Author Topic: List of dumped and undumped HES and Codemasters games  (Read 3727 times)

Rocman X

• View Profile
List of dumped and undumped HES and Codemasters games
« on: March 11, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »
I apologize for bringing up this subject once again, but we need to be aware that there are still some undumped PAL unlicensed games, particularly HES and Codemasters releases. I left out Gluk Video because all their games (as far as I know) are now dumped.
So, I made a list of the unlicensed games, going by this list (http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/missing.php?preset=pal_all&title=&region=&class=&system=) as well as the profiles for the games that they do have, for the games that I know of that are published by HES and Codemasters. I have checked via my GoodNES set, as well as a fairly recent No-Intro set that I have, if they are dumped or not, and I have gone through all of those games. I also have found information online of a strange Micro Genius 3-in-1 multicart that was supposedly released in Italy as well as Asia, but only the Asian version is dumped. Here it is:

HES:

Arctic Adventure: Penguin & Seal - dumped
Chiller - dumped
Death Race - undumped
Duck Maze - dumped
F-15 City War - undumped
Funblaster Pak - dumped
Galactic Crusader - undumped
Impossible Mission II - undumped
International Ultimate League Soccer - unsure, possibly Ultimate League Soccer (AVE) (PAL) [!] in GoodNES? Or is that a different PAL version?
Krazy Kreatures - undumped
Maxi-15 Pack - dumped, but BootlegGamesWiki claims there's another version with Sachen games present that's undumped.
Mindblower Pak - dumped
Pac-Man - undumped
Pipemania - dumped
Pyramid - undumped, but someone claims that the Australian version "used EPROMs from AVE". What does that mean?
R.B.I. Baseball - undumped
Real Player's Pak - dumped
Sidewinder - dumped
Silent Assault - undumped
Solitaire - undumped
Super Sprint - undumped
Tiles of Fate - undumped
Toobin' - undumped
Total Funpak - dumped
Twin Eagle - undumped
Venice Beach Volleyball - undumped

Codemasters:

Cosmic Spacehead - dumped
The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy - dumped, but not present in GoodNES or No-Intro
Fire Hawk - undumped, MrNorbert1994 says he was trying to work on it but hasn't said any news since.
Micro Machines - dumped, but header has wrong mirroring causing graphical glitches and the game to crash at the start of the first race.
MiG 29: Soviet Fighter - undumped
Super Adventure Quests - dumped, but not present in GoodNES or No-Intro
Super Sports Challenge - dumped
The Ultimate Stuntman - undumped

Micro Genius:

3-in-1 Supergun (see BootlegGamesWiki, apparently released in Italy) - undumped

So there you have it. As you can see, the vast majority of HES games are still undumped (of the 26 that I know of, only 10 are dumped), with four remaining Codemasters games and a mysterious Italian multicart which I had never heard of until recently.

Using these lists, there should be a project to dump these remaining games. I would especially like to see ROM images of Toobin', Twin Eagle, Fire Hawk, and The Ultimate Stuntman. Finding these games should be relatively easy, as they can often be found on eBay or some old game collecting sites. The PAL versions of these games should be very easy to distinguish from the US or Asian versions.
I also tried to make a No-Intro account to talk about these games, but they never could verify my account to let me join. So I figured that this would be one of the best places to talk about this. Hopefully progress can be made in the future soon...

I would also like to know if there is anyone in particular willing to dump these missing HES and Codemasters games (and the 3-in-1 Lightgun if possible).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:17:54 PM by Rocman X »

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 04:10:48 AM »
I would expect almost all of the HES games to be identical to their respective US versions without them being specifically marked as such in GoodNES or NoIntro, which is why there is no effort to collect HES versions. The following statement constitutes evidence for that:
Rocman X

Pyramid - undumped, but someone claims that the Australian version "used EPROMs from AVE". What does that mean?[/quote]It means that the HES version's ROM chips have AVE markings on them and that the HES version will be byte-for-byte identical to the AVE version.

Shipping costs are going to be an issue for Australian releases. You could start collecting the cartridges yourself and either purchase a Kazzo or CopyNES to dump them yourself, or send all of them to a dumper in a single package once you have finished collecting all of them.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 04:52:25 AM »
It would be way easier to bug a HES collector asking if they would be willing to dump all their cartridges themselves using a purchasable device like a kazzo rather than buying them all, if you don't have much interest in owning them.

Rocman X

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
MLX
Mar 12 2018, 04:52:25 AM
It would be way easier to bug a HES collector asking if they would be willing to dump all their cartridges themselves using a purchasable device like a kazzo rather than buying them all, if you don't have much interest in owning them.[/quote]Does anyone know such a HES collector? I do think it would be cool to own some of these games such as the Codemasters ones, but I currently am unable to buy these games. I know this one guy on NintendoAge that claimed to have dumped all HES games and 7/7 of Codemasters games (there's actually 8, so one must be missing), but I forgot his name. He had a picture of the character Rit from the obscure NES game RodLand for his profile picture.

EDIT: That guy is Werrock. Here is the post I found regarding dumping some games: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=159549

As for HES games being identical to their AVE/Tengen/Sachen/whatever counterparts, that seems very plausible for a lot of games, as that has been revealed to be the case with ones such as Little Red Hood and Arctic Adventure: Penguin and Seal. Additionally, the Joy-Van and Sachen versions of Silent Assault are known to be identical, so it seems likely that the HES version is the same as well. However, keep in mind that not all are the same. Some of the dumped games such as Chiller, Duck Maze, and the Maxi-15 Pack multicart have unexplained differences from their US counterparts, and Twin Eagle is most certainly different than the Sachen version, as the version on HES's Funblaster Pak doesn't have a long animation of the propeller spinning on the title screen or a "No pain, no gain" screen.
Additionally, I also am unsure as for which revision of Pyramid it is the same as, as there are two versions, PRG0 and PRG1 in GoodNES.

And as for the Codemasters games, they are a whole different deal, as far as I know. None of the five dumps match the respective versions (there's some pretty significant differences in a few of these games, but it's unknown how Micro Machines (compared to the Aladdin version) and Super Sports Challenge is different (SSC just says "Quattro Sports" on the menu). A hex editor shows that there's a bunch of random bytes different in comparison. Although the US versions of the remaining three games run fine in PAL mode in my emulators, they might in fact be different, based on what we know for the other games. Fire Hawk is known to be different as it doesn't have any logos on the title screen, according to BGW.

As I said, I'm not really demanding anything, but we really need some more investigation about this, as well as to make sure everything does eventually get dumped. I am also not sure how to use a Kazzo to dump mapper 71 games yet.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:59:40 PM by Rocman X »

MrNorbert1994

• View Profile
    • http://mrnorbert1994.uw.hu/
Re: List of dumped and undumped HES and Codemasters games
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 10:42:26 AM »
https://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/dumping_2019.php

Sorry for the bump, but 2 of my carts just got a dump on cah4e3's website, and one of them is Firehawk.