Author Topic: Ankos' Games  (Read 5979 times)

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Ankos' Games
« on: November 11, 2022, 02:01:35 AM »
So a while back I had a thread of this same name going where I would post ROMs for games and ROM hacks made in China and Taiwan. I took down that thread because early on I was not super knowledgeable about checking them and had some concerns that they might not work right. Some of those I think got reuploaded elsewhere but I am going to be posting what I've got here. These will be raw dumps so you might need a specific emulator to make them work. To start things off, here is seven Sintax games. These include a couple of reskins of their Castlevania title (口袋妖怪绿宝石 and 魔戒战士传说), a couple of German versions of Sintax games that are already preserved (2003 Digital Drachen Blaudiamond and Yinyang Drachen), a Sintax game that is already preserved but with a different title screen (Digit Dinosaur 7 The adventure of devildom), a reskin of BBD's Digimon Adventure 2001 (新石器时代), and a reskin of Zook Hero 3 that kept things like the level select in tact (新疯狂啊给泡泡堂)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 01:26:53 AM by Ankos »

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Ankos' Games
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 12:56:25 AM »
Here's some stuff I ripped from Ka Sheng (Makon's primary publisher) carts. The English versions of games I am posting now include Pokemon Pearl, and Pokemon Gold 2. Pokemon Gold 2 I extracted from a multicart with the ID code UA2088.

Another game I ripped off of that multi is the Pokemon Gold translation that credits Pikachu INC. A while ago I ripped this same game from a JY cart but I trimmed that one wrong because I was inexperienced, so if you have a ROM for this that is slightly larger than the one I am posting here, then you should probably get rid of it.

The Chinese versions of games I am posting now include Pokemon Jade, Pokemon Diamond, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Sapphire, and Digimon Pocket. Digimon Pocket I extracted from a multicart with the ID CA64061.

I am also including the English version of Digimon Crystal 3 which I extracted from a friend's multicart. That game is oddly larger than Makon's other games

Edit: I should probably clarify that the Pokemon Gold translation is not by Makon Soft. I just included it here because it was released by the same publisher
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 11:35:23 PM by Ankos »

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 01:50:07 AM »
Here's four more quick ones. These are Kongfeng releases of Makon titles. These have no copy protection so that's cool. It is worth noting that these may have variation from the original Ka Sheng releases of these in terms of gameplay. Some of these may be dumped elsewhere. I'm never 100% sure I'm the first to preserve anything. Anyways here are the Kongfeng releases of Digimon 02 4, Digimon 02 5, Digimon Crystal 3, and Digimon Diamond. Kongfeng only did Chinese releases so instead of ending the file names with ENG or CN I decided to end them with KF. Kongfeng sometimes released multiple versions of a game but I'm not sure if they did this with Makon titles
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 11:35:34 PM by Ankos »

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 03:01:32 AM »
This one isn't something I dumped but instead a modification I made of someone else's ROM. A while ago a user on here called Robyn posted a video where she used a ROM corrupter to cause CBA089 (a Li Cheng rerelease of a weird version of Devil Land by Vast Fame that Kongfeng put out) to boot in English. What seems to have happened was that the game's ROM contained both the English and Chinese versions of the game and the ROM corrupter flipped the switch to make it boot in English. Unfortunately using the ROM corrupter introduced other changes to the game making it mostly unplayable. Eventually I figured out where the switch for the language is in the game, so i flipped that without tampering with anything else and got the English version to work without introducing the problems the corrupter introduced. Here is the ROM for that. Credit goes to taizou who dumped this game originally and Robyn who noticed that this was even possible to begin with. I used the fixed version of the game taizou posted on his website, hhug.me

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 01:25:06 AM »
Here are four games by BBD. Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves 2001 is the English release of Garou Mark of the Wolves 2001 which is already dumped. 格鬥七龍球 2002 is already dumped but as far as original releases go I think only the Sintax release is out there. This is the BBD release. King of Fighters R2 is a game by SKOB developed by BBD, but they do not appear to have changed the copy protection type before releasing it, so if you use an emulator that supports BBD games then you should be able to run this provided you have the correct settings. There are deprotected title hacks of this out there, but this is the original version. Finally there is Startled 911. This is an altered version of a Metal Slug game BBD previously released. This one was made in very poor taste. Oddly this is not the only bootleg Metal Slug game themed around this subject matter as Hitek released the much more well known Terrifying 911

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 02:19:36 AM »
Here are three games Li Cheng reprinted. These are not the original forms of these games and may have bugs not found in their original releases. 十面埋伏-天龍篇 and 十面埋伏-英雄篇 are RPGs developed by Tian Cai Xiao Zi which were originally published by Kongfeng. 洛克人 DX8 is a reprint of the English release of Zook Z by Vast Fame. 洛克人 DX8 is confirmed to have bugs which cause crashes that do not occur on the original cartridge. 新数码宝贝黄 is a Chinese translation of Pokemon Yellow that changes the sprites for Pikachu

