Author Topic: Tons of new MD hacks  (Read 18229 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
http://rufiles.narod.ru/page2.htm

Crash Bandicoot! (Really Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel.)
Diablo! (Really Fatal Labyrinth.)
Fast & Furious 5! (Really Combat Cars.)
Ice Age 3 & 4! (Both Chuck Rock.)
Hugo! (Really Chuck Rock 2.)

...well, you get the idea.
Oh, dude, he's also got an unencrypted version of Battle of Red Cliffs on this other page.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:37:16 AM by codeman38 »

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
Well, typical lazy hacks. Counter Strike on Megadrive/Genesis? I don't believe the megadrive had a Modem or any sort of internet access. Now I'm wondering what the pirates would come up with if the titles were used for Pirate Originals.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
I should hope that Avatar hack never got released, mainly because that Jim Power prototype was far from complete. -_-

BTW, what is it with all of these Russian hacks appearing recently? :huh: Especially odd is that a lot of them are "based" on stuff that came out recently, like Gran Turismo 5 and Kung Fu Panda 2. (Can't remember if the latter actually exists, but whatever)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »
I seem to recall seeing that a lot of these were released for a Russian-exclusive portable Mega Drive system. But that still doesn't explain why some of these games are based on things that came out just months ago.

On the sequel things... I'm sure at least some of them are just attempts to make a fake sequel before the official companies make a real one. Nothing in them that's specifically in the sequels, and heck, one of the games is Ice Age 4. :lol: However, Fast & Furious 5 really does have that particular sequel's Russian subtitle. So who knows.
Also, for those who didn't notice at the top, there are several new originals that have been added too. Some of them are ones we've already seen, like TTA3 and Power Rangers. But then there's the unencrypted ROM of Red Cliffs. And a weird Pirates of the Caribbean-themed Battle City knockoff.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:53:53 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
codeman38
Aug 18 2011, 10:50:47 AM
On the sequel things... I'm sure at least some of them are just attempts to make a fake sequel before the official companies make a real one. Nothing in them that's specifically in the sequels, and heck, one of the games is Ice Age 4. :lol: However, Fast & Furious 5 really does have that particular sequel's Russian subtitle. So who knows.[/quote]Or maybe they just pick random numbers like those Famicom hackers. :P

Speaking of the The Battle of Red Cliffs, the sound effects definitely suggest that it's by Gamtec and I think it's based off the same game as San Guo Zhi IV by Future Media/Cony/whatever they're called.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »
Cheetahmen
Aug 18 2011, 10:55:40 AM
Speaking of the The Battle of Red Cliffs, the sound effects definitely suggest that it's by Gamtec and I think it's based off the same game as San Guo Zhi IV by Future Media/Cony/whatever they're called.[/quote]Yeah, that is definitely the Wonder Boy sound engine-- and the fonts are from PC Paint, too-- so yeah, I think your Gamtec suspicion is correct. :)

And the subtitle of Future's San Guo Zhi IV literally means "Red Cliff Wind Cloud". So yeah. No idea if they're both based on the same PC game or something, or if one is a remake/demake of the other, but yeah, they're the same game more or less.
Oh, something else interesting. That Pirates of the Caribbean 3 game? I assumed that the music, being so good, had to have been ripped from a legit game. Nope, judging from a hex dump, they used sample modules from TFM Music Maker. :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:13:01 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »
codeman38
Aug 18 2011, 11:00:35 AM
And the subtitle of Future's San Guo Zhi IV literally means "Red Cliff Wind Cloud". So yeah. No idea if they're both based on the same PC game or something, or if one is a remake/demake of the other, but yeah, they're the same game more or less.[/quote]I somehow doubt any company would want to associate themselves with Future Media's games, and given that their only other game under that alias is a port of Crayon Shin-Chan (or whatever it's called) on the Super Famicom, I really doubt theirs is the original.

BTW, that Pirates of the Carribean game looks a lot like a cross between Overboard and Battle City if anything. Given that the latter was rather prolific in Russia, it's probably a homebrew effort. Oh, and the game is so awesome it managed to bugger up Kega Fusion because it doesn't like Cyrillic letters.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »
Cheetahmen
Aug 18 2011, 11:21:14 AM
BTW, that Pirates of the Carribean game looks a lot like a cross between Overboard and Battle City if anything. Given that the latter was rather prolific in Russia, it's probably a homebrew effort. Oh, and the game is so awesome it managed to bugger up Kega Fusion because it doesn't like Cyrillic letters.[/quote]::giggle:: Heh, same thing happened to me under Mac OS. At least now I know Kega is consistently buggy across platforms. :)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
I just noticed something, the music sounds like it was converted with that MIDI converter that Tommy Xie made. I might be wrong, but I think one of the stage themes is remade from a Mega Man game (it might take a few tries to get it because the theme is randomised and there's about 6 of them) and the game over theme is sampled from a Master System game.

djshok

• View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »
LOL T3 the Arcade Game actually T2 the Arcade Game hahahha, ah Russia... way to make Chinese knockoffs look authentic.

Brn89

• View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
I played Battle Of Red Cliffs earlier on and it's quite dreadful, as the controls are nearly broken. I mean, you turn to the opposite direction when you get hit and there's poor hit detection also. When I do a video of it later this month or in September, you'll know what I mean. And for that Pirates Of The Carribean game... is that a hack or a pirate original? I'm intrigued by it for some reason.
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
BrydoRX
Aug 19 2011, 09:02:11 AM
And for that Pirates Of The Carribean game... is that a hack or a pirate original? I'm intrigued by it for some reason.[/quote]I might be wrong, but I think it's a homebrew more than anything. If it is a hack, it's probably based off one of those Battle City homebrews.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »
BrydoRX
Aug 19 2011, 09:02:11 AM
I played Battle Of Red Cliffs earlier on and it's quite dreadful, as the controls are nearly broken. I mean, you turn to the opposite direction when you get hit and there's poor hit detection also. When I do a video of it later this month or in September, you'll know what I mean. And for that Pirates Of The Carribean game... is that a hack or a pirate original? I'm intrigued by it for some reason.[/quote]Yeah, the controls are horribly broken in Red Cliffs. And yet it looks and sounds so deceptively good...

And Pirates is definitely some sort of homebrew thing.

Azathoth

• View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »
codeman38
Aug 18 2011, 10:50:47 AM
Some of them are ones we've already seen, like TTA3 and Power Rangers. But then there's the unencrypted ROM of Red Cliffs. [/quote]Damn, I forgot to post my dump link to that from a month or so ago on this board. Glad to see it's making it's rounds though :)

On my RetroN3, Red Cliffs really sounds great where the sound channels aren't quite at the right equalization. The bass in the songs really jumps out.

There's a ton of interesting stuff there. Looks like almost all of the Russian hacks are accounted for now, with the exception of just a few. Now where the hell is Biohazard 3?

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tons of new MD hacks
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »
Out of interest, which ones haven't been dumped yet?