Author Topic: Interesting ROM/PCB Finds  (Read 6579 times)

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Interesting ROM/PCB Finds
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »
Well I just thought this needed a new topic, as lots of interesting findings aren't discussed much.

Recently, I opened my copy of Digimon 2, and on the PCB were obscure markings:
Front of pcb, left: YG01027
Front of pcb, right: 2001.07.17.CJX (date+publisher?)
back of pcb, bottom-right: 010702-0142

Also in a ROM dump of Harry Potter 3 (MakonSoft edition, and the ROM doesn't work) there's hidden graphics for some kind of clown.

Post stuff, if you actually have anything to say. :P
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:35:10 PM by Robbi »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »
I know that in the Shui Hu Shen Shou ROM, there's leftover graphics of some Pokemon Gold/Silver icons from your party menu.  They don't have the full animations or anything, but still interesting:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Since it has Pokemon sprites, I wonder if Vast Fame reverse-engineered an actual copy of Pokemon to get the game mechanics...?  Or maybe they're leftovers from another project that we may not know about (I know those aren't used in the Pokemon Ruby game they did.)  It would be cool if they did a Pokemon bootleg with the Pokemon engine they used (and it would make a lot of sense on top of it;) I always thought it was weird how a bootleg company ignored such a workable idea.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:31:17 PM by Pepper-98 »

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
O_O Maybe they're leftovers from their Pokemon RPGs, or they used them as a template. I honestly don't know, I'm just guessing. :P

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
RobGBA
Nov 12 2012, 04:32:39 PM
O_O Maybe they're leftovers from their Pokemon RPGs, or they used them as a template. I honestly don't know, I'm just guessing. :P[/quote]That's the thing, though: their Pokemon games don't use those sprites.  That, and while my memory's being a bugger I only really know of the Pokemon Ruby game they did for the GBC.  Probably just a template or something.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
I got a 202-in-1 multicart, and when I dump it, it says "*** 29 IN 1 ***" instead of 202. D:

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 05:36:13 AM »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »
An entry fitting for the apocalypse, not only because it's a Yong Yong game but because of the nightmares hidden within:

Our last moments will be of the hellish Sonichu staring into our souls as the screams of the pixelated damned echo over the horizon.  Now on a more serious note, the most normal looking sprite seems to be based off of an actual sprite from somewhere.  Wonder where they got it from?

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
1. The one with Sonichu looking up reminds me of when Veemon dies in some of the Digimon Yongs! But it DOES look like it was drawn in MS Paint with a mouse.
2. HOLY SHIT! WATCH OUT, WE GOT ROBO-SONICHU! D:
3. Gah, Robo Sonichu is gaining on us!
4...WOAH. That surrendering Sonichu is bloody.. Horrible! All they did was add ears onto their Sonic sprite, by the looks of things.

And what game are these actually from? :o
It says Pocket Monster Adventures, but the GoodGBx of Pokemon Adventure isn't called that. :\ Unless you don't have a full ROM set.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »
RobGBA
Dec 21 2012, 10:18:49 AM
1. The one with Sonichu looking up reminds me of when Veemon dies in some of the Digimon Yongs! But it DOES look like it was drawn in MS Paint with a mouse.
2. HOLY SHIT! WATCH OUT, WE GOT ROBO-SONICHU! D:
3. Gah, Robo Sonichu is gaining on us!
4...WOAH. That surrendering Sonichu is bloody.. Horrible! All they did was add ears onto their Sonic sprite, by the looks of things.

And what game are these actually from? :o
It says Pocket Monster Adventures, but the GoodGBx of Pokemon Adventure isn't called that. :\ Unless you don't have a full ROM set.[/quote]Well, I meant that the sprite of Pikachu(?) looking up looks like they altered a sprite from another game.  I can't see why else they'd draw the character like a rabbit.  And the game these are from is indeed Pokemon Adventure, it's just that I got the ROM from a now-defunct website called TRS Rockin' that showed off some Pokemon bootlegs.  It's sad how the sprite set they used looks a million times better than those old sprites, despite looking like shit.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 11:07:22 AM »
TRS Rockin'. I remember that place! Heh, I remember them talking about a 'DS pirate' which was apparently Metroid with Pokemon in. o_o

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »
While I'm at it, I might as well post some Sachen stuff that I never got around to doing an Unused Sprite Examination of (hey, remember that?)

Rocman X Gold sprites in Thunder Blast Man for the GBC.  Just basically confirms that the Chinese game came first.  What's weird is that I've only ever seen a physical non-bootleg copy of the game once in a German Ebay auction several years ago.  Must be that rare.

An unused set of sprites from the NES game.  One has Thunder Blast Man doing...Something (maybe a special attack, hence his name?) and the others are alternate enemy graphics that ended up being used in the Game Boy port.  They would seemingly have those enemies in the three starting levels (the foot soldier's only in the fifth level) and most likely going to be graphic swaps for the aforementioned levels like they did with the NES Jurassic Boy enemies.  I'm really curious about the game's development, as even stuff like the manual isn't consistent on what the hell the game's supposed to be (and they didn't bother with decent original art for the game's packaging on top of it all.)

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »
:O Well I'll be! The last frame of that special attack looks like the sort of sprite of MakonSoft's doing! Y'know the Lair's Secret hack of Rockball? Well the design on that compared to this, woah. You can actually confirm that Makon made this on the NES and GBC! (if this actually makes sense.)

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 12:06:33 PM »
RobGBA
Dec 21 2012, 11:46:26 AM
:O Well I'll be! The last frame of that special attack looks like the sort of sprite of MakonSoft's doing! Y'know the Lair's Secret hack of Rockball? Well the design on that compared to this, woah. You can actually confirm that Makon made this on the NES and GBC! (if this actually makes sense.)[/quote]Some of the staffers might've left the company to form Makon, like half went there and the other half went to do those NES games (Bao Quin Tian, The Dragon, etc.)  TBM was one of their latest games before they took a long break; it is one of the last TC games listed.  In fact, Taizou pointed out the stuff I'm saying in his company profile of Sachen.  I wouldn't say it was made by the company itself, but was probably made by many of the same people who went to Makon.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
So yeah, I asked for some Digimon Makon bootlegs off of Qiezei to dump a few months ago, and today I bought 'em off him! THEY'RE MINE NOW, I DO WHATEVER THE F**K I WANT WITH THEM HAHAHA! (over the top? :lol: )

First, let's have a lil' look at the back of Digimon 02 5's PCB!

Anybody recognise the 'TC' ID from somewhere? /:) Well if you don't, then you obviously didn't look at Qiezei's post before this. :P

And now, the most interesting one... Digimon Diamond!
Fun fact: It actually uses a different sound engine to Digimon 2! (yet it still sounds like shit.. <_< )

WOAH! The publishers name, and their logo! :yay: Mission accomplised. :ninja: (and look at the bottom of the PCB. They used tape there, for some reason. :P )

Close up to the logo. (and focused.)

Guys, seen this 'Hugh_Hu' before? :somari:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:42:42 PM by Robbi »

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »

Digimon Adventure finds!