Author Topic: Odd Variation of one of those Powerjoy Famiclones  (Read 5151 times)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Odd Variation of one of those Powerjoy Famiclones
« on: December 04, 2010, 10:02:28 PM »
Recently, I found this video of one of the many Powerjoy Famiclones. Strange thing is that while most of the games on there appear to be the standard QSL buggery, Panda Adventure is included on there which is most definitely not by them. I'm also curious about that Space Shuttle game, the enemy patterns vaguely remind me of Recca but other than that I don't have a clue where it's from. As far as I can tell from the extremely quiet game audio, I think the sound engine is either taken from Sunsoft or Hummer Team. I've also never heard of Barroom Shootout, looks almost like an NTDEC game as far as I can tell on the title screen. I doubt it is though, given the Powerjoy copyright and font.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »
Space Shuttle is an ABABsoft game, so that'd definitely be the Hummer sound engine.. no idea how QSL/whoever got access to ABAB's games, but I guess they did somehow. Panda Adventure is on the D-Cat too, and Space Shuttle was supposed to be but got replaced for some reason.

as for Bar Room Shootout, thats on my 25 in 1 joystick thingy - I always assumed it was by Waixing, most/all of the other games on there are. But maybe not.
heres one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/260699792315
the box says 90 games but the cartridge is a 60 in 1, so I guess it has 30 games built in too - my Power Joy only has 10 (all hacks)
heres another, with a side photo:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/320615168528
check out "Military Man", that looks a hell of a lot like War by ABAB (the one that uses Earthworm Jim graphics). so maybe there are even more of their games on here..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:59:35 AM by taizou »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 06:27:56 AM »
Guess those ABAB Soft games are more common than I thought. I guess they probably licensed the games out to QSL or whoever and for whatever reason, they only put the games on the Powerjoy Famiclones. No idea why they're not included on QSL's other systems.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:00:38 PM »
well I just realised something - the first game on my Excalibur 101 in 1 famiclone (which I haven't touched for years, because it uses so many damn batteries and its NTSC - Excalibur's website has disappeared but this is Trump Grand's version) actually *is* Space Shuttle Exploration, renamed "Space Destroyer Exploration". its a pretty simple scrolling shooter, the backgrounds are a bit glitchy and stage 2 looks exactly like stage 1 only with more enemies. but the sound is definitely Hummer's, although theres no actual music in-game, just a short tune on the title screen and some game over music that sounds like a modified version of something from Tekken.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 09:01:51 PM »
Well I got one of these. yay for ebay. it only came with a 60 games cart though, the box says 90 games so I dunno if theres a cart missing or if the internal games are broken somehow.
there are quite a few ABAB/Hummer games on here; Panda Adventure, Space Shuttle Exploration, War, War of Strike Mouse & Dragon Running. The latter two are from the 3 in 1 Hot Dance shown on ABAB's website, and were presumably designed to played with a dance mat - Dragon Running is too easy with a D-pad and you just play the same 15-ish-second level over and over again but its still pretty awesome.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »
Can you show some screenshots/photos of those games? Namely Space Shuttle Exploration, War of Strike Mouse and Dragon Running. The latter's name reminds me of Fire Dragon by Gamtec for some reason.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 09:41:06 PM »
Cheetahmen
Dec 11 2010, 09:20:31 PM
The latter's name reminds me of Fire Dragon by Gamtec for some reason.[/quote]It's not, its a dinosaur racing game. :D

there is a hack of Fire Dragon on here too - it seems to be based on the one from the 101 in 1 (same music and stuff) only with a train. and they even had the balls to put their copyright on the title screen.

I'll get some screenshots soon anywya.
screens:
http://fuji.drillspirits.net/stuff/supermax/
the game list is in there as well if anyone wants to see/ask anything about any of the others. "Catcher" is War of Strike Mouse, "Military Man" is War, "Three Country" is that Shisen Mahjong 2 (or whatever its real name is. its still in Chinese and everything)
btw, these are the games i don't recall seeing anywhere else, or that are otherwise unusual somehow (aside from the ones already mentioned)
4. Power Boat - Road Fighter with a few powerups, pretty much. not sure if its a hack or just a clone.
7. Racing Fighter - another sort of Road Fighter clone, except you can shoot the other cars like a really crap Spy Hunter
8. Dive Man - a platform game, pretty similar to Wonder Rabbit on the DreamGear
10. Jumping Fish - Duck Hunt clone with fish. again I'm not sure if its a hack, but I'm leaning towards original.
14, 28, 29, 34, 35, 37, 38, 44, 50 - Track & Field type things. some of them are definitely based on events from the original (possibly hacks), others don't seem to be..
20. Burry - Jumping Fish with bees. Jumping Fish definitely came first because the options on the title screen are still "1 Fish" & "2 Fishes"
43. Sea War - that hack of Battle City from the 101 in 1, with the "2000" and Inventor copyright removed
49. Shunting - first there was Fire Dragon, then there was Dragon, now there's Shunting. with a damn train.
53. Bolt Action - seems to be a pretty extensive hack of Star Force
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:49:14 AM by taizou »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »
finally got hold of one with the 30 in 1 cart... these some of the more interesting games:

