Author Topic: The source of Gowin's sound driver  (Read 3268 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The source of Gowin's sound driver
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:02:35 PM »
I just realized, thanks to NusuttoSan's recently posted video of Magic Lamp, where Gowin reverse-engineered their sound driver from.

I already spoiled it in the comments, so don't peek if you want to guess... but I'll give a hint: the sound effect at 1:55 is a dead giveaway if you've played the game in question.

The answer's in the video's comments for those who still aren't sure. :)

Edit: ...And my memory is made of fail, as always. I already mentioned this back in the video for Stone Age. ::facepalm::

Edit #2: This also serves as a connection between Gowin's color and monochrome games. Despite the...very different quality of the music composition, the mono games also use a Konami sound driver. (See, for instance, the pause sound in Rainbow Prince.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:13:59 PM by codeman38 »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:17:55 PM »
I figured it was from a Konami sound engine; if you've played Rainbow Prince, you'd notice how it uses the same sound effects in the same places as the GB port of Twinbee.  And the game's a Twinbee clone on top of that.

Gee, blatant enough there Hotkid?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »
Qiezei
Dec 24 2011, 05:17:55 PM
I figured it was from a Konami sound engine; if you've played Rainbow Prince, you'd notice how it uses the same sound effects in the same places as the GB port of Twinbee.  And the game's a Twinbee clone on top of that.

Gee, blatant enough there Hotkid?[/quote]::giggle:: True, that one is especially obvious. But even their not-a-clear-Konami-ripoff mono games use Konami's sound code. Fire Dragon has the same sound effects, for instance.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 05:27:33 PM »
Just wondering, was the TwinBee ripoff the first game they released? It'd make sense given the sound engine.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »
Awesome Panda
Dec 24 2011, 05:27:33 PM
Just wondering, was the TwinBee ripoff the first game they released? It'd make sense given the sound engine.[/quote]Actually, it was their fifth game.  Not sure what their first game was...Top Secret, maybe?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »
Top Secret = Puzzle Path = Lost Trip, which is clearly their 7th game if model numbers are to be trusted. So who knows...

Edit: Model number for Lost Trip from the promotional flyers that NESworld received from Gowin. As well as from Qiezei's manual for Dino Century.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:08:18 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:19:08 PM »
So Magic Ball was their first game, I guess, unless there's a missing GS01 out there... though their other mono games sound less Konamish than Fire Dragon and Rainbow Prince, and those two also have far better music imo. Hanmin Liao is credited for Fire Dragon so I'm guessing he did Rainbow Prince too.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »
I think the sound engine is the same as Yong Yongs

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 06:06:01 PM »
RobGBA
Dec 25 2011, 05:23:52 PM
I think the sound engine is the same as Yong Yongs[/quote]We just said that it's Konami's engine.  Yong Yong's sound engine is way different and way worse.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 07:02:38 AM »
Qiezei
Dec 25 2011, 06:06:01 PM
RobGBA
Dec 25 2011, 05:23:52 PM
I think the sound engine is the same as Yong Yongs[/quote]We just said that it's Konami's engine.  Yong Yong's sound engine is way different and way worse.[/quote]Yes, I know you said it was ^_^ , but the engine and some of the graphics (especially the level card or whatever it's called) just seem like yong yong re-mastered! And the sound driver is ear-rape. :shock: