Author Topic: Stolen Pics on the Bootleg Games Wiki  (Read 1978 times)

fcgamer

• View Profile
Stolen Pics on the Bootleg Games Wiki
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »
I just want to ask how one can have pics removed off of the Bootleg Games Wiki?  I have seen some pics uploaded, which I had taken.  I feel a bit bitter about this issue, as no one had asked me about how I felt if these pictures were uploaded to the Bootleg Games Wiki, and they were just uploaded, sans permission.  So how do I get them removed?

Now before others jump on me like a bunch of harpies on a sailor, I just want to make mention on one thing.  I am working on a project involving bootleg games, and good-quality scans of these titles.  Maybe it is a book, maybe it is a database, maybe it is a bunch of pics of me, Mrs. Palmer, and my bootleg games, all in a bath tub.  The truth is though, it doesn't matter, needless to say I have future uses for the pics I took of the games I own, and I really don't like that Bootleg Games Wiki ripped me off like that, without even asking permission.

Someone please PM me about this, and then I hope the pics in question will be removed.  Thanks!

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
could you link to the images in question?

anyway without knowing for sure (as im pretty sure i didnt upload them) i'd guess they were taken from an ebay auction or similar? we're just out to document these games as comprehensively as possible and quite often an auction pic is the only way to do that. obviously this isnt the case with you but 90% of sellers don't care about their pics once the item has sold and you just end up with the only existing picture of something getting deleted & forgotten about - in cases like that i'd much rather we had a copy of it on the wiki to ensure there's at least some record of this stuff for the future.

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »
taizou
Jul 14 2013, 02:43:38 PM
could you link to the images in question?

anyway without knowing for sure (as im pretty sure i didnt upload them) i'd guess they were taken from an ebay auction or similar? we're just out to document these games as comprehensively as possible and quite often an auction pic is the only way to do that. obviously this isnt the case with you but 90% of sellers don't care about their pics once the item has sold and you just end up with the only existing picture of something getting deleted & forgotten about - in cases like that i'd much rather we had a copy of it on the wiki to ensure there's at least some record of this stuff for the future.[/quote]KingPepe sent me a PM about this after I had started this thread, and I will go through and send him links to all of the pictures that I had taken.

Many of the pics had been taken from pictures I had posted other places online, either when people had asked to see pics for a reference, or when I was selling items (I rarely sell on ebay, so these were taken mostly from messageboards).  I feel it is in bad taste to be stealing pictures like that, for reference or not, when they are being taken from other collecting messageboards.  At least a PM about it seems like it could have been in order.  

And the problem with just grabbing first and asking later is that we end up in situations likes this.  I hate watermarking pics, but have started to, just because places like Bootleg Games Wiki was using my material.  It may sound a bit trivial, but when I am working on my own projects revolving around this sort of stuff, then I get concerned about these things. And that goes beyond the whole internet etiquette thing of asking (or at least crediting people) for their material.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »
yeah if it was from a forum or someone's website i would ask the person, or at least give credit if i couldnt contact them (i mean i'd like to credit ebay people too, but i have a big folder of auction images dating back like ten years and i have no idea who any of the sellers were). there have been a few people making some dubious quality edits to the wiki lately so i guess it was probably one of those who added them.

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »
taizou
Jul 14 2013, 05:33:09 PM
yeah if it was from a forum or someone's website i would ask the person, or at least give credit if i couldnt contact them (i mean i'd like to credit ebay people too, but i have a big folder of auction images dating back like ten years and i have no idea who any of the sellers were). there have been a few people making some dubious quality edits to the wiki lately so i guess it was probably one of those who added them.[/quote]The guy who added them is actually a collector from Famicom World, it seems.

And I hope I didn't come across as a dick on the matter, because that is not my intention at all.  I just felt that internet etiquette was broken when it came to this, and it sort of left a bad taste in my mouth.