Author Topic: Hummer music on FamiTracker instrument pack  (Read 6584 times)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
Hummer music on FamiTracker instrument pack
« on: June 21, 2012, 05:31:39 AM »
Okay, I know you have definitely blamed the music in some of the Hummer Team's games and thought you could do better, right? Right? Oh, please, don't hide your eyes away, I know you do. And now, you can actually replicate the way Hummer Cheng's engine sounds with the help of FamiTracker!

Well, let's see whether you can do better with this instrument set.

I compiled this load of crap when I was bored, just as usual. And when I had a magical FamiTracker-based utility called NSF Import which allowed to see what notes, what volumes and what effects the song uses. According to the data it gives when I feed the utility with Hummer NSFs of different ages, I made what you can download below. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to transplant the tracker-based pitch onto the instrument window, so these are not 100% accurate, but will that really bother you. Not to mention that what I give you is not a complete collection (yet), but probably the most exploited part of it.

The triangle drums, in turn, were stolen from Conbon/KingPepe's collection, without his permission, obviously enough  :pandaaway:

Nothing much I have to comment on how to use these, you can pretty much look at the examples or listen to the actual Hummer NSFs channel-by-channel. One thing I would suggest is that triangle drums were mostly used in fighting games where the noise channel is a place for punch/kick sound effects (the only exception from this rule I know: Ture Mortal Kombat 3 and its' Soul Chamber stage). Oh, and one more: if you're going to import the results into Famitone sound engine like I did, then make sure you don't put volumes or effects into the tracker's window and don't go farther than C-1 or B-5.

The Examples folder includes a cover of A Background To History Part 4 by Monty Python (with sources and the track compiled into Famitone demo program) and Dick Dale's famous rendition of Misirlou (with sources only thanks to the goddamn octave range).

That's all, have fun!

LINK ME BEAUTIFUL!

P. S. Anyone, send the jy_evidence.nes file to Hummer, he might be happy to have some fanart of his work.  :pandahappy:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:51:40 AM by Crash Nicker »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »
I've always believed that Hummer's music wasn't the best for certain formats.  It was excellent for doing more mellow or eerie music (the mines stage rendition in DKC4 comes to mind) rather than really upbeat, jovial stuff.

Anyways, this looks pretty awesome.  I gotta download it and finally learn how to use Famitracker, since I've been wanting to compose some 8-bit music myself.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 08:24:48 AM »
Qiezei
Jun 21 2012, 08:10:26 AM
I've always believed that Hummer's music wasn't the best for certain formats.  It was excellent for doing more mellow or eerie music (the mines stage rendition in DKC4 comes to mind) rather than really upbeat, jovial stuff.

Anyways, this looks pretty awesome.  I gotta download it and finally learn how to use Famitracker, since I've been wanting to compose some 8-bit music myself.[/quote]I dunno why, but I personally liked Mortal Kombat 2's soundtrack. It's so damn wacky, I tell you.

Actually, mastering FamiTracker means not just messing around with the tones but make the entire effect table be on your side (or most of it, that depends on), although for the purposes of later use of those instruments in Famitone sound engine, I might advise you to not change volume or add new effects because (almost) everything to follow Hummer style was already set in the instruments themselves. :)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:24:25 AM »
Update: have extracted a couple of instruments from the Unchained Melody Multicarts and already making a cover of one song based on them. Yeah, it's only four instruments: two for the solo, one for background and one for drums, so consider this a quickie. Although it's actually perfect for mocking up calm (optionally, with acoustical guitars) songs, a-la Summer Wine and the above mentioned Unchained Melody.

And if my mind's gonna be set to ripping more instruments from different bootleg games (let's say, Super Game's, never mind it's actually Konami's during their original Twin Bee era), then this thread is gonna be spiced up and renamed, too.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »
Going a bit offtopic. It appears that the example song got leaked somewhere and, as a result, people really began to think it was made by Hummer himself! Oh boy...

Well, seeing is believing.

Doomkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »
Oh my.. This will allow my farfetched "Pirated DooM" idea to go even further. Thanks Crash!

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 12:11:36 AM »
Is my Famitracker producing it wrong, or is the Triangle Drum file not sounding properly? It's supposed to be the percussion that appears at 0.05 in that video above, right? Because all I hear is a sound that goes down, like when you get hurt. Which file is supposed to be those drums?

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »
Barver
Jan 27 2013, 12:11:36 AM
Is my Famitracker producing it wrong, or is the Triangle Drum file not sounding properly? It's supposed to be the percussion that appears at 0.05 in that video above, right? Because all I hear is a sound that goes down, like when you get hurt. Which file is supposed to be those drums?[/quote]The noise drums. You could at least check how it works with the sample .ftm files (with one of them actually being Misirlou).

DalaGStanator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
Oh, if I could use Famitracker, I would've made most, if not All my covers with this. I still find Hummer's horrible music hilarious, and I wish they were still around.