Author Topic: X Boy's Famicom multicarts  (Read 4403 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
X Boy's Famicom multicarts
« on: October 16, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
maxzhou88 dumped X-War and X-Plan from some multicarts recently -
http://hi.baidu.com/maxzhou88/blog/item/a93323128d35c5d2c2fd786d.html
these were both already dumped in different forms so im not creating a whole new topic in the dumps forum (X-War is slighty different to the dump, it has a 2001 copyright, a TM symbol left over from Silkworm and remnants of a Sammy logo) but the interesting thing (to me anyway) is the carts these things were dumped from.

I don't think I can hotlink images from baidu but go to the blog post and have a look for yourself - they're X Boy multicarts! X Boy being the publisher of a whole bunch of Mega Drive pirate originals developed by Gamtec & co. Now this would explain Panda World only being found on a similar XB multi - its a Gamtec (or related) game. After a certain point they seem to have switched to Inventor hacks though.

Heres a list of the ones I'm aware of:
XB-F70 - 76~10MGin1 Super Pocket Monster, Castlevania (Boku Dracula Kun), Chip & Dale 2, Galaxian, Pooyan, Track & Field, Ninja Fighter (Ikki), Macross, Bungeling Bay, Bush Roller (Cheetahmen has this one. btw any chance of a PCB shot? im kinda curious)
XB-F812 - 9 in 1 Panda World, Konami 1, Bubble Bobble, Duck, Robot Fighter, Pinball, Mario Bros, Macross, Road Fighter
XB-F863 - 8 in 1 Star Wars (???), Fighter, Spar, Hellfire, Maze, 3 more
XB-F865 -8 in 1 Super Fighters (Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu hack), Basketball, X-Plan, Ladangel, Little Hag, Tennis, Bomb, Penguin
XB-F866 - 9 in 1 Frog Prince, Basketball, Bomb, Tennis, Aether, Sheer Nijia 3 (???), 3 more

This probably also explains the broken Super Pocket Monster on the 76 in 1 - its a previously unseen variation, and it'd be quite hard to break a game that way if they'd just ripped it from some other cart, but if it came direct from their contact at Gamtec he might have accidentally sent them the wrong version of the game.

also according to maxzhou88 the Inventor-hack ones came from a friend who got them from the Hong Kong Game Show in 2002 (or something like that), so who knows if they were ever actually released in the end..

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »
Finally! I always wondered who made those damn multis. I remember seeing them for the first time in an ad with offers from a local supermarket. What I still don't get is why maxzhou doesn't just dump the entire carts. And also, is that Viewtiful Joe in the cart with 'Aether' on it? :P
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:23:33 PM by Ninja-Kun »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
taizou
Oct 16 2011, 07:01:33 PM
XB-F70 - 76~10MGin1 Super Pocket Monster, Castlevania (Boku Dracula Kun), Chip & Dale 2, Galaxian, Pooyan, Track & Field, Ninja Fighter (Ikki), Macross, Bungeling Bay, Bush Roller (Cheetahmen has this one. btw any chance of a PCB shot? im kinda curious)[/quote]I would, but my camera's broken and I suspect (given how cheaply made the cart is) the tabs would probably end up breaking afterwards. <_<

Also, if Maxzhou88 has those multicarts then why does he dump the games one by one? Wouldn't it make more sense to dump the whole thing? :huh:

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »
Ninja-Kun
Oct 16 2011, 07:23:06 PM
Finally! I always wondered who made those damn multis. I remember seeing them for the first time in an ad with offers from a local supermarket. What I still don't get is why maxzhou doesn't just dump the entire carts. And also, is that Viewtiful Joe in the cart with 'Aether' on it? :P[/quote]ah so theyve spread all over the world ;D did the ones you saw have Inventor hacks or Gamtec games (or neither)?

But yeah, I have no idea why maxzhou doesn't just dump all the carts he has in their entirety. Maybe theyre hard to dump that way for some reason (or maybe itd mean writing a new mapper for emulators)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:44:48 PM »
Wow, I should've considered that the "XB" in the serial number of that 76-in-1 cart might actually be significant...

Rather interesting that they didn't stick their logo on the cart itself, though, as they did with their MD carts.

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »
IMO, "XB" (AKA X-Boy) is another alias of the same people who made the 101-in-1 Arcade Action.

EDIT: I don't know more about those "X-Boy" developers, but you can find some of their NES hacks on the 101-in-1 Arcade Action multicart.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:11:39 AM by KAGE-008 »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
X-Boy is only a distributor. Inventor is definitely the developer on those hacks, as far as all of us here know (based on maxzhou's commentary, among other things).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:30:29 AM by codeman38 »

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »
taizou
Oct 16 2011, 07:39:32 PM
Ninja-Kun
Oct 16 2011, 07:23:06 PM
Finally! I always wondered who made those damn multis. I remember seeing them for the first time in an ad with offers from a local supermarket. What I still don't get is why maxzhou doesn't just dump the entire carts. And also, is that Viewtiful Joe in the cart with 'Aether' on it? :P[/quote]ah so theyve spread all over the world ;D did the ones you saw have Inventor hacks or Gamtec games (or neither)?

But yeah, I have no idea why maxzhou doesn't just dump all the carts he has in their entirety. Maybe theyre hard to dump that way for some reason (or maybe itd mean writing a new mapper for emulators)[/quote]As far as I remember (this was around 2003/2004), they had Inventor hacks, since the carts had pictures like Ms. Pac-Man with the word 'Maze' below her (what a silly way of revealing that 'Maze' is just a lazy hack of Pac-Man, although everybody could figure that out by playing 5 seconds of it anyways :P)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
Just wondering; if they tried to avoid copyright infringement by hacking the games, then why do they use copyrighted images on the packaging? :rolleyes:

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »
Because they're dumb, that's why :P

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »
Also I'd bet they didn't give a shit.