Author Topic: Undumped/unavailable known variations of unlicensed games  (Read 16101 times)

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
Undumped/unavailable known variations of unlicensed games
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
MLX

AVJiu, a Somari (P config, which is 116), Contra Fighter [/quote]Wait: The Contra Fighter ROM I have uses Mapper 238. Do you assume that your Contra Fighter uses a different mapper?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:14:16 AM by NewRisingSun2 »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
Both scripts returns were complete 0xFF with the Somari P cart.
As for Contra Fighter, it's listed on nesdev wiki and cites CaH4e3 as the source.

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
MLX

Both scripts returns were complete 0xFF with the Somari P cart.[/quote]That indicates that there is some kind of protection that is not replicated by emulators, and not described on the wiki page, because it isn't necessary to run the games once one is in possession of a ROM image. I can try some more, or you can tell me that you've had enough, and I'll stop. :) You could also ask CaH4e3 for dumping instructions.

MLX

As for Contra Fighter, it's listed on nesdev wiki and cites CaH4e3 as the source. [/quote]Then the existing dump must be from a different cart.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:10:09 PM by NewRisingSun2 »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 02:10:19 PM »
You're the one doing the hard task. I don't mind at all on my end.

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »
Both Somaris do a strange write sequence at the beginning, which I am now replicating. That could be just a normal MMC1 serial register load, but that is usually done with one value and an LSR loop, not five unique 7-bit values. Of course, only the Somaris do this; the other Mapper 116 games just go straight into MMC3 mode, so I may be on to nothing at all. In any case, try this with Somari-P.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:14:39 AM by NewRisingSun2 »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 02:44:33 PM »
MMC3b:
Somari P: 0xff again

MMC3a, MMC3b & 116 (first one)
AV Bishōjo Senshi: gives a partial working game (PRG seems OK, CHR is mostly wrong)

mmc1:
AV Bishōjo Senshi: good title screen, bad character select, good VS screen, bad fighting scenes

EDIT:
Tried dumping again, now the output is not 0xff but rather a 256KB file that doesn't boot.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:47:12 PM by MLX »

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »
Attached find Kazzo dumping scripts for mappers 115 and 116, verified by MLX to work.

Attachments:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:31:14 PM by NewRisingSun2 »

Rocman X

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2017, 05:37:07 PM »
Sorry this topic has been dead for several months, but...
Apparently Super Adventure Quests has been dumped, as can seen by these posts:
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1975.0
http://www.jammarcade.net/dumping-a-nes-cartridge/

Unfortunately, I can't find a ROM for this version of the game. Can anyone tell me where it is?

Also, MrNorbert1994, have you had any luck dumping Firehawk?

Rocman X

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »
mmsc123
Aug 16 2017, 07:05:14 AM
The Australian version of Pyramid used EPROMS from AVE.[/quote]What does this mean? I thought EPROMS was some kind of saving thing...

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
Bump. I have removed games with no more undumped variations from the list, and added a few new variations.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:55:37 PM by NewRisingSun2 »

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2018, 02:43:33 PM »
Revisiting Silent Assault/突擊 again:

You may remember that the the Chinese-titled Joy Van version of 突擊 (Tújí) that was dumped more than a year ago differed from the later English-titled Color Dreams and Sachen releases in that the music was slower, and that the mines on the floor of the first level were missing, among other things.

There must exist a later version of 突擊 that is like the Color Dreams and Sachen releases, meaning faster music and with mines on the first level's floor, yet with a Chinese title screen. (It's kind of disturbing to think that the Color Dreams version, as bad as it is, is already a revised version.)

I know this because there is a pirated floppy disk version (catalogue number R023) for the Turbo Game Doctor 6M with just those attributes, and the pirates certainly did not take a Color Dreams version and slap a Joy Van title screen on it, because if they had done that, the game's mapper code would not look like the Joy Van version's but more like the Color Dream version's.

This later Chinese version of the game is therefore undumped.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:47:13 PM by NewRisingSun2 »

MrNorbert1994

• View Profile
    • http://mrnorbert1994.uw.hu/
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »
NewRisingSun2
Jun 11 2018, 02:43:33 PM
Revisiting Silent Assault/突擊 again:

You may remember that the the Chinese-titled Joy Van version of 突擊 (Tújí) that was dumped more than a year ago differed from the later English-titled Color Dreams and Sachen releases in that the music was slower, and that the mines on the floor of the first level were missing, among other things.

There must exist a later version of 突擊 that is like the Color Dreams and Sachen releases, meaning faster music and with mines on the first level's floor, yet with a Chinese title screen. (It's kind of disturbing to think that the Color Dreams version, as bad as it is, is already a revised version.)

I know this because there is a pirated floppy disk version (catalogue number R023) for the Turbo Game Doctor 6M with just those attributes, and the pirates certainly did not take a Color Dreams version and slap a Joy Van title screen on it, because if they had done that, the game's mapper code would not look like the Joy Van version's but more like the Color Dream version's.

This later Chinese version of the game is therefore undumped.[/quote]Just out of the box:
Do you know some possible Sachen / Joy Van released games that might have some sound differences?

PS.:

Sorry for me being an ass over nesdev. :p
The frame counter writes in init are EXTREMLY necesseray in almost "every" single NSF rip.
For the past hell now months I've been reripping hunders of these NSFs with this missing thing, not to mention the header playback controls what was wrong all the time ($411A - $4E20 instead of $40FF - $4E1D).
I sincerely can't imagine who tought that the first pb method was OK...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:47:59 PM by MrNorbert1994 »