Author Topic: Pirate games that could be greatly improved with small hacks  (Read 4595 times)

djshok

• View Profile
Pirate games that could be greatly improved with small hacks
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
So, a lot of the pirate games are complete unfixable/unplayabe crap.  But then there are some games out there that are so close to being decent (or even great) that it's almost painful to see them brought down by some small issue.  It seems like quite a few games out there could be fixed with some minor hacking.  Let's see if we can make a list.  

Here's a few that I can think of now.

A Bug's Life - Genesis - This game would be alright if the damn jumping/running worked better.  I wonder if it would be possible to write a Game Genie code to apply to the rom or somehow hack the thing to make the jumping better.  Hell, even if you could just make him jump higher this game would be better.

Tiny Toon Adventures 3 - Genesis - This game is basically good, it just really bugs the hell out of me how that rabbit doesn't have any legs in the title screen.  That and the very Engrish intro back story.

X-Men VS Streetfighter - SNES - Iceman flickering out during kicks.  Yeah this game isn't the best, but it's relatively bug free except for that one very noticeable animation glitch.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:28:33 AM by djshok »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »
That's like over half of pirate games out there.  I can think of over a dozen different games by Waixing, Sachen, Sintax, even Vast Fame that could be much better with small changes.  Two examples of some halfway-decent Waixing games are Digital Dragon, Wizard of Oz, and almost every bad RPG.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
The Lion King 5 would be alright(ish) if those nightmarish game over screens were edited out.

Also, I'd do an NSF replacement for Somari if I was any good at assembly. Mind you, it'd still need better controls. :P

Oh, and I wouldn't mind those Inventor hacks if they retained the original soundtracks.

Yoni Arousement

• View Profile
    • http://yonihq.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »
Here's what I'm thinking:

Somari: *Be able to kill enemies whilst spin dashing, shorten the delay when losing a life.
*Oops, I was thinking of Sonic 3D Blast 5 / Sonic Adventure 7 / Pokémon Adventure

Pokémon Stadium (SNES and MD): Limit the amount of consecutive defense/evade attempts, or have a 20 second time limit when deciding which move you want to use, to add the Arcade feel to it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:12:25 PM by Yoni Arousement »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:48:46 PM »
Lorenzo The Comic
Feb 27 2012, 01:46:28 PM
Here's what I'm thinking:

Somari: Be able to kill enemies whilst spin dashing, shorten the delay when losing a life.

Pokémon Stadium (SNES and MD): Limit the amount of consecutive defense/evade attempts, or have a 20 second time limit when deciding which move you want to use, to add the Arcade feel to it.[/quote]THAT REAL ARCADE FEEL, JUST LIKE GATES OF THUNDER!!  Another thing to add to Somari is the ability to have control of your character during a spindash/roll.  It sucks to use it to kill an enemy only to roll right into a spike pit.  <_<  By the way, you can kill stuff while spindashing, you just can't stop your character.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
I really wish Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan had a grappling mechanic, if that was thrown in it would probably be the greatest beat 'em up behind the Bare Knuckle or Golden Axe series.

Yang Warrior Family really needs the throw damage redone. Throwing enemies does virtually no damage at all, rendering the whole thing useless.

Top Fighter 2000 would be amazing if they removed the stupid "B+Forward makes character freeze" thing. Fix that and put in a throwing game and you'd have probably the best original fighter on the MD that isn't an arcade conversion. A throwing game inserted into KoF '99 would make it loads better also.

Death Caliber would be friggin' awesome if it actually used the Justifier.

Double Dragon for MD by Accolade did so much right, yet the music sucks and it just plays like crap. At least it's better than any of the other Double Dragons on MD.

X-Men VS Street Fighter and Street Fighter EX + Alpha actually control halfway decent (I can pull out specials without problems), but the framerate is so jittery and jarring it ruins the whole experience.

Lord of the Rings 3 could have been even more cooler if they redid the sprites on the remaining characters, rather than just deleting them entirely. That's one of the few unlicensed titles that I consider a "good" game even when compared to licensed developers.

If Hercules 2, Mulan, & Pocket Monster 1 & 2 just got a bit more polish they would have been great platformers on the MD. Even in their present state they're a lot better than a lot of mainstream rubbish.

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
My list:
-Super Contra X (NES) -- Fix the player's movement rate and reduce its difficulty by fixing the collision detection. With those fixes done, the game will be playable without any cheats.
-Zelda: San Shen Zhi Li (NES) -- Replace its music and fix the palette.
-Earthworm Jim 2 (Shin-Shin's version) (NES) -- Make level 4 accessible. If you want to access it, enter "F1658" as a password.
-Happy Biqi III - World Fighter (NES) -- Replace the characters with the ones from Earthworm Jim.
-Fighting Hero (NES) -- Greatly fix the player's movement rate and make it playable by reducing the enemy's difficulty significantly.

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 06:19:54 PM »
KAGE-008
Feb 27 2012, 05:49:04 PM
-Earthworm Jim 2 (Shin-Shin's version) (NES) -- Make level 4 accessible. If you want to access it, enter "F1658" as a password.[/quote]I just tried this and it doesn't seem to work.

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »
KingPepe
Feb 27 2012, 06:19:54 PM
I just tried this and it doesn't seem to work.[/quote]You must have the "Dr.Titus" version of the ROM in order to access the level.

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »
Huh, it seems to be like the Panda Prince where they had these levels hidden and they end up reappearing in another game.

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 04:23:49 PM »
Anyone interested in fixing the fighting Snes one?

Xmen vs street
KOF 2000
Xmen xplus?

I can probably donate!

i would love to see this without jitter!

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »
I'd probably go with Vast Fame's Pokemon clones as they're very fun to play, but they're chucked full of glitches, especially when it comes to the Beast Deposit System (Shui Hu's is very buggy). I'd also allow access to earlier areas com earlier chapters (Shi Kong) and do some touchups on the monster sprites and enemy AI.