Author Topic: A database for clone characters?  (Read 5641 times)

MelvanaInChains

• View Profile
A database for clone characters?
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:12:51 PM »
hi, big fan of bootleg fighting games because of how bizarre they are (seriously, michael jordan and muhammad ali in a fighting game is amazing)

y'know how most of the fighting games have strange recolors/renames to pad out their rosters? kind of like how fatal fury 2 has an andy edit called 'andew' and master fighter iv has a sagat clone called 'markus'?

would it be worth it to make a collective wiki based on all these bizarre clones? for some reason i find them insanely interesting. would even rip a stance sprite of each of them to show their palette, and rip their portraits (if those are edited)

(also very new here, sorry if this is in the wrong section, kind of unsure where this goes)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:14:16 PM by MelvanaInChains »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
I don't really see much of a use for it. For something like that, you're better off just ripping sprites from the game.

MelvanaInChains

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »
i guess when you put it that way. i did a really quick, lazy concept page of a similar concept regarding 'mortal kombat 6 28 peoples' a while back

most of the novelty is mainly in the names and horrid portraits, though. check out 'farmer' there, for instance

i'll contemplate it further though anyhow

(also offtopic but while i'm here you may be interested in knowing i totally made musashi from sf4 for mugen a few months ago lol)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:30:01 PM by MelvanaInChains »

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »
That information could always be put in on the individual game's wiki page here, even if you didn't want to go through the effort of sprite ripping. Even a simple table would work.

Is that sprite in your signature from Battle Monsters? Obscure indeed.

MelvanaInChains

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:08:08 PM »
...y'know, i didn't think of that. maybe just a simple layout of portraits, names, costumes in their own mini-section on the article? i'm terrible at explaining this so i might try whipping up an example of what i mean sometime later. that sounds like it could definitely work

and haha yes, it certainly is, it's always a pleasant surprise when somebody recognizes a character from that charmingly bizarre game
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:08:27 PM by MelvanaInChains »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »
It might be a good idea for certain games (as part of the wiki article itself, rather than a separate thing;) I personally have been trying to sort out who everybody in the V.Fame fighter Queen of Fighting 2000 bases their sprites off of.  I have a mostly-complete list of them, and some of them have a surprising amount of changes made to the sprite that it's practically original save for the animations.  Of course, that game actually *needs* an entry made on it, but still.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:29:03 PM by Pepper-98 »

MelvanaInChains

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »
so does mortal kombat 6 28 peoples, which i might fix one day

anyhoo went ahead and tried my idea, any thoughts?

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:57:58 PM »
After seeing that, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to be honest. :o

MelvanaInChains

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 04:21:35 PM »
heh thanks, but i do think adding them to existing articles would be a better idea at this point

of course, adding all the 'mari street fighter III turbo' characters would be friggin' gigantic, but hey

either way this would definitely be useful for 'fatal fury 2' as the changed portraits are actually reflected in the sprites and all
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:22:12 PM by MelvanaInChains »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
Nice, but I think it needs to be put horizontally or with multiple columns but not 1 line vertically. It is way too long.

MelvanaInChains

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 02:00:38 AM »
oh whoops, completely forgot about this topic

horizontally? i dunno how great that would work...and spoilering the whole thing would be awkward. so i dunno, maybe i'll try experimenting with that later

Ninjinister

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 02:29:51 AM »
Melvana! Ha ha hi! Small world!
I know this topic is as old as butt and you might not see this, but Miss Cross from FAB had this going for a bit.
http://doujindojo.wikia.com/wiki/Doujin_Dojo_Wiki
I worked on it a lot too but eventually I forgot about it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:02:24 AM by Ninjinister »