1. Primitive Man - Tom & Jerry by Dragon Co. hack
2. Super Hero - Felix hack, like on the DreamGear but starts on a different level
4. Quiz - a quiz game, surprisingly the questions are mostly written in reasonable English
6. Toy Bricks - draw a picture using predefined shapes. Copyright 2000
10. Across River - same Frogger clone from the Millenium Super Arcade only with a bunny instead of the Jigglypuff-esque thing, still has Union Bond Pokemon music
11. Racing Guy - no idea about this one. you put together a toy car then participate in some challenges which all just involve you holding down the A button, then you can customise it. or something. Copyright 2002
12. Mini Movies - a few short scenarios with engrishy dialogue, you can either auto play them or do a sort of memory game beforehand where it shows you the scenes and you have to put them in order. the last one doesn't work.
17. Snaffo - a card game
19. Pet Dance - PicaDance from Union Bond's Pokemon 4 in 1, pikachu has been edited to look sort of chipmunky and the pokemon are all replaced with up arrows.
20. Pet Dog - some kind of virtual pet thing. has a "load game" option on the title screen but doesn't actually save, I guess it was designed for something else.
21. Primitive Woman - the other Tom & Jerry hack
22. Pet Slot - a dog-themed version of Pica Slot from the Union Bond 4 in 1

all the non-Union Bond ones seem to be by Nice Code as far as I can tell.

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »
taizou
Jun 13 2011, 04:01:50 PM
finally got hold of one with the 30 in 1 cart... these some of the more interesting games:

1. Primitive Man - Tom & Jerry by Dragon Co. hack
2. Super Hero - Felix hack, like on the DreamGear but starts on a different level
4. Quiz - a quiz game, surprisingly the questions are mostly written in reasonable English
6. Toy Bricks - draw a picture using predefined shapes. Copyright 2000
10. Across River - same Frogger clone from the Millenium Super Arcade only with a bunny instead of the Jigglypuff-esque thing, still has Union Bond Pokemon music
11. Racing Guy - no idea about this one. you put together a toy car then participate in some challenges which all just involve you holding down the A button, then you can customise it. or something. Copyright 2002
12. Mini Movies - a few short scenarios with engrishy dialogue, you can either auto play them or do a sort of memory game beforehand where it shows you the scenes and you have to put them in order. the last one doesn't work.
17. Snaffo - a card game
19. Pet Dance - PicaDance from Union Bond's Pokemon 4 in 1, pikachu has been edited to look sort of chipmunky and the pokemon are all replaced with up arrows.
20. Pet Dog - some kind of virtual pet thing. has a "load game" option on the title screen but doesn't actually save, I guess it was designed for something else.
21. Primitive Woman - the other Tom & Jerry hack
22. Pet Slot - a dog-themed version of Pica Slot from the Union Bond 4 in 1

all the non-Union Bond ones seem to be by Nice Code as far as I can tell.[/quote]Ever consider sending it to CaH4e3 or MLX or someone else who can get it dumped?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:18:12 AM »
I don't think MLX can do it, he's got a CopyNES but those can't handle OneBus stuff. Cah4e3 probably can, I'm planning to send him both my powerjoy carts at some point but I'm going to be moving soon so I want to get all that sorted out first.

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 01:17:07 PM »
MLX told me he gave up with the CopyNES because it's such a huge mess to the point he gave up on trying to fix it.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »
Yeah, got it with a bad piece and would have cost too much to return it (already had to pay fees and stuff, wouldn't have got my money back there). Tryed to wire everything but still it didn't work.

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 04:13:25 PM »
MLX
Sep 14 2011, 01:51:56 PM
Yeah, got it with a bad piece and would have cost too much to return it (already had to pay fees and stuff, wouldn't have got my money back there). Tryed to wire everything but still it didn't work.[/quote]So contact to CaH4e3 by e-mail and send your ex-Hummer Team's "15-in-1" and BugTris cartridges to him, because I'm still waiting for their dumps.

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 03:38:27 PM »
Have any of you guys seen this hither-to-unseen Dreamgear 60-in-1? It has Bar Room Shootout, Dragon Running, Panda Adventure, and probably a few others. I'm wondering how easy/hard to find they are.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »
KAGE-008
Sep 14 2011, 04:13:25 PM
MLX
Sep 14 2011, 01:51:56 PM
Yeah, got it with a bad piece and would have cost too much to return it (already had to pay fees and stuff, wouldn't have got my money back there). Tryed to wire everything but still it didn't work.[/quote]So contact to CaH4e3 by e-mail and send your ex-Hummer Team's "15-in-1" and BugTris cartridges to him, because I'm still waiting for their dumps.[/quote]Lol, I already done that long time ago. Also managed to make the owner of Bai Bai Dino to send his cart to CaH4e3 too.