Author Topic: Super Mario Bros 2 J (AKA Lost Levels) - Questions about various ROMs?  (Read 3859 times)

Doomkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/
I figured this would be one of the best places to ask about this. There are a whole bunch of ROMs of Super Mario Bros 2 J floating around out there, most of them are incomplete or otherwise messed up somehow. It's an absolute shitshow for someone trying to load a bunch of ROMs onto a flash cart!

The ROM that I originally came across was called "Super Mario Bros 2 (Lost Levels) (Unl).nes". At a glance it looks like a common pirate version - The title screen is removed, but after 10 minutes of playing, you won't notice much difference. However, I tried selecting Luigi, and it's just a palette swap of Mario - Even the name still says Mario above the score, there are no higher jumps like Luigi is supposed to have.

Luckily I found an IPS patch for this particular ROM here: http://www.lngn.net/stuff/ It seems to fix most of the issues and bring back proper functionality with Luigi, the wind physics and several other things. It even adds the ability to select world/level on the title screen by pressing A and B. Very useful considering how difficult this game is! There's just one flaw, it's acceptable, but still annoying: The Score/Lives/Timer part of the screen are slightly garbled. Still legible, but the graphics are constantly sort of moving and glitching around in a somewhat distracting way..

I turns out, the only proper patched version of SMB2 was edited by a guy named Loopy, and can be found here: https://3dscapture.com/NES/ This is as close as you can possibly get to a 1:1 recreation of the FDS version, just in NES format. However, this one lacks the wonderful little level select feature! (as it should, considering it aims to be a faithful NES port of the FDS original.)

The point of this ramble is that I would love a version that has everything working right in NES format (as loopy's edited version does) but also incorporates the level select feature, which allows you to select worlds 9, A, B, C and D.

Can anyone lead me to any IPS patches or otherwise that implement this change into loopy's version? Everything I find when I attempt to search for it has to do with Game Genie codes and whatnot.

This is basically just me being picky and wanting a version of SMB2 J that works 100% perfectly in NES format but also has that level select feature and doesn't have those irritating garbled graphics at the top. It appears RetroUSB used to sell a reproduction cart that is exactly what I describe, but it hasn't been sold or produced for quite some time. I actually have an awesome SMB2 J repro for my NES, fully functional, well built, very satisfied with it as a standalone cart but again this is unfortunately the version without the built-in level select.

I have already devoted far too many hours to trying to dig up what I describe, and hell, it may not exist. To muddy the waters even further, in the patched version with the level select, the garbled graphics do not show up in FCEUX, just on my EverDrive cart. The ROM refuses to even load in Nestopia. I know the EverDrive cart can't be the problem, as loopy's 1:1 version works flawlessly in the same cart.

If you guys have any tips for me, that would be swell.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:07:20 AM by Doomkid »

JazzMartian

Re: Super Mario Bros 2 J (AKA Lost Levels) - Questions about various ROMs?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 05:33:56 AM »
I salute you in your hunt for the rare. The specific. I think I might be able to help. This one's a pretty rare hack of the RetroUSB/RetroZone version. It was (as all of ShaneM's hacks have been) aimed to fix all known bugs. I haven't played through it extensively, but can tell you it has a nice title screen, the level select option, and no screen garble.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sbuwskv7tx84klb/

Edit: I don't think this is based off of an actual RetroUSB dump of the cart, but rather Loopy's RetroUSB hack. Something like that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:17:03 AM by JazzMartian »

Doomkid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 10:22:53 AM »
Thanks so much for posting this rom, I really appreciate it!

I just gave it a spin in fceux and it has screen garble at the top as I run, but a totally different type of screen garble than the other version has on the EverDrive cart. I'll test it in the cart and see how it goes. Either way, this rom is definitely distinct from all the other ones I have, so the collection expands.. Thanks again  ;D

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:31:02 AM »
The RetroUSB cartridge is a lame reproduction based on the Kaiser port. The castle clear flag was modified to show the Kaiser logo and stays as so on the reproduction. Hence this repro will have the same flaws as the Kaiser port: no upwards red plants (or green acting like reds) in 4-1+ and no proper ending music.

Loopy's port is the only faithful which is beatable. The Super Mario Family 10-in-1 as well as JY-097 and CK-124 also have a good port that unfortunately crash on 4-4 due to oversights during the multicart conversion.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:32:40 AM by MLX »

Doomkid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 12:13:34 PM »
Thank you for the clarification, MLX. Loopy's rom was the only one where I got flawless play on FCEUX and the EverDrive cart, which is not surprising.  I can live without the level select - it's nice for not having to play the whole game in one sitting, but it's not worth sacrificing functionality.