Author Topic: Guai Shou Zong Dong Yuan from SKOB  (Read 3845 times)

Barver

• View Profile
Guai Shou Zong Dong Yuan from SKOB
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:45:19 PM »
Anybody remember this from the Super Dragon website?

I recently got it. Unlike the pic though the box credits SKOB. I'm not bothering with screenshots because my phone just is too horrible and nothing is clear. But I figured may as well tell everyone what this game is.

It sucks. HORRIBLY. It's just a lame board game type thing. Besides the title screen you wouldn't even call it a Pokemon game. From what I played it's just a monopoly thing where you roll a dice and your brown blob on the board moves(not a single thing on the board is Pokemon related at all), which then prompts up Pokemon cards which you do god knows what with. I didn't play this long, but think of cards like in that Dragon Monster Tactics Card game.

I'm very disappointed, needless to say. It's hard to go into much detail since it was so damn mundane I couldn't bring myself to learn the game's mechanics to go further. But the only thing Pokemon related in this thing are generic card photos and the title screen. That's all you need to know.

Now to track down that Pokemon Crystal game they made and see what kind of shit they've got in store next  ;)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 11:36:12 PM »
are there any signs of who developed it? like the music or anything?

i'd still be interested to know what that Pokemon Crystal is though... SKOB definitely released *some* good games, like Fantasy War. although I still have my suspicions that it might just be a translation of the real Crystal, they made a bunch of translations for the Mega Drive I think.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 12:00:54 AM »
I have no idea, since I'm not really well informed on all the related music drivers between games that a lot of others here are :x

I have to wonder if their Digimon game would be an RPG too, or just another lame idea like this one. This one feels like something that Good Life company would have made reallly. After KOFR2, which was a good port from NGPocket, I really expected better.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 12:13:36 AM »
well I think SKOB just published games by a few different developers - if you compare Super Robot Wars Final to that Fire Emblem game they made (i forget its name now.. but I know the ROM is called something stupid and generic) they have pretty much nothing in common, despite both being strategy RPGs. so the quality probably depends on who actually made it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:14:47 AM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 01:41:06 AM »
taizou
Oct 4 2010, 12:13:36 AM
well I think SKOB just published games by a few different developers - if you compare Super Robot Wars Final to that Fire Emblem game they made (i forget its name now.. but I know the ROM is called something stupid and generic) they have pretty much nothing in common, despite both being strategy RPGs. so the quality probably depends on who actually made it.[/quote]It's "Super SLG", though it's also been dumped as "BS Fire Emblem Akaneia Senki". The more generic name came from the ROM header, of course.

And yeah, Super Robot Wars Final is very different. It almost sounds like they rolled their own sound driver for that one, and the graphics aren't even close to Super SLG quality-wise.

Oh, incidentally, the ROM for Super Robot Wars Final includes the same font from the Telefang hacks! (And yes, I know it's a derivative of the Apple Chicago font, but this particular variation has a distinctive "M" and "j".)

Edit: Yeah, definitely seems like a case of "rolled their own sound driver" on Super Robot Wars Final. The title theme is a really bad cover of the theme from Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars. (Or, as some of you may know it, the title theme to Pokemon Sapphire GBC. :P )
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:48:26 AM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
speaking of Pokemon Sapphire, I just noticed something - theres some left over Chinese text in the Sapphire ROM which I assumed was from one of Sintax's Chinese historical games or something (because it refers to the year 384) .. but its actually from Super SLG/Fire Emblem.

RVVD4029

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »
Taizou i think the chinese text in the pokemon sapphire rom refers to super slg as the fire emblem does not use the numbers and text font together. But the super slg uses the numbers + text font together.
Barver i think thanks to the fact waixing have a prefectly coded rpg and board game engine already in their fantasy life game for the gbc. This is really their game but with different sprites.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:12:17 PM by RVVD4029 »