Author Topic: Can anyone come up with a pirate game editor?  (Read 3642 times)

Rocman X

• View Profile
Can anyone come up with a pirate game editor?
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:42:11 AM »
I just came up with this cool idea. After using Lunar Magic recently, I thought that it would be cool to have a similar editor for the PIRATED NES version of
Super Mario World, both prototype and final :JY: . And then, I thought why just have an editor for Hummer Team's SMW when there could be an editor for
 ALL of Hummer Team's platformers, such as not only SMW, but also Somari  :somari: /Sonic 3D Blast 5/The Hummer/Sonic and Knuckles 5/Sonic the Hedgehog
(even though it's an improvement hack of S3DB5), Earthworm Jim 3, Donkey Kong Country 4/The Jungle Book 2, Aladdin, Tiny Toons Adventures 6, and
more. Rad! Especially hacking EWJ3: I could make it a lot longer! cool: Sorry about the length of this post.  :\
Also, the other idea would be to have a HT fighting game editor, where you could customize the colors, names, stages, stage select, and endings. :thumb:
Hello? Is anyone there? Hello?
Sorry about that "Hello? Is anyone there? Hello?" comment. It's just that nobody's responding this minute.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:37:22 PM by Rocman X »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
Nobody's gonna respond right away.  Some of the users aren't even active until late in the day (well, late in my region) so give it some time.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »
I don't think that would be possible with 'loads' of debugging and stuff. :(

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
Qiezei
Feb 10 2013, 01:53:28 PM
Nobody's gonna respond right away.  Some of the users aren't even active until late in the day (well, late in my region) so give it some time.[/quote]Agreed with Qiezei (as I quoted). You can't deny that it'll be quiet/dead (at least in activity) most of the time. Why? Because some of us live in different timezones.

Rocman X

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:56:28 PM »
I don't think that would be possible with 'loads' of debugging and stuff. :(

What?????? What do you mean? I don't care about the bugs. I just want to change the game.  >_>
ASM is so dang hard. Why bother?
I meant, why bother with ASM? It's like 010101010101010000011111111010000001010101. And no, I don't want to learn it!
Also, why not an editor for Earthworm Jim for the SNES, or the Genesis? Not the same editor for both versions, obviously.
Sorry about being impatient. :(
Did I say ASM? I meant Binary/Hex code.
I still also mean ASM, and I'm still waiting until tomorrow for a response, where I'll be using my tablet.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:28:34 AM by Rocman X »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »
don't hold your breath, I don't think anyone here has any experience/interest in making level editors.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
It's asking a lot for a universal editor for all these games just because they're pirates. They all would likely work differently and require a lot of time spent on each to fully understand how to edit them.

If you want an editor for EWJ on Genesis, there's this EWJ2 level editor that was released not too long ago.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14658.0.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:43:25 PM by Barver »

Rocman X

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 03:27:24 PM »
Thanks. You are right, I went a bit too far about asking about an editor for all HT pirate platformers. I guess I'll think of one editor first, then another. The first will be either Somari/other hacks or SMW. Thanks for the EWJ3 editor! Now if someone just could make an EWJ1 editor sometime (not a work request for any of these members)...
I've been waiting a lot for an EWJ2 editor! Cool!
Oh, silly me, it IS an editor for EWJ1 too! And Aladdin, which I'm sure is because it's similar to Earthworm Jim. Also a good game. Jungle Book works too, but not the Lion King :(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:32:00 PM by Rocman X »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 04:55:26 PM »
Yeah, ASM is pretty much the language you ought to learn if you want to increase the probability of your games working... Quickly. Very, very quickly and swiftly (same goes for ZX Spectrum, which made masterpieces like this and this possible on a relatively weak Z80 chip).

There is also an alternative, though: you can try to create games in pure C, especially considering there's a ref article covering such a process... Except it's pretty limited. And slow. Not to mention I haven't even tried it directly since I'm more a Java man rather than a C(++) coder.  :pandaaway:
Oh, one more thing: you may definitely need to find an enthusiast who can modify the nes.cfg file, because the one Shiru gives in his tutorial is for the mapperless games (i. e. you will get a Mapper 0 message when you'll try to run it on the emul).

...okay, yet one more: it's also adapted for the use of Shiru's very own quick yet somewhat functional Famitone sound engine. It's actually capable of recreating most of Hummer Team's tracks, as you could see in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:16:51 PM by Crash Nicker »