Author Topic: Overmax 151 in 1  (Read 11894 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Overmax 151 in 1
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:40:47 PM »
this is something i got a while back, a VT03 based console with 151 games built in. heres a stock photo because i'm lazy:

Overmax is a Polish distributor, theyve released quite a lot of stuff like this. but they seem to have discontinued it in favour of a 101 in 1 version with those Nanjing 16-bit games, including a ton of repeats.

it's manufactured by Qi Sheng Long, their page is here: http://www.qishenglong.com/doce/product/details_286.html
there was also a short lived version released by Bluetek in New Zealand or something.

it's a nice compact unit - makes a change from all those bulky Wii clones where 95% of the case is empty - but the controllers let it down. wireless isnt very responsive at all and the D-pad is kinda painful to use for any long period of time.

Anyway the games are the interesting part - its mostly VT03 Nice Code stuff, a lot of them are just graphically updated rehashes of their older games from the DreamGear etc but there are a few decent platform games and shooters and stuff that I've never seen anywhere else. The last few games arent VT03 but a bunch of Dragon Co. hacks are in there among other stuff.

screenshots of everything: http://www.mediafire.com/?6c7m1hjia0haa3d
i'll post a few impressions of the games later.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:15:12 PM »
I might be wrong, but isn't the snowman on the title screen of Snowball taken from The Snowman?

Edit: Looking through some of the other images:

