Author Topic: Unlicensed Archenemies  (Read 4874 times)

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
Unlicensed Archenemies
« on: August 30, 2012, 04:25:26 AM »
At the risk of appearing to flood the forum, I just had to ask: Do you guys have any pirate gaming companies that you absolutely despise, that make you cringe and groan with every attempt at a game they make? And I'm talking about absolute loathing here. >_<

For me? It'd have to be Waixing, they started out with extremely poor games and they still pump out extremely poor games to this very day. I really can't help but wonder how they managed to survive, but eh, China, what can ya say?

To Waixing's credit, they've made ONE good game: Happy Biqi III - World Hero. But this doesn't excuse stuff like Pokemon Red and Gold, oh hell no it doesn't. :angry2:

So what about you guys? Any thoughts?  :P

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »
Chengdu Tai Jing Da Dong, which if I recall was made up of people who moved to Waixing. Super Contra X, Aladdin II and Xiang Jiao Chuan (or whatever it's called) are all horrible if you ask me.

Yong Yong; that one should be pretty obvious.

Also, I doubt they qualify but AtGames are complete arseholes if you ask me. Too lazy to make a Mega Drive emulator that would pass for 1997, let alone today. >_>

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:31:51 AM »
Waixing is a weird one - in the beginning they seemed to have a few different internal teams, and then later on I think some of their stuff was developed externally, so the quality always varied wildly. Pokemon Gold was by Mars/Union Bond, and Waixing apparently rejected it at first.. but then they later published it anyway under a different name with minor changes, presumably after ceasing to give a shit.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 07:01:00 AM »
Meh, Sintax. They just re-use the engines ATLEAST 3 times.
Examples : Super Mario-esque Engine : Donkey Kong 5, Digimon Amethyst AND 2003 Digimom Sapphii (yes, Digi'mom' XD)
Buggy, Untested and Crappy Platformer Engine : Digimon Adventure, Spiderman 3, Rayman IV, Sonic 3 Fighter Sonic (seen that on eBay yesterday hah), Crash Bandicoot IV and Lord of the Rings 4.
Many more examples, but these were the ones that are at the top of my list.

And also, Makon Soft/Yong Yong is crap for platformers, but decent for fighting engines. Strange huh? :lol:

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:14:01 AM »
Sintax used to be decent though, they just slid rapidly downhill. I guess they lost all their good developers at some point.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »
Yong Yong/Makon goes without saying.  SNT is another one I despise because their games are almost always garbage (save for one or two like Pokemon Yellow) and their carts are made of a type of plastic with the solidity of a tortilla chip.

Waixing I actually kinda like.  Some of their games are either pretty clever (Wizard of Oz, Jing Hua Yuan) or actually kinda good/almost good (Doraemon, Digital Dragon, Kou Dai Jing Ling - Fei Cui).  It's like they so close to making great games but they just didn't care enough to polish them up.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 08:23:22 AM »
Watari
Aug 30 2012, 08:13:13 AM
SNT is another one I despise because their games are almost always garbage (save for one or two like Pokemon Yellow) and their carts are made of a type of plastic with the solidity of a tortilla chip.[/quote]The "x-in-1 Real Game" multicarts have the same problem with the plastic. <_<

Dragon Co. are pretty bad as well, as most of their games are rubbish platformers.

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »
For me, they're:
-Yong Yong: 99% of their games suck if you ask me. Bad and unresponsive controls, ear-rapping music... and NO decent endings.
-Nice Code: only one music track, overpowered enemies on their RPG's, repetitive level structure.
-Waixing: they're quite good, although their post-2003 works suck balls. Example is the Telefang backport: Pokemon-related Denjuu names, no bonus after the last bossfight, Rambrage being the infamous Mr. Mime... Don't even try them unless you're masochist enough to bow them down.

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »
Woah!  :shock:  Okay, a fair few replies here and if I reply to all of 'em we're gunna have a fair bit of page-stretching going on. So I'll try and make my replies to all of you here in one cohesive post. :)

I suppose now that I think about it, I've been rather unfair of Waixing, they have made more then ONE good game I can admit and at least they're always interesting. Wizard of Oz was definitely a intriguing game (one that I plan to play again).

I admit I haven't played alot of games by these other companies, like Nice Code. But we can all agree: Yong Yong is a steaming pile of technoturds.

Thanks for all replying, guys! :D

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »
RayOfLightning
Aug 30 2012, 12:45:56 PM
I admit I haven't played alot of games by these other companies, like Nice Code. But we can all agree: Yong Yong is a steaming pile of technoturds.

Thanks for all replying, guys! :D[/quote]Woah! They made some decent games  :(
They made Street Fighter Zero 4, and some other fighting games, and they're decent. AND they still make games today. :P

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
RobGBA
Aug 30 2012, 04:09:01 PM
RayOfLightning
Aug 30 2012, 12:45:56 PM

Thanks for all replying, guys! :D[/quote]Woah! They made some decent games  :(
They made Street Fighter Zero 4, and some other fighting games, and they're decent. AND they still make games today. :P[/quote]Well, I will say with no sarcasm that gameplay-wise, their color titles aren't the worst.  There's little to no moving platforms to worry about, the level design is fairly pedestrian so there's not that much crazy Megaman jumping, and most of the enemies just slowly amble along, only being a real threat if they're positioned next to a pit.  I've played games that had even worse level design and obnoxious enemies with tons of projectiles and that chased you.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »
Yeah, they definitely improved later on. even their music got (slightly) better.

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 01:41:05 AM »
It's very clear from all this that I really need to put some time aside to play some more ROMs, I think I've fallen behind a little in the past year or so. xD

I guess I'll be off to the BootlegGames Wikia to find me some prospective games to play. :P

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 05:08:49 AM »
RayOfLightning
Aug 31 2012, 01:41:05 AM
It's very clear from all this that I really need to put some time aside to play some more ROMs, I think I've fallen behind a little in the past year or so. xD

I guess I'll be off to the BootlegGames Wikia to find me some prospective games to play. :P[/quote]Eh, sadly most of the ROMs aren't dumped yet.  :pandaaway:

..Well some ARE dumped, but won't start up, so I'm trying to fix them. Either some are bad dumps, or just so glitchy (or have AP) they won't start in emulators.  :'(

But looking in the ROMs I find hidden stuff, like I found MakonSoftStudios in the SRAM of all the platformers by Yong Yong that have palettes. ^_^
Update: I sorta fixed Sonic 8 but with glitched cutscenes then freezes :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:10:10 AM by Robbi »

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
Unlicensed Archenemies
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »
RobGBA
Aug 31 2012, 05:08:49 AM
RayOfLightning
Aug 31 2012, 01:41:05 AM

I guess I'll be off to the BootlegGames Wikia to find me some prospective games to play. :P[/quote]Eh, sadly most of the ROMs aren't dumped yet.  :pandaaway:

..Well some ARE dumped, but won't start up, so I'm trying to fix them. Either some are bad dumps, or just so glitchy (or have AP) they won't start in emulators.  :'(

But looking in the ROMs I find hidden stuff, like I found MakonSoftStudios in the SRAM of all the platformers by Yong Yong that have palettes. ^_^
Update: I sorta fixed Sonic 8 but with glitched cutscenes then freezes :P[/quote]Yeh, I was fascinated about that, it seems they might be still around developing mobile games if I recall correctly. Though I only found two apps myself and they didn't seem all too spectacular but, eh, mobile games. xD