Author Topic: Super Robot Wars IMPACT by SKOB  (Read 3379 times)

msf007

• View Profile
Super Robot Wars IMPACT by SKOB
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »
This game was dumped by taizou at Handheld Underground, as Li Cheng re-release version called "Gangdan Wuyu II(means Gundam Story II in Chinese)" and finally I found out what the original version looked like. Those lazy Li Cheng guys couldn't bother more to get rid of that "IMPACT" on the title screen!

A Chinese page with some pics

The REAL Super Robot Wars IMPACT is a Playstation 2 game came out in 2002. SKOB previously tried to port a Sega Saturn/Playstation game "Super Robot Wars F Final"(and the result was rather disastrous), which was an earlier entry in the same Super Robot Wars series. However, if you guessed that this would be their later attempt of porting a Super Robot Wars game from that, you're wrong.

Despite being named Super Robot Wars IMPACT and borrowing the label art from the original game, this game has nothing to do with SRW IMPACT. It is an original game heavily based on SD Gundam G Generation F, a Playstation game. Well, both Super Robot Wars and SD Gundam G Generation series feature Gundam mechs, and actually they look and play quite similar but they are never the same. And it looks like SKOB failed to catch the difference...

It looks like this game recycles the engine used SRW F Final, and they did some modifications to make it play more like SDGGF, such as removing spirit command system and adding the ability to purchase/sell new mechs. Graphics and character stats are all taken from SDGGF, and all these things actually do make it look like being faithful to the original. Oddly, musics are taken from various SRW games rather than SDGGF.

As you keep playing, you'll realize SKOB just failed to represent the gameplay of SDGGF properly. The Morale point and Unit performance grade work in SRW-ish way despite all other stats are directly taken from SDGGF, and now the game is completely broken. Gundams and other cool-looking robot mechs are usually WAY weaker than rather pathetic-looking planes and tanks, and killing some random enemies as soon as possible will make your further attacks deal ridiculously high amount of damage, making the whole game a piece of cake.

The game is 20 stages long, and the story follows the events of 1979 anime "Mobile Suit Gundam" rather loosely. One neat feature is that this game lets you play back previous stages(with dialogues omitted) for training your pilots, giving out something to mess around even after you reach the final stage.

The ending sequence doesn't show any info about the developers - just a bunch of Chinese text with starry background.

The current "Gangdan Wuyu 2" dump has some emulation issues - most emulators crashes at stage 2 and 13. taizou's hhugboy handles those stages properly but fails at stages 6, 9 and 17. I had to use Visualboyadvance for those stages(I tried bgb first but it failed), and while VBA lets you beat those three stages it still had some issues like garbled map graphics and destroying main save data after the stage map is loaded.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
I'm working on a fix for the stage 2 issue btw, but I wasn't aware 6/9/17 had issues - would you be able to send/upload a save file from before the crash on one of those stages? thanks!

msf007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:39:31 PM »
Playing back the previous stages with training option (Load the main save data, select 部隊 - 訓鍊 and that's the stage select menu) produces the same problem, so I think you can examine those stages with the attached save.

Stage 9 played by training option doesn't have problem in hhugboy except for glitched up map graphics(I've left some comments on Handheld Underground), so I think I'll need some time for making a save file for that. It only caused problem when I beat stage 8 and proceed to stage 9.

Attachments:

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »
Thanks! I'll investigate the behaviour on the real cart as well - some of these Li Cheng releases introduce bugs that weren't in the original games.

msf007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 06:52:13 AM »
I tested with one more emulator - this time an emulator for android OS called GBC.emu, and it just behaved exact the same as Visualboyadvance. (Crashs at Stage 2 and 13, Stages 6, 9 and 17 are playable but glitchy)

And I noticed that glitched maps shown when you load Stages 6, 9 and 17 in VBA have identical layout - it resembles the map used in stage 15 and 18(The Solomon space fortress). Entering stage 9 in hhugboy also shows the same glitched Solomon map. I'm not sure this would help since hhugboy doesn't show the same glitched map at Stage 6/17...

Aside from emulation problem, I saw a Chinese comment on nesbbs(http://www.nesbbs.com/bbs/thread-26165-1-1.html) and it said there are three Gangdan Wuyu games. According to the comment, while Gangdan Wuyu 2 is this one and Gangdan Wuyu 3 is Super Robot Wars X renamed, Gangdan Wuyu 1 was about the story of "Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story : The Blue Destiny".

SRW IMPACT gives you characters and mechs from that Blue Destiny story as your initial squad, and Gangdan Wuyu 2 has "SRW03" as its internal header name, implying the possible existence of SRW02. So maybe SKOB's second SRW game was also re-released by Li Cheng as Gangdan Wuyu 1...

...Oh, and if I understood that comment correctly, the real Gangdan Wuyu 2 cart also had some problem at Stage 6!

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:44:41 PM »
msf007
Sep 18 2015, 06:52:13 AM
...Oh, and if I understood that comment correctly, the real Gangdan Wuyu 2 cart also had some problem at Stage 6![/quote]Well, I don't know that yet, I'm going to write your save file to the cart and test it. But it's possible.

FRVO304

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 05:48:18 AM »
oh and also i don't see the connection. But it turns out that super robot wars final vol ii. Might be the same as part 2 of the super robot wars x series then. And for blue destiny it is really just a title screen hack of that game.

msf007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 06:51:35 AM »
FRVO304
Sep 20 2015, 05:48:18 AM
oh and also i don't see the connection. But it turns out that super robot wars final vol ii. Might be the same as part 2 of the super robot wars x series then. And for blue destiny it is really just a title screen hack of that game.[/quote]I think you'd better bring some actual proofs when you are talking about undiscovered things so confidently. I remember someone being banned for this kind of activity... What you said even doesn't seem to match up with what that comment on nesbbs.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 10:38:44 AM »
msf007
Sep 20 2015, 06:51:35 AM
I remember someone being banned for this kind of activity...
[/quote]yeah, "someone" with the same posting style, same ISP and a similar name.