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 03:58:43 AM »
Here are five more miscellaneous games. 口袋怪兽-翡翠版 is the only one of these to have any sort of special copy protection, so you'll need an emulator capable of running the original versions of the pirate translations of Telefang to run this. It is a translation of the Speed version of the first Telefang game. The Pokemon Green pirate translation has been floating around for a long time, but the ROMs for that have a different title screen from this one. I extracted this from a multicart shipped out of Thailand. Digital Monster 2001 is another game I extracted from a multicart. It is a basic hack of the game Primal Rage. 英漢字典 is an English to Chinese translation dictionary I found backed up to a flashcart I bought used. While though I believe my backup of the flashcart was done properly I do not know if the previous owner backed up this properly so you may want to take this one with a grain of salt. Finally there is 新女神轉生外傳-最後的聖經. This is a Chinese translation of the monochrome version of the first Last Bible game

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 01:34:06 PM »
Would you be able to post the full multicart ROMs, or is it a case where they were incomplete dumps or something? I'm really impressed with the dumps here though, almost all of these I have never seen at all.

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 05:20:50 PM »
Most of these multis are too large for my dumper to dump the entire ROMs at once unfortunately. I don't think any of these multis have menus that work in emulators at the moment though, so you'd need to extract individual ROMs from them to get something playable

crazyboy92mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 09:19:43 PM »
I have tested the ROM of the properly dumped version of Pokemon Gold (Pikachu Inc. translation) on bgb 1.12 and it works great along with the English Title Screen version of Pokemon Green (pirate translation).

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 12:43:15 AM »
Here are three games that are tied to Vast Fame. Harry Potter 3 神奇の光輪 and 格斗剑神 were published by Vast Fame's Mainland China publisher Kongfeng. Kongfeng often had multiple print runs of the games they published which use different copy protection types. 格斗剑神 uses what is listed as Vast Fame (SL releases) in hhugboy while Harry Potter 3 神奇の光輪 has no copy protection and can be used in any Gameboy emulator. 口袋怪獸 大集合 is a hack of Telefang Speed Version that replaces the denjuu with Pokemon. Back when I had first published this years ago there was no way to emulate the raw dump, but a user on Tulunk Village was able to make a patch that made it work in any emulator. Now this game's copy protection is figured out, so I will just be releasing a raw dump of this. It uses what is called Vast Fame (KongFeng/other releases) in hhugboy

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 01:06:00 AM »
This is the last batch of games I plan on releasing for a while. 魔法球 and Prince Yeh Rude are raw dumps of Gowin games. Gowin would put an intro segment of some of their games which would be follwed by the actual game segment. In the case of these two the games work in emulators if you trim off the intro segment, which is what I did here. Top Secret is a bit more interesting. If you are aware of the history of Gowin then you may have heard that they purchased the rights to many of their earlier releases from people who later would work at Vast Fame instead of making these games in house. Early builds of these titles appear on some of Vast Fame's multicarts. What is interesting is that these games saw finished versions which were released by different publishers prior to being released by Gowin. Top Secret is the version of Losing Trip (迷途の旅) that Songtly and Jumbo released prior to Gowin releasing their version. Finally there is Binary Monster 2. This one I extracted from a multicart from Thailand that had the ID code HTG-2501. On cart this plays the usual intro sequence the original Gowin release of this features, but the text is altered to say Howin instead of Gowin. The title screen has been modified to say Digimon instead of Binary Monster 2. The multicart manufacturer appears to have used the English version of this game as a base for this hack. Attempting to play it on a monochrome machine such as a Gameboy Pocket causes bugs to occur which disable floor collision. The raw dump of this loses most of its visuals when run as a Gameboy Color game. Running it as a monochrome game restores the visuals and does not cause the floor collision bug seen on cart. A fellow user on this site by the name of yy小龙虾 was able to re-enable the color pallet in the game's code. This gives proper visuals like how this game appears on cart but it also makes the floor collision bug occur if you attempt to run it as a monochrome game. I have decided to include both the color re-enabled version as well as the raw dump

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 12:13:03 AM »
Here are some pictures of the cartridges I have uploaded games from. These are the Sintax carts. The grey cart in the bottom left is a Taiwanese cart. These use generic grey shells. You may have noticed that it appears to have different pictures at the edges of the sticker. These may be pictures from other Sintax games that got left on this one due to a manufacturing error. The other three on the bottom row use Sintax's unique shell and are the type of carts Sintax sold in Mainland China. On the top left is an English language cart. Oddly this uses a grey shell. Most Sintax games sold outside of Taiwan do not use these, but as with all unlicensed Gameboy companies there are always exceptions to the rules when it comes to cartridge shells. The remaining two carts are German language carts. The top middle cart has a sticker identical to that of the English version of this game. I'm not sure if this was an error or if all German copies of this look like that

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2022, 12:14:03 AM »
These are the Makon carts manufactured by Ka Sheng. If you look closely at the arrow embedded into the plastic on Pokemon Pearl it looks different from what the arrows on normal Gameboy shells look like. This is what I call a double arrow cart. These tend to pop up around Thailand (though I shipped this game out of Germany). If you look at the metallic contacts you'll see that there are gaps in the plastic that expose the circuit board to air. I have included a picture of these gaps. These appear in all double arrow carts

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2022, 12:15:07 AM »
These are Kongfeng releases of Makon games. I don't have much interesting to say about these