Author Topic: SNES in bootleg-y territories  (Read 3753 times)

Chonk-Man

• View Profile
SNES in bootleg-y territories
« on: December 25, 2019, 06:28:40 PM »
one thing that I would like to know (witch might be stupid in the long run)
was the SNES/SFC released in places like Taiwan and Russia or any other places were pirate games are commonly made?

I know this might be a really stupid question.

guyzis

Re: SNES in bootleg-y territories
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »
Woa, new avatar! I googled it up and nah, it wasn't. If the games were produced there, must've been 'cuz of 'sum fake SNES, like the Dendy.

Chonk-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 08:26:00 PM »
Ah, that makes sense
I have been searching for something like that but i can't find one
if there is it might not have been documented

(also my avatar is from "Super Bros. 8")

guyzis

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 10:10:35 AM »
Makes sense. And yeah, i already know where your avatar's from. I googled up "In what countries was the SNES released?" and found it.

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »
Officially, the SNES did officially get released in Russia (by Steepler Ltd.), South Korea (by Hyundai) and Brazil (by Playtonic).

Taiwan and the rest of South America must've gotten the SNES/SFC albeit unofficially, as SNES bootleg games and hacks were developed and even released in those areas. Taiwanese clones of the SNES did exist pre-2001 but they seem to be really rare. (I'm aware there was a Micro Genius SNES clone.) The biggest issue might've been the CIC was in both the SFC and the SNES and it took until around I believe 1996 or 1997 to even clone it. (As SNES bootlegs seem to have emerged during this time. However, I could be very wrong on this.) On top of this, the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis was much easier to clone earlier on so it was the go-to 16-bit console of choice. Even by the time the SNES could be cloned, the market for SMD/Genesis games in those areas was already falling out.

guyzis

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 02:29:35 PM »
Sorry for being wrong, sir! But hey, i got right the part that it wasn't released officially in Taiwan. Frankly i never knew that Steepler would actually get the license to release it in Russia, considering it was the same Steepler who created the Dendy. Shouldn't've Nintendo lawsuit Steepler due to producing unauthorized NES copies instead of handing over the license? It was because of Nintendo that the brazilian famiclones (alà Polystation) simply *vanished* from the market.

PacoCif

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 08:56:03 PM »
Hi, how are you? I am pacocif and I see that they talk about the topic of Super Nintendo in different parts. Well to clarify things, they are very wrong. The Super Famicom in Taiwan was officially launched by the “Nintendo Phuten” branch that has already been in charge of distributing Nintendo products.  Taiwan until I lock up their doors until 2016, Nintendo HongKong currently distributes them to this country, the Super Nintendo also officially arrived by Mani limited and initially used the region as in Africa, its distribution was carried out by local distributors under the supervision of Nintendo Europe  In countries like Mexico and the rest of Latin America, with the distribution of Citochu, there was a branch of the Japanese company and, being an American region, it had the design and name of Super Nintendo.

guyzis

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 06:28:05 PM »
Wait, what? Where'd you find that info? In Wikipedia? By the way, welcome to the forums.