Author Topic: Bizarre version of Dragon Ball by Rex Soft  (Read 3401 times)

guyzis

Bizarre version of Dragon Ball by Rex Soft
« on: September 27, 2019, 12:14:03 AM »
Can someone verify this for me? I have a suspicious-looking dump of Dragon Ball Z 5: Super Butouden by Rex Soft. It has a trainer to it: you can select english or chinese, thing that is unavailable in the current dump (is this information correct?). Can someone please compare this with the most common dumps of DBZ5 to see?

Ironically, i have two dumps of DBZ5: one of what i think is the "common" dump, and this "bizarre" one. I'm wild guessing that the common one is a fork of the bizarre, since i've found CHR tiles for the english terms.

Here's a zip file containing the bizarre:

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
Re: Bizarre version of Dragon Ball by Rex Soft
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 08:23:01 AM »
It is a ROM hack.

The actual game cartridge has a solder pad on its circuit board. That solder pad is read by the game code to select between Chinese and English text. Current emulators allow you to set the solder pad via a menu (NintendulatorNRS) or change the setting on each soft reset (FCEUX). Older emulators did not allow either. This prompted some unknown hacker to hack this menu into the game ROM. It is badly coded: it displays text as sprites, but ignores that a real NES will only show 8 sprites per scanline. That is why the screen looks broken on accurate emulators.

guyzis

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:37:04 AM »
Oops  :P my bad. Sorry! Thanks anyway

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:57:19 AM »
Also, your .zip file is corrupt, having multiple byte order marks before the actual PK zip header.

guyzis

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
How odd. I'll post the stand alone rom. See if it works. But i don't know what it happened. Can you please see? I think it's like that because the site i got this from says its a fixed dump.

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 12:34:26 PM »
It's what I described, a hack. "fixed" can mean anything, including modifying a ROM to run on a particular emulator.

guyzis

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 01:17:47 PM »
Okay. I don't understand this kind of stuff. Thank you very much.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 12:50:44 PM »
Now I'm wondering if there are actual cartridges with the English solder pad configuration. I don't think I've stumbled on any at this point.

guyzis

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »
MLX, that doesn't unmask the fact that the common dump has english text on it, saying the english one came FIRST.