- IMO, the bloke in Reversi sort of looks like a cross between Captain America and the Engineer from TF2.
- The thing on Fruitboxes' title screen is a bad edit of Kirby.
- The graphics in Devil Palace look a lot like the ones from (I think) the Super Bomberman games.
- Skiing is a Skifree clone.
- The girl on Beach Volleyball's title screen is most likely stolen from somewhere.
- Aviator looks a lot like Air Fortress if you ask me.
- 2 of the games are called Enchanter.
- The background in Curley Monkey looks like an updated version of Adventure Island's graphics.
- Howling Killer uses Comic Sans for some crazy reason.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:29:34 PM by Awesome Panda »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
well the other two snowman...things on there definitely look like theyre from Snow Bros.
heres some mini descriptions of all 151 of these damn things. On-screen names are in brackets where they differ from the menu name
1. Defender (Earth Fighter) -  oh this one's on the DreamGear. just a shoot-the-falling-YONG YONG game
2. Close Quarter -  Rehash of "Aimless" I think. Possibly based on some Intellivision game, you just move crosshairs around and shoot stuff
3. Shark -  on the DreamGear again, eat the bigger fish yknow
4. Twin Cards -  well yeah. rehash of that. Press B on the title screen and it crashes
5. Final Man -  rehash of Five Days. some odd graphics glitching, not sure if this is a result of the VT03 or what
6. Santa Claus -  rehash of Mad Xmas
7. Fishing -  rehash of Cute Fish/Antiquarium
8. Transmission -  rehash of Teleport
9. Brave Boy -  rehash of Octopus. when you get hit theres a picture of you giving the monster a bath. i dunno why all the variations on this game have slightly pervy scenes there
10. Enchanter -  oh its one of these games. shoot up at stuff thats dropping stuff on you. that you can jump over. and etc.
11. Lemon Brat -  Thin Ice on the Intellivision I think? its a sort of Qix variant. quite fun.
12. Robot -  another shoot-up-at-stuff game
13. Sea Monster -  space invaders clone. i think this is Intellivision based
14. Undersea Base -  rehash of Bubble/Burbles
15. Little Indian -  rehash of Man In Red
16. Hunter Alone -  another one like Enchanter.
17. Awuful Rushing (Awful Rushing) -  yeah its awful. there are loads of versions of this game, you just drive up the screen really fast and crash into stuff
18. Fish Journey (Fish Joumey) -  Pobble rehash
19. Mask -  Twin Fish rehash
20. Monster Trouble -  Hit Mouse rehash
21. Box World (Snowball) -  that Sokoban clone
22. Assart -  aka Pathway or Radish Field or whatever. clear as much of the screen as possible. could have been better if they fleshed it out a bit more but its too easy and the stages just loop randomly.
23. Cryptic Base -  yet another shooting falling YONG YONG game
24. Warrior -  rehash of "Spiderman" (i've never played the original but its out there). shoot stuff on various levels and use a rope (or a web originally, i guess) to move between them
25. Unwonted Space -  rehash of "Contest 2004"/"Butterfly"/etc. move around the screen and shoot at the other dude
26. 100m Dush -  Track & Field hack/clone with pandas
27. Achery -  and again
28. Shoot -  another
29. Discus Put -  ...
30. Javelin -  yay for pandas
31. Triple Jump -  the last one.
32. Sudoku -  Sudoku game. I think it was designed for a custom Sudoku controller because each number is assigned to a different button mostly on the 2P controller, except 6 which is on 1P. and it makes no damn sense
33. Fateful Battle -  rehash of Seaport Guarl
34. Reversi -  yep a Reversi game. amazing title screen
35. Boxes Game (Fruitboxes) -  has Kirby in it, wearing glasses so Nintendo won't recognise him. cunning. I've played this on paper, dunno what it's called. you have a grid of dots and you have to draw lines to make boxes
36. Devil Palace -  some kind of maze game. collect treasure and drop thingys to stop the ghosts. the end
37. Bubbles -  that tetris clone with 100 different names
38. Girl -  some maze game. you just have to choose whether to turn or not and try to reach the exit
39. Skiing -  Intellivision rehash
40. Ice Hockey -  Intellivision rehash again
41. Basketball -  and another
42. Volleyball -  anddd one more.
43. Warrior Lemon -  another. Night Stalker originally, I think?
44. Greedy -  graphical update of the dreamgear game
45. Bomb Kid -  the Bomberman clone
46. Devildom Doom -  another updated dreamgear game
47. Rabbit's Triple -  that Poke Tetris game, only with a rabbit. and completely broken music
48. Hallihoo -  well its the same game as Hallihoo on the DreamGear. but the graphics are an update version of Magic Place, which is some other version.
49. Deformable -  updated version of the dreamgear game
50. Pulveration -  and another
51. Pongpong (Ramming) -  just shunt the other dudes into the holes.
52. Agile Mouse -  rehash of Mowing
53. Swing (Spring World) -  update of the dreamgear game
54. Racing Rivalry -  split screen horizontal racing game
55. Speed Crisis -  horizontal racing game with pits and ramps to jump over and stuff
56. Jumping Weald (Adventure Robot) -  rehash of Forest Adventure
57. Kong King (Forest Kid) -  platform game with a sort of tarzan esque kid
58. Champion Boat (Track Racing) -  single screen overhead racing game. controls seem a bit oversensitive though
59. Speed Challenge -  sort of like RC Pro-Am.
60. Mission Impossible (Aether Mission) -  a shooter. decent graphics, are they stolen?
61. Poleaxe (Assault Force) -  rehash of Vigilant
62. Abscondee (Adventurer) -  Abscondee. thats totally what it is
63. Zooming -  like a shooter, but you can't actually shoot anything. so like a scrolling dodge-YONG YONG-in-space game.
64. Worm Dream -  oh im sure i've seen this before. collect stuff from around the screen and yeah
65. Distinction -  rehash of Difference
66. Vangvard (Vanguard) -  scrolling tank shooty thing
67. Sky Dreamer -  platformer. in the sky. pretty cool
68. Hamburger -  make burgers or something. i have no idea how this game actually works. but it has given me the idea to put aubergine on a burger
69. Through Man (Aviator) -  hybrid shooty game. horizontal stages then sort of into-the-screen stuff. i quite like this one
70. Heroes Mice -  catch all the various cute animals the cat is dropping out of his sack. and bounce dynamite back up at him
71. Sky Wing -  horizontal shooter. yeps
