Author Topic: Possible Metal Slug GBC prototype in a pirate "Terrifying 9/11"  (Read 6527 times)

oaa

• View Profile
Apparently there's a really messed up Metal Slug ripoff in a pirate called 'Terrifying 9/11' with a full FMV of the twin towers getting hit (WTF). Very politically incorrect. But it even takes sprites from it. SNK was developing one for the GBC but then they canceled it to presumably work on the GBA version. Looks too good for an actual pirate game. This may be taking code from a prototype.

http://scifioverdrive.com/dave/911/index.php

EDIT: Anyone have a copy of the ROM?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:29:34 PM by oaa »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Possible Metal Slug GBC prototype in a pirate "Terrifying 9/11"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
Oh, I've read about this thing as well, but I haven't seen it in action either, much less a dump of it.

The weirdest thing is that this is not the only Metal Slug-related GBC pirate original with a 9/11 theme. There's also a version of BBD's Metal Slug 2001 with the same theme, titled The Beet Terrif Battle of 2002 (sic, sic, sic!).

Edit: On a couple forums when I tried searching for stuff about it (and on the page you linked above, for that matter), I found out that Terrifying 9/11 is credited to a company named Hitek. They're also credited in a couple RPGs that have been dumped-- "Heroic Sword" and "Bokujou Monogatari 2", the latter of which is not Harvest Moon 2 at all but whose header claims that it is.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:41:42 PM by codeman38 »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:51:04 PM »
I forget but I was under the impression that this game is one of the already dumped Metal Slug pirates for GBC(were there more than one?). Always wanted to find a copy of this game, seems to have been a common find in other countries up until 2005~6.

Edit: Yeah, just looked at the screenshots. Guess it's a Sintax game that other piraters redistributed with the stupid 9/11 story since they saw that as a way to make it appear to be something else. And I always thought it was an original game.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:53:33 PM by Barver »

oaa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:37:48 PM »
Sorta offtopic but there was a lightgun pirate that replaced shooting ducks with Osama Bin Laden for the Famicom

http://hi.baidu.com/maxzhou88/blog/item/49cc541b72b4dcfcaf5133a9.html

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »
Barver
Aug 23 2010, 08:51:04 PM
Edit: Yeah, just looked at the screenshots. Guess it's a Sintax game that other piraters redistributed with the stupid 9/11 story since they saw that as a way to make it appear to be something else. And I always thought it was an original game.[/quote]I don't recall the base game for Terrifying 911 (the one in oaa's link) actually being dumped, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The original version of Beet Terrif Battle (which I linked), on the other hand, is dumped as Metal Slug 2001.

Yeah, I know it's confusing. Two completely different Metal Slug knockoffs, both with 9/11 storylines. What are the chances?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:37:24 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
codeman38
Aug 24 2010, 12:36:35 AM
Yeah, I know it's confusing. Two completely different Metal Slug knockoffs, both with 9/11 storylines. What are the chances?[/quote]Probably about the same odds as two pirate developers porting a game to a system that it had already been ported to officially. (Mega Drive Aladdin, in case you couldn't guess) Anyway, is anyone sure that these games are by two different developers? As far as I can tell that's the case, but analysing Terrifying 911 might help.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »
Cheetahmen
Aug 24 2010, 09:45:34 AM
Probably about the same odds as two pirate developers porting a game to a system that it had already been ported to officially. (Mega Drive Aladdin, in case you couldn't guess) Anyway, is anyone sure that these games are by two different developers? As far as I can tell that's the case, but analysing Terrifying 911 might help.[/quote]Ah, this is true. Why did I not think of Aladdin? Heh.

And it may very well be possible that Terrifying 911 was by BBD; I don't know why I didn't think of that possibility. The two Hitek RPGs that I mentioned both seem very Sintax-ish, not to mention that both Metal Slug knockoffs use the fonts from PC Paint...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:14:40 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »
codeman38
Aug 24 2010, 11:13:52 AM
Cheetahmen
Aug 24 2010, 09:45:34 AM
Probably about the same odds as two pirate developers porting a game to a system that it had already been ported to officially. (Mega Drive Aladdin, in case you couldn't guess) Anyway, is anyone sure that these games are by two different developers? As far as I can tell that's the case, but analysing Terrifying 911 might help.[/quote]Ah, this is true. Why did I not think of Aladdin? Heh.

And it may very well be possible that Terrifying 911 was by BBD; I don't know why I didn't think of that possibility. The two Hitek RPGs that I mentioned both seem very Sintax-ish, not to mention that both Metal Slug knockoffs use the fonts from PC Paint...[/quote]Yeah. I was thinking (as stupid as it sounds) that Sintax (or whoever it was that made Metal Slug 2001) made both games. The graphics look somewhat similar from what I could tell. (with the colour blotches in the backgrounds, at least)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »
i found this on taobao a while back:
http://fuji.drillspirits.net/stuff/sintaxms2.jpg
http://fuji.drillspirits.net/stuff/sintaxms2-back.jpg
strange thing is the screenshots on the back don't look anything like either of these games. so maybe there could be a third GBC metal slug out there?

RVVD4029

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
Taizou that metal slug game you have is really the sprite hack of metal slug 2001 sky league has that changes the sprites and intro to be heavily related to metal slug 3 by sintax.
Oaa that metal slug game is really a intro hack of metal slug 2 by sintax. The wierd thing is li cheng rereleased the same game. However the text was still left in taiwanese.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:20:39 PM by RVVD4029 »