumably, it's actually a rehack of The Hacker, although I'm not sure why they'd pick that instead. I'd beat the game, but quite frankly I've had enough of that awful game and I can't get the supposed cheat to work well. (as in, you constantly jump to the left or something) Haven't looked at the other games yet.

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »
Cheetahmen
Nov 27 2010, 03:23:21 PM
I can't get the supposed cheat to work well. (as in, you constantly jump to the left or something) Haven't looked at the other games yet.[/quote]It's to the right you numbnuts.  :P

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:54:20 PM »
KingPepe
Nov 27 2010, 03:31:30 PM
Cheetahmen
Nov 27 2010, 03:23:21 PM
I can't get the supposed cheat to work well. (as in, you constantly jump to the left or something) Haven't looked at the other games yet.[/quote]It's to the right you numbnuts.  :P [/quote]Whoops. Still couldn't get it to work properly because I kept dying. Anyway, I was looking through the other games and I noticed a few things going through them.
Some of them have sound effects ripped from either Mahjong (Nintendo game) or Gomoku Narabe Renju.
Difference is pretty much Difference Picture from my Cyber Arcade Centre except the graphics aren't as good, it even has the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sound effects.
Polar Bat's title screen has a graphic of Kunio for some odd reason.
Wonder Rabbit uses the same engine as one of the games on the Cyber Arcade Centre. (I forgot the name of it but the music in that one is a bad rendition of the Pitfall II theme) Oh, and some of the graphics are stolen from Super Mario Bros. 2. (or Doki Doki Panic if you prefer)
A couple of the games seem to use different sound engines, not counting Falling Blocks.
Mad Xmas has that evil-looking Santa Claus in it, apparently Christmas comes early. :P
If I remember correctly, Metro Mania (or the menu in it, at least) looks like the racing game off that Famiclone that has the version of Jewel Master (Magic Jewelry hack) which uses SNT music.
I think Mouse Snare has Jerry's HUD picture ripped from Dragon Co's Tom & Jerry 3.
All of these Famiclones have some sort of lawn mowing game.
Seaport Gaurl seems to have a tile missing in the title, presumably it's meant to be Seaport Guard.
The guy in that game on the Cyber Arcade Centre I forget the name of is also used in Forest Adventure.
Rural Goblin is probably the easiest game ever made.
Submarine's music is definitely ripped off, but I'm not sure where from. I'm guessing Captain Tsubasa judging by the sound engine.
Nature Clan's games use a different sound engine as well.
River Jump clearly has graphics ripped off from one of the Sesame Street games. :lol:

Edit: Turns out I was right about Submarine. :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:57:50 PM by Awesome Panda »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 11:38:21 PM »
I've found several places in the ROM where the letters necessary to spell "POWER JOY LTD" appear in the character set. Power Joy is, of course, another brand of Trump Grand. Not that we didn't know that already, but hey, never hurts to find further confirmation.
More tile-editor observations:

- I'm not sure what it's doing there, but that definitely looks like a Pikachu at about 0x3681AE buried in the graphics for Wonder Rabbit.

- The graphics for Super Hero still include the Felix the Cat title screen and story screens.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:53:40 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 11:54:02 PM »
A lot of them have something like this too:

seems to be a "Produced By" but I have no idea what company name you could spell with the rest.

Cheetahmen

All of these Famiclones have some sort of lawn mowing game.[/quote]
There always seems to be a game involving fish eating smaller fish too.  They can't get enough of that shit.
theres also some Chinese text in with the graphics for RB Chess that doesnt seem to be used anywhere.. and possibly an unused Chinese title screen for that game?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:58:25 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 12:04:08 AM »
taizou
Nov 27 2010, 11:54:02 PM
seems to be a "Produced By" but I have no idea what company name you could spell with the rest.[/quote]Heh, I found that too. I actually tried to figure that out by doing a relative search for "34156785" (which would spell "produced" in that table), and found a table that worked, based on the font at 0x1D145E. Here it is, in spoiler tags so you don't have to scroll through it:

Spoiler: click to toggle

The resulting text:

PRODUCED BY ROBIN SONG
NATURE COLOR GAME
DIRECTOR WOFIRE
ART DESIGN JONY
PROGRAMMER HUNK

I'm not sure what the programmer's name was-- those two characters didn't actually appear in any version of the alphabet in the ROM...

