Author Topic: Action 53 is now in development  (Read 4486 times)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
Action 53 is now in development
« on: June 09, 2012, 03:40:12 PM »
Okay, so I was browsing the internets again, looking for a nice multicart engine, until I came across...

THIS.

Long story short, Damian Yerrick decided to make a follow-up to the so very much infamous Action 52 that would include a more interactive menu, as well as a bunch of great and not-so-really-great homebrew games (there are some big names on the list, like Shiru!).

Not to mention that the menu is available to the public and, moreover, is opensource... Which makes it a great base for a multicart, apart from those OneBus-based 200-in-1 cartridges. It requires some knowledge about how NES's memory works, though...

ARProductions

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/ARProductions2010
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
You know, the Action 52, and Cheetahmen games are horrible, but the story behind them are pretty cool. The Game Chasers did a little bit about the games in their latest video.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
ARProductions
Jun 9 2012, 05:22:12 PM
You know, the Action 52, and Cheetahmen games are horrible, but the story behind them are pretty cool. The Game Chasers did a little bit about the games in their latest video.[/quote]I'd even say that the Cheetahmen themselves (plus their theme song) and how this piece of crap was created are perhaps the best things about Action 52, ever.

Talking about, A52's granddaddy on ZX Spectrum, Cassette 60, also had a ton of shitty games written exclusively for this, uh, multitape by a bunch of college students.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:45:24 AM »
Er, bump?

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »
I'm not too big on homebrew games, honestly.  I mean, the concept of an Action 52 style multicart is interesting and could be awesome if done right, I just don't take homebrew/indie stuff to high regard.

Doc.Karnage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
To be honest, I don't quite get why they decided to call it Action 53, most of the games on the list are actually good or at-least decent. all it seems to have in common with A52 is that it is a compilation.

still, seems interesting.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:59:47 AM by Doc.Karnage »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »
Quote:

I just don't take homebrew/indie stuff to high regard.[/quote]
I'll be honest, I'm also expecting something more valuable than tech demos and platform games to be released, so Alter Ego and Solar Wars still remain my favourites since they have that kind of polish NES games should have, IMNQHO.

Quote:

To be honest, I don't quite get why they decided to call it Action 53, most of the games on the list are actually good or at least decent. all it seems to have in common with A52 is that it is a compilation.[/quote]
It's not because it's gonna be a parody, it's more like a "we can do billions of times better" message to Active Enterprises's creation. After all, all the games here so far are taken from a NES coding competition that's being held since last year, so, to compensate the lack of specialized multicart for this event, A53 does the job.

Doc.Karnage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »
So they pretty much gave it that name to give A52 the finger? I can appreciate that. :P

But yeah, this seems like an interesting compilation, I'll probably be giving it a go.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »
Doc.Karnage
Jun 11 2012, 03:23:44 PM
So they pretty much gave it that name to give A52 the finger? I can appreciate that. :P[/quote]Yeah, they did.  :pandahappy:

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »
If there's an Action 52, there SHOULD be an Adventure 52 and a Horror 52! :lol:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 08:04:02 AM by Robbi »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 02:15:45 AM »
RobGBA
Jun 11 2012, 06:24:59 PM
If theses an Action 52, there SHOULD be an Adventure 52 and a Horror 52! :lol:[/quote]...and Racing 52 (this one would be a more realistic variant for a sequel, I guess)!