Author Topic: Nanjing connection to "LEE" cartridge IDs?  (Read 2018 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nanjing connection to "LEE" cartridge IDs?
« on: March 02, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »
I was randomly surfing around the Pirated Game Museum wiki and happened to notice this cartridge for "Ninja Cat" (a.k.a. Kyattou Ninden Teyandee):

http://piratedgamemuseum.wikia.com/wiki/File:Ninjac.png

Aside from the fact that bootleggers who made this cartridge couldn't tell a cat from a fox to save their lives, I noticed something else vaguely interesting: the sidebar reads "LEE02014 - NILEEA CAT".

At first, I thought, "wow, that's an even worse spelling of 'ninja' than is usual for bootleggers", but then I realized what must have happened. niNJa --> niLEEa. Which suggests that this cartridge probably had the ID NJ02014 at one point, and that this line of cartridges is probably connected, directly or indirectly, to Shenzhen Nanjing.

(Interestingly, this alternate version of the cart also has a LEE id, but spells "ninja" correctly.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:15:13 PM by codeman38 »

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:58:17 PM »
I'm honestly not sure that I follow you.  I do, however, have a Nanjing multicart with their name branded into the cart, though I could never get the thing to work :(

That game you linked though, it is obvious that Realtec manufactured the case for that game.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »
fcgamer
Mar 5 2014, 12:58:17 PM
I'm honestly not sure that I follow you.  I do, however, have a Nanjing multicart with their name branded into the cart, though I could never get the thing to work :(

[/quote]because they presumably did a search/replace across all the cart labels to change "NJ" to "LEE"
fcgamer

That game you linked though, it is obvious that Realtec manufactured the case for that game.[/quote]
yeah that case design definitely originated from Realtec, but I'm not sure if they still manufacture them.. carts in that type of case only seem to show up in Poland, where a lot of the BIC/Realtec releases of Codemasters games were originally exported, so I feel like a Polish company (or a Chinese company exporting to Poland) copied the case design from Realtec - if you compare one of those with an original BIC one they aren't exactly the same, in particular the text on the back is lower quality which points to it being a copy rather than using the original moulds.