Author Topic: Question about how to dump a GB and GBA physical cartridge  (Read 975 times)

Kirdevoir

• View Profile
Question about how to dump a GB and GBA physical cartridge
« on: December 04, 2023, 09:36:27 AM »
Hello, sorry if this is discussed in another thread, but I'm going crazy looking for information and I can't find anything.

I recently bought a GBA cartridge with a 118 in 1 multirom in which it seems that the first three games are GBA games and I think the rest of the games are NES bootleg (PocketNES as far as I understand). I have tried GBA Backup Tool for Nintendo DS trying to extract the ROM, just as I have used FlashGBX, but I always get the same result: I can get the ROM menu where only the first game (Pokémon) works but the rest cannot be played.

On the other hand, I have a 34 in 1 Game Boy game (although it says Advance on the sticker, it is for Game Boy Color) that I don't know how I can extract it either, I have also tried using FlashGBX where I can only extract the menu from the ROM but no game works.

I am attaching the failed ROMs and photos of the cartridges so you can see what they are (the GBA version is too big). How can I extract both ROMs from these physical games? Thank you very much, and sorry for my bad English.

Vikograd

• :)
    • View Profile
Re: Question about how to dump a GB and GBA physical cartridge
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 04:49:53 PM »
Bump.

I'm actually also interested in is. I've had the gbxcard in the back of my mind for a long time so knowing if it is possible to dump my multicarts with it would be helpful. C:

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Question about how to dump a GB and GBA physical cartridge
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 05:21:43 PM »
Sometimes with multicarts it's as easy as just doing an overdump (manually setting the ROM size to something large, like 4 mb for GBC games) of the multi, then looking through it with a hex editor to find where each individual ROM is. You won't be able to get the game to boot off of the multicart menu when emulating it, but you can extract individual ROMs pretty often

Also, always dump ROMs twice and check that you get identical dumps with a program like winmerge. That way you can be sure it dumped properly
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 05:32:02 PM by Ankos »