Author Topic: Favorite Pirate Games  (Read 2935 times)

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Favorite Pirate Games
« on: September 26, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »
Talk about your favorite pirated games here!

Here are mine:

Famicom

Street Fighter IV/The Legend - It scares me that this is one of those few pirates where they actually put some effort into them. It's almost original and even comes with voice samples.

AV Bishoujo Senshi Girl Fighting - Honestly, you can throw the hentai out of the game and I'd still like it. It's not as good as SFIV in my opinion but it's still pretty nice. The only problem is how much stuff they have reused in this.

Aladdin (Hummer) - Really good port of the SNES game. It's lacking here and there but it feels like if some other pirate did it.

Donkey Kong Country 4 - Jesus Christ, Hummer deserves some praise for being one of the best pirate developers. Despite lacking some stuff from the original DKC, they did a pretty damn good job with this one.

Street Fighter III - Probably my 2nd most favorite Famicom/NES fighting game. They did a really good job porting SFII over and it's not the usual SFII engine either. My only complaint is the music though.

Street Heroes - Another original fighting game and probably the only game I've ever liked from Sachen. It actually uses more voice samples for the characters then SFIV did which is a plus.

Lei Dian Huang Bi Ka (Pokemon Yellow) - Shenzhen did a real good job porting Pokemon Yellow over. Even though they do get lazy near the end, this really just proves that you can port Pokemon to the NES. I kind of like how they used the later generation stuff for graphics and music. The fact that the Pokemon do have animations is even better.

Super Lion King - The fact they managed to outdo the official NES version is scary. The only problem is the jumping in the game itself.

Mega Drive

Squirrel King/Super Mario Bros - Awesome job at porting Chip & Dale to the NES. My only complaint is the weird animations on some enemies.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:16:14 PM by KingPepe »

Barver

• View Profile
Favorite Pirate Games
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 05:16:30 AM »
Megadrive

Squirrel King - One of the first pirates I had ever owned, great memories with it. It felt so unique and I still see it in a much different light than most pirates out there.

Barver Battle Saga - I guess this qualifies as a "pirate" =p Of all the original unlicensed RPGs for any system out there, this one's the best.

Lion King II - A Chinese setting with Chinese music, yet it's Lion King. Something you'd never get from an official game, Gamtec knows how to make the more unique pirates on Genesis!

Famicom

Zelda LTTP - Waixing made it just right to give it that pirate charm that so many not-perfect ports have. I like it.

Somari - Just the fact it's Sonic on the Famicom is enough.

Wait and See - Not THAT great, but I guess since it's a pretty odd original idea they came up it somehow sticks in my memory. Also, cigar smoking Bugs :)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Favorite Pirate Games
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »
Famicom
Donkey Kong Country 4 - Surprisingly good attempt to port over Donkey Kong Country, a game definitely never meant for 8-bit systems considering the advanced graphics and music and... wait, what else was it advanced in? :P (BTW, I do like DKC, I just felt like saying that)

Street Fighter III - Even though I'm absolutely terrible at this version (no idea why TBH, seeing as I beat the Famicom SFII without cheating) this game has a better engine and general design than other SFII ports I've seen.

Titenic - Haven't played it obviously and they spelled the title very badly, but it's nice to see that some pirates have originality making a beat 'em up out of a romantic film based on a disaster that happened in 1912. :P

Toy Story - Dountstairs and unfitting Contra music. Nuf said.

Final Fight 3 - Better than some official ports of beat 'em ups I've seen (I'm looking at you, SMS Streets of Rage II) and for once Hummer Team were kind enough not to use their awful sound engine once more which is always a plus in my nonexistent book. :P (already used that smiley too many times already)

Arcade
Street Fighter II' Rainbow Edition
This game is so messed up that it's just awesome to me. :P

Mega Drive
Top Fighter 2000 MK VIII - Any fighting game with a basketball player in it is at least worth a laugh in my opinion, including Shaq Fu.

MLX

• View Profile
Favorite Pirate Games
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:48:01 PM »
Famicom

Final Fight 3
Just awesome.

Street Fighter IV
Even if the game is cheap (YAY) and hard, I must say that they got a good idea. Almost everything is original and the music isn't bad at all.

Super Mario World
Could Hummer failed to make that one ? No, that wouldn't be possible. Even if the jump is quite strange, the game itself has awesome graphics and musics.

Kart Fighter
The musics are just awesome, graphics nicely made even if they took stuff from other games.

Donkey Kong Country 4
the game is nicely done, everything is almost like the original. The only downside is the sensibility of the controls.

King of Fighter '96, The
Everything is good in this game, except the first stage music. It is also probably the last game made by Hummer Team before they separated ( :'( )

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
Favorite Pirate Games
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:12:20 AM »
Hummer's Aladdin - awesomely done port. Music, visuals, controls - they all got it right (if you forget about the lack of cutscenes). I bet even Capcom couldn't be able to manage this on the NES...

Super Aladdin - pretty much the same s*** as with Super Lion King. What I don't like there really though is the clunky controls (which were A LOT better in the same SLK thing).

Super Lion King - my first pirate original, and, you guessed it, it deserves its' place in my list not only because of that...

Somari - JP would disagree with me, but it's a lot better than Jurassic Boy 2. Also, I wonder why Sonic fans are cocky so much that they can't even hack Somari into something awesome.

Super Mario World - terrible jumping. Lacks one music track. Has a barely performable jump section closer to the ending. And lacks some bosses. In the rest, it's fine.

Kart Fighter - still don't get it why many people find even OBVIOUSLY good sides of this game horrible. Maybe trolling, eh?

World Hero/Street Fighter III - fluid engine, state-of-the-god graphics... now they both need great music and more developed VS mode.

And that's not all. Yet.

FamicomFreak

• View Profile
Favorite Pirate Games
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 01:20:49 AM »
My favorites hmmm lets see
TMNT 2- Pretty much because you started with more lives and had strong flying kick. The label is also so awesome, I love it!

Mario 8- Had so much fun playing this game when I was young, it was amazing having it back in my hands after so many years.