Author Topic: "Pokemon" and "Digimon" in Chinese  (Read 12671 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
"Pokemon" and "Digimon" in Chinese
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
So I was just doing a bit of random Wikipedia research, prompted by the observation in the Wiki article on Pokemon Saphire that "Magic Baby" is what Pokemon are called in Taiwan. And what I found out was that in different parts of the Chinese-speaking world, Pokemon are called different things!

On the mainland, they're 口袋妖怪 Kǒudài yāoguài, which is a literal translation of "pocket monsters".

In Hong Kong, they're 寵物小精靈, which would be pronounced in Mandarin as Chǒngwù xiǎo jīnglíng, though I have no idea how it'd be said in Cantonese (Edit: According to MandarinTools.com, that's chung mat siu jing ling). This means "pet elves". (And yes, this explains that one bootleg version of Pokemon Crystal where the mons are referred to as "elves".)

And in Taiwan, they're 神奇寶貝 Shénqí bǎobèi, which are indeed "magic babies".

So now, if you see a Pokemon bootleg, you should be able to figure out where it's from.

The same is true of Digimon, too, for that matter:

In the mainland and Taiwan, they're 数码宝贝 / 數碼寶貝 Shùmǎ bǎobèi, "digital babies".

In Hong Kong, they're 數碼暴龍 Shùmǎ bàolóng (Edit: sou ma bou lung in Cantonese), "digital tyrannosaurs" - where the Chinese for "tyrannosaur" is, in turn, literally translated as "violent dragon". (Yep, this is why some of the Digimon games are called "Digital Dragon"!)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:24:36 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »
I think the "shuma baolong" name for Digimon is used in Taiwan too - V.Fame's Digimon games seem to use it, for example.

edit: and Yong Yong's too.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:30:17 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
taizou
Sep 5 2010, 02:29:31 PM
I think the "shuma baolong" name for Digimon is used in Taiwan too - V.Fame's Digimon games seem to use it, for example.

edit: and Yong Yong's too. [/quote]Ah, interesting. If I'm reading the Chinese Wiki article correctly (and take this with a grain of salt, since I'm using a dictionary and Google Translate :P ), different media (e.g., video games vs. anime) use different titles for the series in Taiwan!

Edit: Ah, that explains it. The zh-TW Digimon article appears to be an automated conversion of the zh-CN article, but this isn't the case for the Pokemon one. So the "Taiwanese" article is using the mainland title. This is confusing. :huh:

Edit further: OK, I was right the first time-- looking further on Google, some Taiwanese translations use the mainland name, some use the Hong Kong name. Interesting! Ah, the wild world of title translations.
Oh, another weird thing. That "Digimon Zhi Hong Lan..." GBA game dumped by SkyLeague that VFame supposedly made? Its actual title is nothing to do with Digimon. The characters on the title screenshot very clearly are "koudai yaoguai"-- and it's even got a Pokeball on it, as if it weren't clear enough.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:51:20 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »
codeman38
Sep 5 2010, 02:36:04 PM
Edit further: OK, I was right the first time-- looking further on Google, some Taiwanese translations use the mainland name, some use the Hong Kong name. Interesting! Ah, the wild world of title translations.
Oh, another weird thing. That "Digimon Zhi Hong Lan..." GBA game dumped by SkyLeague that VFame supposedly made? Its actual title is nothing to do with Digimon. The characters on the title screenshot very clearly are "koudai yaoguai"-- and it's even got a Pokeball on it, as if it weren't clear enough.[/quote]Obviously, some pirates don't know the difference between Pokémon and Digimon. Wait, is Digimon the cartridge name or something?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
Thats what makes me wonder if Sky League's dump is a hack or something. although V.Fame based Pokemon Ruby off their Digimon game when they had a Pokemon clone engine they could have used (Shi Kong Xing Shou) so maybe they arent too bothered about mixing the two.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »
taizou
Sep 5 2010, 04:26:44 PM
Thats what makes me wonder if Sky League's dump is a hack or something. although V.Fame based Pokemon Ruby off their Digimon game when they had a Pokemon clone engine they could have used (Shi Kong Xing Shou) so maybe they arent too bothered about mixing the two.[/quote]I wouldn't be surprised. Waixing combined Pokémon and Telefang so V. Fame probably did something similar.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 05:12:47 PM »
Cheetahmen
Sep 5 2010, 04:48:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised. Waixing combined Pokémon and Telefang so V. Fame probably did something similar.[/quote]And the name of Waixing's Pokémon/Telefang combo is an unholy combination of the Chinese and HK names of Pokémon - "Koudai Jingling", or "Pocket Elves"!

Edit: Or at least that's the ROM name, anyway. The title screen reads "Chongwu", i.e., "pets", and...I don't know the other three characters, but they're not part of Digimon or Pokémon. The subtitle is 翡翠版 Feicui ban, "jade edition". Wonder where the ROM name came from, anyway-- was that what was printed on the cartridge?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:33:10 PM by codeman38 »

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 05:01:38 AM »
Then, there is a Digimon game, the Shuma Zhandui 2 one. How do you translate Zhandui?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 12:18:05 PM »
SpaceNinja
Sep 6 2010, 05:01:38 AM
Then, there is a Digimon game, the Shuma Zhandui 2 one. How do you translate Zhandui?[/quote]战队 "Zhandui" is something along the lines of "fighting team".

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »
That makes sense... sort of. Digital Fighting Team 2. Yet I beat it with my starter ONLY.

klax

• Banned
    • View Profile
    • http://nesdevelopment.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 09:47:48 AM »
hmmmmmm

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 10:04:44 AM »
klax
Jun 30 2011, 09:47:48 AM
hmmmmmm[/quote]Pointless retarded comment.

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »
Unnecessary bump was unnecessary. Don't bump topics unless you have something good to say, klax.