Author Topic: Family Kid title screen oddity  (Read 3443 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Family Kid title screen oddity
« on: July 13, 2014, 04:11:05 PM »
I've got a Family Kid cart that I've had for a few years now. You know how on some carts you sometimes find alternate or hidden stuff by rapidly hitting the reset button on a console or fooling with stuff in a ROM on an emulator?

I had never came across this during normal gameplay when using this cart on a Famiclone or NES with 60-72 pin adapter. However, when trying it out on my Retron5 (which is an android-based emulator that just dumps the cart and runs the ROM) it always boots to this screen allowing you to select either Family Kid or Aladdin 4.

Strange how this acts this way every time on this particular emulator but never acts that way on real hardware. I'd say Aladdin isn't actually present on the cart, even if it was this particular emulator doesn't support the correct bank switching or mappers for it to run.

What the hell was Aladdin 4 anyway?

Attachments:

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
I'm not sure if the ROM's the same, but there is one with the same menu and both games. The latter is a hacked version of the Hummer Team Aladdin game in case you're wondering.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »
I'd guess its one of those carts with internal DIP switches allowing the manufacturers to select a different game/set of games on the same PCB; the multicart menu is probably the "default" so that's the one emulators display, and since the Retron has limited/no support for the multicart's mapper it presumably just dumps the menu part and ignores the rest.

goku8800

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:34:02 AM »
Oh, you mean the game where the main character looks like Captain Falcon?

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 05:02:47 AM »
Old thread I guess, but just to clear things up, I own this on a real cart, and I've always had this menu pop up when using it on real hardware (NES + adapter).

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »
It appears all Family Kid cartridges (well, the original print) are like that but they react differently depending on what hardware you use. Mine loads FK most of the time iirc. I'm assuming it's some software dip switch. Reset based multicarts start on different games depending the console you run them one.

disregard this post.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:51:22 PM by MLX »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »
I have one that only loads Family Kid on every clone I've tried, but looking at the PCB there are several solder pads with only one covered - I'm guessing the others would toggle it into different modes. Oh and the PCB is numbered 4646B if that means anything to anyone (just because I'm probably not going to open it again and risk breaking the shitty plastic)

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »
Just checked and right, mine load FK everytime too (must say I haven't fired it up in a long time!). I did check the PCB as well and there are four solder pads on the right of the -only- globtop (there is one on the left but I'm pretty sure that one is used for some mapper trickery). The rightmost is the one covered on my copy.