Author Topic: Games of Unknown Origin  (Read 2926 times)

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Games of Unknown Origin
« on: April 23, 2020, 07:57:28 PM »
Recently I have been wondering where the "Emo Demo" game by Sintax came from. I know it is a demo for their Castlevania clone, but I don't remember ever seeing any demo carts for any Bootleg/Unlicensed games. That got me thinking that a thread for asking where some of these old pirate game ROMs came from could be a fun idea. I decided to put this in Pirate talk since there are probably a lot of games that people do not know the origin of for consoles that are not Gameboys.

Note: Yes, I am aware that Taizou once mentioned that the demo likely was made to show off to potential business partners. I am just using it as an example because much of its origin is still pretty mysterious (like whether or not a cart of it exists, what the cart looks like if it does exist, and whether or not more Sintax demo games exist)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:16:47 AM by 瓜瓜龍 »

guyzis

Re: Games of Unknown Origin
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 08:18:16 PM »
What about that english Dragon Ball Z 5 rom that I posted AGES ago? I'd still like to know about it. I think the post got lost into nothingness, but in my profile page, the attachment should still be there, I hope.

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 06:09:13 PM »
The English text was always in the ROM data, so it comes from Rex Soft themselvers.

Or are you asking who made the hack that added the language selection menu? The answer to that question is indeed unknown.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 02:06:41 PM »
Apologies for bumping a pretty old thread. I used to own a cartridge of this (purchased from Taobao) and sold it. It was the same as the common ROM.
Sadly, I don't really have any images of it anymore apart from the one from when I was selling it. If I remember correctly it was a blue translucent shell just like my copy of KOF99/Super Fighters S with a small PCB.

I've attached the ROM I dumped from it before selling, please note too that the dump is identical to the common dump called "Castlevania EMO Demo (Unl) [C].gbc"

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 12:22:17 AM »
I think I've seen some other games that were released in packaging that looked like that. If I remember right one of them was Digimon Crystal II by Sintax