Author Topic: The Super A'can thread  (Read 3775 times)

Barver

• View Profile
The Super A'can thread
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:30:07 AM »
I'm continuously hunting down any information I can about this system, mostly unreleased games. I'll post here when I have new info to share. Since All pirates are made primarily in Taiwan, I know many here must care somewhat about this system =p

First, here's the previous list, if anyone might remember, of confirmed unreleased titles with rough unofficial translations:

地心歷險(Journey to the Center of the Earth) A-RPG 台軟科技(Tai Ruan Technology)
貓球防衛隊(Cat Ball Defense Team) STG 鉅崴科技(AV artisan)
鳥籠院(Birdcage Yard) ACT 敦煌科技(Funtech)
雷霆機動隊(Lightning Mobile Unit) STG 弘煜科技專業(Fun Yours Entertainment)
恐龍戰記 SLG 敦煌科技股份(Funtech)
阿Q連環炮(A Q Lian Huan Pao) ETC 全崴資訊股份(C&E)
暴走族之戀(Romance of B_s_zoku) SPG 敦煌科技股份(Funtech)
王八妹(Woman Guerrillero) STG 鉅崴科技(AV artisan)
英雄戰記(Hero Saga) RPG 漢堂國際資訊(Dyansty International Information Co.)
快樂動物園(Happy Zoo) ETC 石將電腦(Stone General Computer)
惡魔島(Demon Island) ACT 傑克豆資訊(Jackbean Information Co.?)

At the moment here's what's new. I got a magazine today that covers the A'can(I mentioned this in the finds thread), and it has pics of some of the unreleased games. I don't have a scanner but I'll try to scan it eventually somehow. Kinko's or something maybe? I might be heading down there soon anyways so I'll bring it along.

Anyways, I've now got a couple pics of 鳥籠院(which appears to be based off of a manga, and is a comedy fighter or something, goofy animation etc..), one of 恐龍戰記(very plain, just an overhead map), and a shot of some bike racing game. Plus some more shots of 地心歷險(which the magazine calls 地心歷險記, adding the one character).

Son of Evil is listed as 邪神之子, instead of its final title 邪惡之子. Possibly a mistake by them.

In contrast to the above, there's pics of trading show event of some kind for the A'can that shows a booth for Son of Evil, and the logo clearly says 邪惡之子. Must be the magazines mistake.

More interesting for everyone, since it's an actual scan, is that I found out a magazine from the mainland was apparently previewing and advertising the A'can all throughout the year 1996. They apparently covered up to 30 games too. I'm going to try to acquire all 1996 issues, though it will probably cost a bit, so won't happen anytime soon unless someone wants to help(lol). I happened to find that someone did make a scan of one add in an issue, and it has some of the same exact shots that my magazine I got today has.

I wish I had it in better quality. I went to the blog advertised there and I see no trace of the guy having even scanned this, so I don't know if there's more or not.

I've found some people claiming that they played 鳥籠院(which btw is those two screenshots in the bottom left corner of the combat and fighting section above). The A'can was released in mainland China in 2006 apparently, some months after it was released in 1995 in Taiwan. Maybe it got an exclusive release over there? But then again, I talked to Tommy Xie, who was apparently the project leader, and he said it never was released. It's probably people's memory's going bad, since I even saw one guy claiming he played Final Fantasy 6 on A'can  :lol:  I'm still trying to ask some forums if they can confirm anything.

The price of the system when it was sold in the mainland was 1000RMB about. Or exact. I forgot heh.

One guy had a small story to tell. There was one of those spine cards that came with the system to join a club of sorts. After a whole year, they call the guy and tell him  that due to some sort of tension between the companies in Taiwan and the mainland, that they were shutting down production and release of games. They offered to refund the whole system if he brought it to their company in Tian Lin, Shanghai(田林, 上海). He went and left it off there and returned home, Two days later a guy shows up to his door with the money. In an ironic twist, he used the money to buy a Saturn  :rolleyes:  Bettig it was just as dead the whole time he owned it. But I'm pretty surprised they were actually willing to refund a system that someone had owned for a full year.

