Author Topic: Earlier versions of Trump Grand games?  (Read 3143 times)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Earlier versions of Trump Grand games?
« on: October 27, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
I recently came across a couple of videos showing off a(n awful) Famiclone which had 10 games on it. The Play Power Video Game Pad by TechnoSource, whoever they are. They have no music whatsoever, few sound effects, the title screens are really basic and overall it's pretty bad. I noticed at least a few of these games look like modified versions of Trump Grand games. Raceway and Snowboarding look like Corridor, Boxing looks like an earlier version of Boxing Wrestle, Hungry Worm looks like yet another hack of Gamtec's Fire Dragon, Paddle Fun is evidently a less annoying version of Trump Grand's Pong clone (I forget the name of it), Balloon Pop is pretty much Shooting Ballo(o)ns and Drop Em is that Hitting Mices (sic) game. Here's the videos:

Part 1
Part 2

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »
Hm. Interesting that you mention TechnoSource, because they also produced the Intellivision plug-n-play unit, which actually runs on Famiclone hardware. And many of Trump Grand's games are hacks of Intellivision games. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 09:45:43 AM »
codeman38
Oct 29 2010, 09:23:04 AM
And many of Trump Grand's games are hacks of Intellivision games. I don't think this is a coincidence.[/quote]Actually, I think they were direct ports as opposed to hacks. One strange thing I found though is that Slap Shot: Super Pro Hockey, which is a port of the Intellivision game, included the credits from the Intellivision game. Either Trump Grand were licensed by INTV to port it or they were too lazy to remove the credits.

Looking at that Intellivision thing, those sound effects are definitely reused in Trump Grand's Famiclone games and they're not from the original games they're ported from. I'm guessing they originally made some ports for TechnoSource's consoles and then they hacked those to add annoying music and more graphics. I know that Fish War on one of those Bensheng 4-in-1's is a port of Shark! Shark! and then it was hacked as Shark (Game 1 on the dreamGEAR 75-in-1) which adds in some background graphics.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:52:25 AM by Awesome Panda »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »
Not sure if I can double post here, but I found some updated versions of/new TG/QSL games on the Yobo Factor 5. They definitely run on modified Famiclone hardware, judging by how colourful the graphics are. Bomb Kid is clearly yet another rebranded version of their Bomber Man game, with the same music and level design. Gotta love the blatantly ripped off logo, BTW. :P Assault Force's player 1 sprite appears to be stolen from R-Type and the music sounds vaguely familiar to me, but I forget where it's from. Super Motor Race's title screen looks like it was ripped from Road Rash and the gameplay looks a lot like F-1 Race.

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 07:13:39 PM »
I have a few of those Intellivison Plug-n-Play controllers. Design-wise, not counting color and the logo under "TV Play Power", it looks JUST like the Play Power TV Game. Techno Source (yes, with a space) is located in Hong Kong (30 Canton Road, Kowloon, Hongkong) if that helps. One of those Bengsheng 4-in-1s have a rip-off of Shark, Shark on it. One of the controllers I have contains Shark, Shark so Trump Grand most likely got it from them.