Edit: Spoke too soon. Found another version of the font with "H" and "K" completing the alphabet, and updated the above accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:09:47 AM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 12:12:43 AM »
ha, thats pretty awesome. :D
found another set of credits relative searching for "program":
PRODUCED BY ROBIN SONG
NATURE COLORG GAME
DIRECTOR WOFIRE
ART DESIGN  SONIA
PROGRAMMER YANGJUN
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:16:27 AM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 12:39:01 AM »
Here's one I'm trying to figure out, but I have no idea how to relative-search for it without a *lot* of trial and error (if it's even in the ROM at all).

Viewing the PPU in "Dejectile" shows the following character set:

STAR©DONXIGFE+PLxCMV

Clearly this is supposed to be used to spell something, but what, I have no idea. Something "Xing", I'm guessing...

Edit: Guess it must've been removed. Using the PPU, I could narrow down that "S" had to be 0xE7-- and I found legible text for "Stage", "Pts", "Total Score", "Game Over", etc., just not any sort of copyright notice!

Also, that "Produced by Robin Song" bit that I found isn't even in one of the games credited to Nature Clan - it shows up in the PPU for Police Vs. Thief!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:51:10 AM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 12:53:30 AM »
well heres a table for Dejectile:
Spoiler: click to toggle

the only text I can find is:
START
STAGE
PTS
TOTAL SCORE
GAME OVER
the D, N, X, I and F arent used at all, unless I'm missing something - seems like if they were, the string was removed from the ROM.

edit: ah you beat me to it. :D Can't find anything in Bomberman 2002 either.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:54:12 AM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 12:58:59 AM »
One thing that is clear is that Dejectile was hacked from Bomberman 2002-- there are leftovers from the "MAN" part of the title screen.
On another amusing note, notice that the title shown on the car selection screen for Metro Mania reads "Hot Rucing". Rucing?!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:26:17 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 05:41:21 AM »
codeman38
Nov 28 2010, 12:58:59 AM
On another amusing note, notice that the title shown on the car selection screen for Metro Mania reads "Hot Rucing". Rucing?![/quote]And Ferrari was renamed to Farreri. :P Also, I can't anything through hex other than some error messages. Also, in the ROM I found a font similar to the one in Flipull, although I don't recall any games using it. One thing I find odd is that with one game, the tiles for the text in it read "COPYRIGHT2" so unless the games were apparently made in 2222, I think a couple of tiles were removed there.

Edit: I tried playing through Police Vs Thief out of boredom and I got up to level 11 before quitting, I might be wrong but I think stages 10 onwards recycle level layouts and nothing else changes.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:04:57 AM by Awesome Panda »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 09:30:08 AM »
taizou
Nov 27 2010, 11:54:02 PM
There always seems to be a game involving fish eating smaller fish too.  They can't get enough of that shit.[/quote]I guess they really like Shark! Shark! or something. Another thing I want to point out is in the DreamGear 75-in-1, the game Shark has this weird noise at the beginning when you start playing. This same sound also plays in Shark! Shark! when a shark is on screen.

EDIT: I just realized, the Shark! Shark! noise I heard it from was the TechnoSource's version, not the original. The original had some other sounds I never recalled hearing before.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:34:19 AM by KingPepe »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »
Cheetahmen
Nov 28 2010, 05:41:21 AM
One thing I find odd is that with one game, the tiles for the text in it read "COPYRIGHT2" so unless the games were apparently made in 2222, I think a couple of tiles were removed there.[/quote]ah but maybe they reused the O from COPYRIGHT as a zero, and they were made in 2002.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »
taizou
Nov 28 2010, 10:34:15 AM
Cheetahmen
Nov 28 2010, 05:41:21 AM
One thing I find odd is that with one game, the tiles for the text in it read "COPYRIGHT2" so unless the games were apparently made in 2222, I think a couple of tiles were removed there.[/quote]ah but maybe they reused the O from COPYRIGHT as a zero, and they were made in 2002.[/quote]Good point. For some crazy reason I was thinking the games were made in 2001, probably because I was rudely awaken at 6AM in the morning or something. Playing through Super Hero, the ripped Shatterhand graphics are there and beating the game just comes up with "The End" in the same (or very similar) font that The Panda Prince's title screen used, although there are no pictures.

Edit: I just noticed that the music in Pizzaboy is a bad rendition of the level theme from Clu Clu Land.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:56:24 PM by Awesome Panda »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DreamGEAR 75-in-1
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 11:01:24 PM »
Apologies for reviving a rather dead topic, but I just found out that the music in Sea-Maid is stolen from a Famicom adaptation of Little Lord Fauntleroy. Not surprised, quite frankly.