Author Topic: GBS Rips  (Read 1995 times)

forple

• View Profile
GBS Rips
« on: January 13, 2023, 02:40:02 PM »
I know a lot of people enjoy the soundtracks to some of these games, and are often looking for GBS rips of them. I've decided to make a dedicated thread for this, since most of the time, GBS rips (of unlicensed/bootleg games) are lumped in as a small segment of most usual licensed GBS rips, as well as just generally being scattered around.

I would post "The Ultimate Bootleg GBS Collection" or something like that, except I won't because I haven't collected many GBS rips. But I can post the rips I've made recently, which haven't been shared anywhere other than getting totally buried in the Discord server. There's some more rips others may have heard me talk about, but they're unfinished, so I won't post them since they're buggy or broken as of now.

The rips I've made myself are the following:
- VF's Devil Island (also known as Lord of the Rings)
- Sheng Shou Wu Yu
- Soul Falchion
- Street Fighter 2001 Alpha
- Super Fighters S
(These can be downloaded via the attachment on this post)

Anyone else is welcome to post their rips, or rips they've found scattered around. Or even post updates/fixes to other GBS rips.

--

By the way, Super Fighters S was an interesting rip. It wasn't emulated in hhugboy or other emulators at all due to the copy protection. I had to take my own copy's dump. and find where the audio page was. To my surprise it was extremely easy, since it was just a simple music hack of the original KOF '96 sound driver. Which meant I was able to re-use header settings from the KOF '96 GBS rip. Definitely easier than "Kouji Murata's Mega Man V driver but the bytes are shifted around a bit", I'll just say that.

forple

• View Profile
Re: GBS Rips
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 07:38:50 PM »
I've had this rip mostly done for now, but it has a few extremely minor issues the average person might not notice. I managed to rip Digimon Crystal 3 (the Vast Fame one). Wasn't too hard since the driver was exactly the same as it appeared in Vast Fame's other RPG titles (in this particular case it was pretty much on par with the original Mega Man V variant too).

Apparently I've heard some emulators don't like playing this particular GBS rip, but it works in all the ones I've tried it with. Not sure what's up with that. If anyone else experiences issues please let me know. I've attached the file to this post.

---

I'm also currently working on this rip of Binary Monster 2, but my lack of familiarity with the driver and its data is showing. The driver seems to mostly be a direct rip from the GB Castlevania 2, but with new songs and the like. However it's seemingly not easily just a "append the original game's GBS header to the data" deal. Kind of a shame, the soundtrack is quite nice. However the current WIP rip has songs from... other Gowin titles in it, so I suppose I found some unused song data by sheer accident? I'll have to look at this rip further, maybe with a debugger and a couple other tools.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 07:44:40 PM by forple »

Sink Penol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 09:41:59 AM »
It's been years to login this forum.

Nice work on Vast Fame GBSes! :) (Soul Falchion is a duplicate, though.)
I wonder if Shui Hu Shen Shou / Xing Feng Shen Bang's GBS are available later.
Favorite Bootleg Games
* Vast Fame RPGS(Shi Kong Xing Shou, Shui Hu Shen Shou, Xin Feng Shen Bang)
(Unofficial Walkthroughs are on hold)

forple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 11:21:34 PM »
Hmm, interesting. I didn't know that Soul Falchion got ripped already. I assumed that since there wasn't one for Super Fighter 2001 Alpha that the same happened for Soul Falchion.

Shui Hu Shen Shou (SHSS) got ripped already. I don't know who made the rip (Karmic?), but I don't recall doing it myself. I've attached that rip to this post so that you (and anyone else interested) can download and listen to it.

Xing Fen Shen Bang is kind of an annoying rip. Half the songs in my current WIP rip don't work. I can't explain why. I need to look into it more.

By the way, I managed to rip Digimon Adventure Pocket into a GBS. Special thanks goes to Ankos for making a dump of the game that I was able to rip from, but from what I heard that dump has bugs in emulators (busted copy protection?). The GBS rip sounds fine, at least to me, though.

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 11:58:00 PM »
By the way, I managed to rip Digimon Adventure Pocket into a GBS. Special thanks goes to Ankos for making a dump of the game that I was able to rip from, but from what I heard that dump has bugs in emulators (busted copy protection?). The GBS rip sounds fine, at least to me, though.

Yes, that is the going theory. I sent the ROM to someone more knowledgeable on emulation, so that maybe one day it can be released and emulated without a bunch of bugs. As is it crashes whenever a Digimon faints in battle, so I decided to delist it

forple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 01:17:37 PM »
Not my GBS, but rather someone else's (DevEd's). Posting it here because I'm pretty certain this isn't as widespread as the other GBS rips out there, and it nicely rounds off pretty much all of the GBC Vast Fame fighters.

The game in question is Queen Fighter 2000/Queen of Fighting 2000. I want to give special mention to GBS Track 2 being similar to Smooth Criminal, or several other tracks being outright re-used for VF's RPGs.

Sink Penol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 10:43:13 AM »
forple // Thank you for sharing SHSS and Queen of Fighting GBSes.
Well, I wonder which version of XFSB ROM file trying to rip - Raw dump or header fixed version?
Favorite Bootleg Games

forple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 02:32:52 PM »
It's the fixed header version. I don't know why that would matter, since the header doesn't really affect GBSes, (they contain just the sound data) but I can always give the raw dump a try.

Sink Penol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2023, 07:49:49 PM »
forple // Understood. I asked that because I don't know much about dumping Gameboy roms.
Favorite Bootleg Games

forple

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 12:34:46 AM »
Out of curiosity I did try that header fixed one. Either it was pure coincidence because of my improved ripping skills, or the ROM actually did make a difference, I got ...two more songs working in my WIP XFSB rip. Still don't know what's going on with the other few. I'm not going to throw in the towel, but I am going to put it on the backburner. I've attached this incomplete rip to the post just so you guys can see what I have so far.