That's all for now. It costs $44 to get all '96 issues of that magazine, FYI. That's not including shipping. Gonna be a bit till I can have enough together.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:47:34 AM by Barver »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
The Super A'can thread
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 01:07:05 AM »
ah thats interesting, I didn't know the A'can was even released in mainland China (i guess you mean 1996 not 2006 btw ;D) - I always thought it was Taiwan only. do you know if the China version was PAL?

seems like a similar situation to the Gamate - as far as I know it was released in China really late (around '94?) but I don't think there were any China exclusive releases. all the games I've seen from China (which is, like, two, but still) were just Taiwanese stock with a mainland distributor's sticker on the box, although the console itself had a different Chinese name for some reason (超级神童 instead of 超級小子)

& good luck getting those magazines! :D I wish i could help, but I'm broke as usual ):

Barver

• View Profile
The Super A'can thread
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:54:21 AM »
There wasn't any details I found anywhere about the consoles release in China. I'd just assume like Gamate it was the exact same thing from Taiwan, maybe with a sticker slapped on.

I know this will sound ignorant, but does China primarily use PAL? If they can't use NTSC then they must have made some sort of change for the mainland release.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
The Super A'can thread
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 05:56:37 AM »
Barver
Mar 13 2011, 05:54:21 AM
I know this will sound ignorant, but does China primarily use PAL? If they can't use NTSC then they must have made some sort of change for the mainland release.[/quote]If I remember correctly, they use both for some odd reason. I know they use PAL, at least.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
The Super A'can thread
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:39:51 AM »
yeah, I was always under the impression that they use both, I'm not exactly sure though. PAL seems to be more common but apparently the PS2 released there was NTSC..

MLX

• View Profile
The Super A'can thread
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »
Wikipedia list China as a PAL-SECAM country. But they used NTSC too from what I understand (famiclones).

You may get some help from me but only a very low amount. I'm broke too...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:13:03 PM by MLX »

Barver

• View Profile
The Super A'can thread
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 11:39:21 PM »
Heh, no worries. I'll get the money myself eventually, though slowly. I don't even have a scanner so I'm not the most ideal person to even receive them if anyone else offered money to help.

On that note, there probably won't be any updates to this thread until I get them, unless I find more stuff. Maybe I started it too early =p

Barver

• View Profile
The Super A'can thread
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:47:18 AM »
Took this photo so may as well show it. One shot from 鳥籠院. Looks better zoomed out a bit.

Barver

• View Profile
The Super A'can thread
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:18:44 AM »
I got a hold of a digital camera for awhile and finally took some better pics of the magazine. Hopefully someone finds it interesting! I'm still trying to raise funds for all issues of the 1996 issues of that Chinese magazine btw =p

Only notable thing here is that the console has a colored A'can logo on it, while the final released one just was an imprint of the logo into the gray molding.
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8876/p1000716wi.jpg

Son of Evil stand at a convention :D Plus an odd rendition of the console is there too. Must have been an interesting convention.. You can also see the earlier color scheme for the controller.
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1021/p1000715wg.jpg

Pic of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" at the bottom left there. I noticed that the barrel-like thing the A'can is being displayed on top of appears in pics of the Funtech offices in that A'can magazine also.
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/848/p1000714i.jpg

Most notable here is two pics of an obvious Super Hang On rip-off. Plus a shot of 鳥籠.
http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/8380/p1000713.jpg

I recognize that guy from the A'can magazine also. Looks like a screen "showing off" that Taiwanese Baseball game. Boring.
http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/9199/acan2.jpg

Preview pics of upcoming games. You can see a couple unreleased things plus a pic of Rebel Star(叛星), which I'm not sure anyone has seen before or not.
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8779/p1000708w.jpg

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Super A'can thread
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 10:05:56 AM »
Old stuff, but I don't know how I didn't notice this: the developer of 惡魔島 is Jack Bean Information Co., which as I discovered in the PC game thread is credited on a couple PC games (and probably even more than that, that just haven't been discovered).

Wonder if it's related to VFame's Castlevania/Getsu Fuma Den knockoff of the same title, incidentally? From the art style in some of the game intros I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Bean had some Chuanpu art people working for them on the side.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:49:38 PM by codeman38 »