Author Topic: Subor D30 120-in-1  (Read 4100 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Subor D30 120-in-1
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »
I had linked this a while back in the thread on the Arcade Action 101, but I just discovered that there's even more to it:

YOU2HP's blog-playthrough of the Subor D30

This console is a VT03-based Famiclone by Waixing (natch), with a bunch of games that were licensed to them. Seems to be about an even distribution of Stuff Licensed From Nice Code and Stuff Licensed From Cube Tech, with a few leftovers from Inventor that filtered through one of the two devs.

The blog posts are all in Japanese, of course, but there are screenshots. Including a few Cube Tech games that I hadn't seen elsewhere, such as X-Ball, Water Fire, Cat Vs. Dog, and Underwater Rescue. Oh, yeah, and fan art for the little anime-styled girl in Way Out. (Seriously.)
Huh, something I actually learned from these posts, even via a bad Google translation: "assart" is an archaic word for digging up trees. Suddenly the title of that game makes much more sense.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:49:37 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Subor D30 120-in-1
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »
codeman38
Feb 27 2011, 03:46:35 PM
Huh, something I actually learned from these posts, even via a bad Google translation: "assart" is an archaic word for digging up trees. Suddenly the title of that game makes much more sense.[/quote]Obviously a failed attempt to look sophisticated on Nice Code's part, they do the same thing with words like "aether" and "eidolon".

Anyway, looking through those games myself:
- Cat Vs Dog looks suspiciously similar to one of JungleTac's games (I forget the name of it)
- Memory Test seems to have been made for VT-02 hardware, unlike the other games
- Silent Hunter sort of looks like a cross between Battlezone and Sub-Scan
- Burrow seems to be yet another Christmas-themed game
- Sur LC or whatever it's called seems to use an updated version of the Intellivision font
- Fireman is another clone of Flying Hero, and the level shown in the screenshots is ripped straight from that game, with the graphics updated
- Dune War is an update of another game of the same name by Nice Code
- Having 2 Nightstalker clones on one multicart is pointless
- The font for the "100" on the last screenshot in Ghost Palace is probably taken from another game (and is the same font that a 186-in-1 multicart uses, I think)
- The piece of cheese in Labyrinth is stolen from Tom & Jerry for the NES, I think
- Even after updating the graphics, Nice Code still can't spell "Balloon"
- This blogger is apparently obsessed with Way Out for some odd reason

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Subor D30 120-in-1
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
Cheetahmen
Feb 27 2011, 04:20:52 PM
Having 2 Nightstalker clones on one multicart is pointless[/quote]They've got a sprite hack of Burrow on there as well, called "Labyrinth".

Quote:

The font for the "100" on the last screenshot in Ghost Palace is probably taken from another game (and is the same font that a 186-in-1 multicart uses, I think)[/quote]I'm pretty sure it's from Bubble Bobble 2. As I commented on the Gunfighter video, that one is used all over the place in pirates, along with the font from Joe & Mac.

Edit: Just checked, and yep, that is totally the font from Bubble Bobble 2. Whose title is properly rendered as "Bubble Bobble Part 2", because there are like three games that all claim to be Bubble Bobble 2, heh.

Posted Image

I've also seen that font in several other Nice Code games, like Wonder Rabbit.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:18:51 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Subor D30 120-in-1
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 08:31:28 PM »
codeman38
Feb 27 2011, 08:04:28 PM
Cheetahmen
Feb 27 2011, 04:20:52 PM
Having 2 Nightstalker clones on one multicart is pointless[/quote]They've got a sprite hack of Burrow on there as well, called "Labyrinth".[/quote]Which are both hacks of Burrow Explorer. Way to be lazy, Nice Code.

codeman38

I'm pretty sure it's from Bubble Bobble 2. As I commented on the Gunfighter video, that one is used all over the place in pirates, along with the font from Joe & Mac.

Edit: Just checked, and yep, that is totally the font from Bubble Bobble 2. Whose title is properly rendered as "Bubble Bobble Part 2", because there are like three games that all claim to be Bubble Bobble 2, heh.[/quote]

Depends on what version you're playing. Given that pirate companies tend to use Japanese versions over anything else, I'd say Bubble Bobble 2 myself. :P

BTW, is it just me or are multicarts from the past couple of years much larger than those from before then? If there are really 120 games on that thing, it'd have to be at least 8Mb, I think.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Subor D30 120-in-1
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »
on a similarish note i came across a few random famicom carts on Ruten recently from the seller "cyuan_yi"..
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21003059488257
this one's by Subor & at first glance (based on the position of F22 and 110m Hurdles anyway) the lineup of games seems similar to this famiclone, but not entirely - it doesnt help that its all in Chinese but i'm sure i see Dragon Knife and Desert Storm among others which arent on this. and it seems like the last 10 games are repeats (i don't get that, why not just make it a 110 in 1? 110 is still a respectable number of games, you don't have to lie about it.)
i'm not sure if this cart will be for a VT03 famiclone like this one though, or if theyre all just the standard fami versions of the games..

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21003059486097
this one seems to have some of the same games on it too.

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21003059473150
Dunno about this one. its the same seller but i'm not sure what's on it - i'm not familiar enough with the Chinese names of standard famicom games, but I can definitely see The New Type/Dino Riki in there, so maybe its just a normal multi.