Author Topic: VTxx Dumping Thread  (Read 50274 times)

davidstech

• View Profile
    • http://ds0.me
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »
The ZDog is now working in MAME. It turned out I was generating scanline IRQs incorrectly during VBlank. Now SMB3 in multicarts also doesn't crash. I've also sorted out the 16x16 sprite mode so the graphics are better in the Hummer games.
I finally have MAME on Android RetroArch working, so you can now play VTxx games on the go!

To install, you will need to follow these instructions
https://bbs.nextthing.co/t/how-do-i-download-cores-for-retroarch/16423/2
But use the following url:
http://davidstech.net/cores/
Then install the MAME core in the "Core Updater".

This is very much experimental, the controls are a bit dodgy (the touch D-pad doesn't work, you have to use the touch "joystick" instead), but it works, and it should run at full speed on a mid to high end phone.

I also notice there is a bug in this build when switching from VT03 to legacy palette that needs fixing. Beware of this when trying this out, I'll fix it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:33:56 PM by davidstech »

Y2K05

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2018, 06:40:55 PM »
403 Forbidden (for your cores url). I'll wait a bit longer until more glitches/bugs are fixed. :)

davidstech

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »
You're not supposed to go to the URL, just enter it in RetroArch as the core update URL (because retroarch for Android will only download cores from a update URL, it doesn't let you manually install cores from a file). It should work other than the palette bug in some games.

Y2K05

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2018, 07:52:13 PM »
Oh, I see. I'll give it a shot.
The MAME core doesn't load! It doesn't detect! I'm sure I followed the instructions cor rectly as well. :(
why do things have to be so complicated
i just don't understand. i did everyhing right but it won't loet me load the mame lcore.
(yeah sorry i was upset earlier because i didn't feel good either).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:00:08 PM by Y2K05 »

davidstech

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2018, 07:40:21 AM »
I think this is probably another Android version issue, maybe it's best if you wait ~3 weeks and try the next official build which will have all this stuff included.

What exactly is happening when you go to "Load Content", select one of the ROMs, select "Load Archive" and then if asked select the "MAME 0.194" core?

Y2K05

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
it says "Failed to open Libretro core"

davidstech

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2018, 10:58:22 AM »
Unfortunately as far as I can tell MAME itself no longer supports Android versions before 5, and I don't think there's anything that can be done about this from my point of view.

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2018, 01:07:09 PM »
I would appreciate if "MAME on Android"-related questions were discussed in a separate thread in the future.
Here is today's multicart extract. I don't know if the FC Mobile 600 has any interesting hacks or Nice Code Software versions in it, but here you go. Apart from the sheer number of games, this one was particularly easy since the VT3x's bankswitching hardware supports not just MMC3 but also MMC1, CNROM and UNROM directly, so none of the games had any weird mapper hacks applied to them. The number of Console games is less than 472 because of a few repeats.

And if somebody has this console in working state, I would still like to know whether Gauntlet displays correctly, if not, then the player will seem to walk through walls.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:17:34 PM by NewRisingSun2 »

Y2K05

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2018, 01:31:02 PM »
no worries davidstech. thank you for trying

forgotusername

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2018, 02:10:19 PM »
NewRisingSun2
Feb 8 2018, 01:07:09 PM
Here is today's multicart extract. I don't know if the FC Mobile 600 has any interesting hacks or Nice Code Software versions in it, but here you go.[/quote]There are around 15 previously undumped NC ones in there (along with a few "goof" games). Couple notes below:
* "Block Puzzle" appears to be made by the same company who made BugTris.
* Version of Chinese Chess on here is an Inventor (?) hack with animal graphics over the middle-aged bald men, which I'd argue is a huge improvement.
* Despite all the crazy mappers this thing supports, Dr. Mario and Hello Kitty are converted into mapper 4 (probably some others are too, I only checked a handful).
As always, thanks for the rips.

MLX

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2018, 03:45:47 PM »
Block Puzzle actually use Metal Force #6 track as its main theme albeit slowed down, slightly modified and missing the drums. So it definitely originates from Korea but its origins are still unclear. It's missing the Game Line logo seen in Bugtris. Now I wonder if it had a single cart release.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:46:27 PM by MLX »

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2018, 03:49:50 PM »
Quote:

Version of Chinese Chess on here [/quote]What's it called on the multicart?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:55:44 PM by NewRisingSun2 »

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2018, 01:31:10 AM »
An addendum on the subject of the VT03 palette:

I noticed that Pic32, V.R. Technology's official graphics drawing utility, comes with two palette files: HSL_NTSC.TAB and HSL_PAL.TAB. EmuVT's hard-coded palette matches HSL_PAL.TAB, but the DGUN-2573 220-in-1 plug-and-play console's games' 12-bit RGB colors are close matches of HSL_NTSC.TAB. This indicates that for most VT03 games, HSL_NTSC.TAB represents the authors' intent, and EmuVT's palette is quite off. This is most visible in Curly Monkey 2, where on the title screen, the monkey is magenta rather than red in EmuVT when using the DGUN-2500 130-in-1 multicart. HSL_NTSC.TAB is also somewhat darker than EmuVT/HSL_PAL.TAB, and I have always thought that EmuVT's palette was a bit too bright. Compare (left: VT3x RGB, middle: HSL_NTSC.TAB, right: HSL_PAL.TAB/EmuVT):

In other words: I wasted my time trying to approximate EmuVT's palette in my palette generation code, because that's not the correct palette that needs to be approximated.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:21:39 AM by NewRisingSun2 »

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »
@davidstech: Pocket Games 150-in-1 is not a VTxx multicart, but a normal NES multicart using the CoolBoy mapper, with 256 KiB of CHR-RAM.

Nimbus 176-in-1 must be a bad dump - games after number 85 sort of work, but many with CHR data corrupt in such a way that the correct CHR bank is chosen but the data itself is bad.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:05:53 AM by NewRisingSun2 »

Y2K05

• View Profile
VTxx Dumping Thread
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2018, 01:40:26 PM »
I missed your Feb 16 message--

Apparently your emulator has a more accurate palette than the official emulator does?