Author Topic: Rocman X - Sachen  (Read 3395 times)

BigFred

• View Profile
Rocman X - Sachen
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »
It appears I managed to dump Rocman X from Sachen which uses different graphics than Thunder Blast Man. However I encountered a huge surprise.

Link to my original post:

http://forums.no-intro.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2219&p=14011#p14011

Let me just mirror my message here:

Now I have a rare one - the elusive Rocman X from Sachen which took me years to find.

This is really a strange one. A sidenote: I realized the dump of Thunder Blast Man I put into the dat which is basically the same game is probably underdumped. The file should be 1MiB as only this appears to contain all unique data. However strange enough the first 256k appear to contain the full game - the same size of the scene release from the old days. I will change the dat however since we have no risk to lose anything as long as the max sized version is included. I don't know the purpose of the other data.

Now what about Rocman X? Well overall the 1MiB version is quite different. However the first 256k (see above) differ in only a single byte from TBM. This made me wonder what is going on. I confirmed that Rocman X is on the cart by playing it in my Game Boy Color. It did not work in any emulator out there unfortunately. But the fact alone should tell you that TBM and Rocman are more or less the same and the single byte might work as a trigger.

Now I found a little hack to make it work in emulators - seems an update is required in their code to support the game accurately. Funny enough this means you can also just take TBM from the internet, edit two bytes and it will turn into Rocman X :)

I will include the 1MiB version of the untouched read of course. People will of course complain about a non-working dump so I will also release the hacked version with it.

TALUIGI

• View Profile
Rocman X - Sachen
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »
...?!
It's a alternative version of THUNDER BLASTMAN?!

RVVD4029

• Banned
    • View Profile
Rocman X - Sachen
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »
Bigfred when you say the original dump and a hack. Do you mean one of them i can follow your instructions and have rocman X from the rom dump. Or it turns out the rom dump is just rocman X dumped separately? Also i want to have the rocman X without updating my emulator.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:45:08 PM by RVVD4029 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Rocman X - Sachen
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:53:56 PM »
you can turn any thunder blast man rom into a rocman x or vice versa just by changing the byte at 2A5D. set it to 42, you get Rocman, set it to 43 you get Thunder Blast Man. so if you have a Thunder Blast Man ROM that works in your chosen emulator, just change that byte and you're done.