72. Jig Chick -  Q-Bert clone I think
73. Chine Checkers (Chinese Checkers) -  self explanatory i think. hey did you know Chinese Checkers is actually German? i didn't.
74. Out Run -  totally not the Sega game. its kind of a Frogger ish thing, in reverse
75. Backgammon -  backgammon game. totally
76. Thunderman -  platform beat 'em up type thing, quite hard
77. Defier -  collect the pack things from the bottom and take them to the top to disable each of the three.. red things
78. Heromice2 (Heroes Mice II) -  basically Heroes Mice 1 only scrolling. and lots of cat stuff.
79. Submarine (Target Submarine) -  Submarine rehash
80. Puppet Show -  seen this before, i forget what it was called. you and the computer take turns to shoot balls at the stuff in the background while the other one defends
81. Merry Christmas -  rehash of Pizzaboy/something with chickens. pick up presents from the house and take them wherever theyre needed
82. Repair Urgently -  Road Worker rehash
83. Patternmaker -  match up the buttons on each side
84. Homing Chicken -  move the blocks around to give the chicks a path from the top to the bottom of the screen. they look more like baby penguins to me but there you go
85. UFO -  rehash of Beach Ball from a few things. its basically another eat-smaller-things game
86. Fishing (Fishing Challenge) -  more of a proper fishing game than the other one. select a location and actually fish and stuff
87. Team Star -  Brother Ball rehash
88. Monster Hunter -  Police vs Thief -  Violent Chasing rehash. capcom definitely didn't have anything to do with this
89. Enchanter -  the second game called Enchanter. this one is way better. Its a bit like Mr Onion by Jungletac
90. Mike Pig -  Cookies Labyrinth rehash
91. Irrigate -  Hammer & Nail rehash
92. Spring Jester -  Power Robot rehash. with background :3 faces
93. Tower -  Climbing Climbing Climbing rehash. with a bigger tower
94. Road Mound -  Water Pipes with roads
95. Symbol Puzzle -  Mahjong solitaire more or less
96. Puzzle Blocks -  Blocks World rehash
97. Knock It -  another whack a mole type game, not Hit Mouse based
98. Invincible Girl -  shoot upwards  to make blocks drop from the ceiling on the black fuzzy things. the palette is completely fucked in this game -  in the first level you can't see the blocks at the top, in the second you can but everything else is totally wrong
99. Dominose (Dominoes) -  dominoes game.
100. Checkers -  oh guess
101. Experiment -  catch the right coloured drops
102. Curly Monkey -  platform game. not bad but you die quite easily
103. Ardent Rally -  a racing game. seems like it might be based on the F1 race engine
104. Worldcup -  an actual football game! not just penalty/goalkeeping/etc.
105. Jumping Kid (Amusement Park: Jumping Kid) -  update of the DreamGear game
106. Amusement Park2 -  sequel to the above. with a dog. More Circus Charlie esque levels.
107. Frontal Fire -  Final Blood rehash
108. Battle Plan -  pretty decent shooter
109. Curly Monkey II -  this is definitely my favourite. a platform game that seems to have had a reasonable amount of effort put into it.
110. Commando -  sort of Contra esque game
all games are VT02/standard famicom after this point:
111. Blocks Array -  just Diamond with a new title screen
112. Goblet Tower -  on the dreamgear
113. Bomb King -  "Depth Bomb" with different graphics
114. Mine -  "Mouse Snare" with different graphics
115. Angler Fish -  "Burrow Explorer" with different graphics
116. Metro Menia (Metro Mania) -  on the dreamgear
117. Racing Fighter -  Sort of Spy Hunter esque game
118. Baseball -  "TV Baseball", as seen on Nanjing's site. basically a Wii clone baseball game, uses the same player names i've seen in all of these.  oddly silent -  maybe the original used sampled sound and they cut it to save space?
119. Fishing -  yep, another fishing game. this one's a bit more fleshed out, like it was for a standalone console. opens with a "Sandai" logo.
120. Lightning -  on the dreamgear
121. Super Hero -  Felix the Cat hack, starts on a different level to the DG version
122. Primitive Woman -  Tom & Jerry hack, part 1
123. Primitive Man -  Tom & Jerry hack, part 2
124. Wonder Rabbit -  on the dreamgear
125. Gem Game -  That game where a plane flies across the screen a bit lower each time and you have to press a button to bomb the buildings. i'm sure it has a name.
126. Fair's_Treasure (Fairy's Treasure) -  bit like some Jungletac game. you just fly down from the top and collect stuff from all over the screen
127. Meccano -  not a damn thing to do with the toy. you just have to put the shapes in the right place
128. Seawolf -  on the dreamgear
129. Fruit Tree -  stuff drops down conveyor belts and you have to line up the containers for it to land in
130. Aether Captor -  "Fish Story" from the dreamgear. in space!
131. Howling Killer -  Dragon Co. Lion King hack. not sure if its 3 or 5 or what
132. Sunken Ship -  Titanic as released by Nanjing
133. Frantic Fishing -  oh its another fishing game
134. Colliding -  drive around a map, when you hit another car it switches to a sort of battle screen where you have to crash into each other
135. Sleuth - "Police Dog Lasy" with a different title screen
136. Eidolon's Revenge -  another Hammer & Nail rehash
137. Rushing Brothers -  "Escapeway" with different graphics
138. Wildworm -  on the dreamgear
139. Animalcontest -  sucks. this was on the D-Cat, you just compare random animals against the CPU
140. Cool Baby -  Spring World with different graphics
141. Cursed Pond -  Mirror Devil World, with a rabbit and stuff
142. Island (Nature Clan: Island) -  on the dreamgear
143. Rabbits Crisis -  "Rabbit Village" with a different title screen
144. Space Base -  on the dreamgear
145. Extreme Rally -  split screen racing game, no sound for some reason
146. Busy Bar -  serve the right drinks to the various animals
147. Aether Copter -  this feels Intellivisiony. single screen shooter
148. Little Witch -  weird shooter type game
149. Golden Bird -  rescue birds from cages around the screen
150. Corsair -  oh i dunno whats going on here.
151. Interstellar -  shooter, kind of like Gyruss or something
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:24:58 PM by taizou »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »
I might be wrong but as far as I can tell, Corsair looks like a turn-based version of Overboard! for the PS1. Doesn't look anywhere near as fun though. :P

