Author Topic: Custom multi-game Mega Drive cart  (Read 3270 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Custom multi-game Mega Drive cart
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:01:13 PM »
Looking to have a custom Genesis / Mega Drive cartridge produced in the near future. I'd like to have a group consensus as to what would be best to be included. Guidelines:

1) Has to be either something already dumped, or something you own yourself and would be willing to send out to have dumped. Obvious point I know, but nobody is going to pull SMW64 out of their ass (believe me, I've tried).

2) No SRAM, EEPROM saving, or any saving of any kind. Just a straight up ROM only cart.

3) Max total filesize is 64m, with a bare minimum menu. For a fancy pants menu, we'd have to lower the total space alloted for games.

4) ???????

5) PROFIT

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:15:39 AM »
It might be worth pointing out that if the ROM is 64MB, then you'd technically be able to fit 128 games which are 512KB in size. Given that information, I'm guessing you'd be including about 100 games.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:19:20 AM »
I meant 64 megabit (8 megabytes). Was intending to strictly stay with unlicensed games, and most of the decent ones are either 8 or 16m so I figured on 4 to 8 games max.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
I think that'd probably work well in my opinion. However, unless you put the menu data into one of the games, you'd have to include at least one game that's 256k and another that's 128k.

BTW, I'd like to point out that even though the ROM of the Mega Drive port of Frogger is 512k, it's really only 128k. ;)

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:24:08 PM »
My technical and programming expertise is limited to say the very least. Chances are y'all have forgotten more than I will about this particular subject.

What I'm trying to do is create a ROM image to be used on actual hardware that contains several separate game programs. I guess for the sake of simplicity I'll start with around 4 different low memory size games, then possibly start changing things up to fill an entire 32m or 64m cart.

So basically I'm completely lost. I've tried dumping some commercial pirates I own that don't use the reset style selection and actually have a menu (along with complying with TMSS so it works in all systems) then hex editing in some stuff, and nothing seems to work. Is there a somewhat easy way to go about this? I don't want any fancy menu, just a plain text menu and press a button to choose the game.

Hopefully if I can get this down maybe I could use this in conjunction with some other projects to use as fundraisers for sites that are in need of support. I'd love to include something like a link to this forum or the wiki on the menu

Any help is appreciated. Or, if you'd be nice enough to just do it for me that would be great too  You'd receive full credit and a nice shine on your goodguy badge knowing you helped fellow gamers out.

-thanks guys

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »
I managed to program a menu for one in BASIC once, but I couldn't figure out how to load the games. :\

I could send you the file for it if you want.