And I think Sea Monster is based off Space Armada or whatever it's called, which in itself is a Space Invaders clone.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
Well i just tried playing Corsair for more than five seconds lol. I guess its a bit like Overboard, as far as they both have boats in and you have to shoot other boats. but yeah it is turn based, you can either move one square or shoot in each turn. the enemy boats just chase after you and you lose a life if they touch you.

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »
The game 80 is nothing more than a rehash of "Fling Ball" from the dream gear. I wonder if there's a football-themed version of this out there game since the objective is basically shooting balls pass the goalie.
The girl from Beach Volley is stolen from the Love Hina anime O_o
Probably not important, but the multicolor things with eyes in the title screen of "Hallihoo" look exactly like the pieces used in "News", an obscure Korean arcade game which itself probably stole those graphics from some other game.
Finally, have you guys realized that if you change the word "aether" to "space", suddenly all these game names have sense? :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:08:09 PM by Ninja-Kun »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »
Ninja-Kun
Jul 6 2011, 07:23:35 PM
Probably not important, but the multicolor things with eyes in the title screen of "Hallihoo" look exactly like the pieces used in "News", an obscure Korean arcade game which itself probably stole those graphics from some other game.[/quote]theyre from Puyo Puyo originally, there's a few on the title screen of Agile Mice too.
Ninja-Kun

Finally, have you guys realized that if you change the word "aether" to "space", suddenly all these game names have sense? :P[/quote]
yeah, i noticed that. :D that must have been what they were going for.
oh i noticed something weird on the box - you know how some of the games are listed with the wrong names on the menu? well title screens for a few of those wrong games actually appear in the screenshots on the back (except Greedy, which has the same name but an entirely different title screen):

only Kong King has a gameplay screenshot, but its clearly the same game as Forest Kid, just with different graphics. so I guess all those wrong names were actually alternate versions of the same games, and for some reason they either switched them out at the last minute or whoever was compiling the thing just included the wrong versions.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:48:06 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »
"Lemon Brat" would make a great name for a rock band. And yes, that is a blatant hack of "Thin Ice" for Intellivision.
Also, a lot of these use fonts from DeluxePaint, for some reason. I used that program way too much as a kid... I probably ought to create a Wiki entry for it, given how often it gets used in bootleg and legit games alike...
"Girl" is also known as "Way Out". There is fan art of that character on the title screen from one Japanese bootleg game collector. I am seriously not making this up-- witness Wayko-san and Ouko-chan.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:14:02 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
hey you're not the first to think Nice Code game titles would make good band names. :D http://kids.mywoot.net/past/details.php?id=6

i'm amazed they still use Deluxe Paint - these were made in, what, 2006?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »
Hah, yes, "Devildom Doom" would also make a great band name.

On another note, "Jig Chick" is interesting because that one's also been released in a VT168 version by... JungleTac! Granted, we already knew that Nice Code developed some games for Jungle, but still, I haven't ever seen it so blatant.
"Puppet Show" is "Fling Ball" on the DreamGear 75.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:33:11 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 11:33:39 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that - I've been trying to get hold of this one Jungletac handheld with that game on it among others but it's proving pretty damned elusive.
also i'm thinking the title screen of Curly Monkey 2 might be stolen from somewhere, if only because the monkey on the title screen bears pretty much no resemblance to the in-game sprite.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:36:58 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 11:38:53 PM »
I love how on "Dominoes", they spell it right and wrong on the same title screen.
I know I've seen the characters from the second "Enchanter" and from "Invincible Girl" before, but I cannot place them for the life of me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:40:09 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 11:49:51 PM »
yeah, Invincible Girl does look familiar, now you mention it. not sure about Enchanter (2)'s main character but the enemies certainly ring a bell.

oh and that console that i just said was "pretty damned elusive", i just realised the distributor i just linked to sells it on their own damn website and they do international shipping. i'm smart.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 12:07:49 AM »
Interesting that Metro Mania is still credited to "Power Joy Ltd." Connections between Trump Grand and Qi Sheng Long?

Edit: Same for Lightning, too, for that matter. And a whole bunch of other games in the latter half.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:13:14 AM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overmax 151 in 1
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 12:24:38 AM »
I think its probably Nice Code being lazy/forgetting to take the copyrights out more than anything else. There's a screenshot of Twin Fish on their own site with a Power Joy copyright in it.