Author Topic: Game King Stuff  (Read 14530 times)

fcgamer

• View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 09:05:14 AM »
I find it plausible that all of the multicarts came CIB, although I cannot personally confirm it.  Some of the carts that had been used as pack-ins, also had boxed versions available.  

Obsolete_Worlds

• View Profile
    • http://www.obsoleteworlds.com/
Game King Stuff
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 09:37:22 AM »
I recently got hold of the GameKing successor, the Timetop LTPS Handygame. Unfortunately it didn't come with any cartridges so I had to make do with the built in games.

I've posted a full review of the unit on my website here:

http://www.obsoleteworlds.com/timetop-ltps-handygame-gm-228.html

I'd really like to know some details of the game cartridges that came with it. Did anyone else get one of these and can you tell me anything about the games that came on them?

I'd also like to know if 'Adventure' is the same as the GKIII game or something different if anyone has any idea.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:38:35 AM by Obsolete_Worlds »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Game King Stuff
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
I have a couple of the cartridges, they just contain NES/FC games - nothing Timetop-original.
(It's possible they also released carts with original games, but I haven't seen any)

Obsolete_Worlds

• View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 03:20:15 AM »
taizou
Jul 25 2017, 06:49:00 PM
I have a couple of the cartridges, they just contain NES/FC games - nothing Timetop-original.
(It's possible they also released carts with original games, but I haven't seen any)[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I guess that confirms that the hardware is a famiclone, but the built in games don't seem to run smoothly like Famicom games would and the first game, Magic, seems to look a lot better than most Famicom games do. Perhaps Timetop were just very ineffectual Famicom programmers?

Were the games on the cartridge re-skinned in some way to avoid copyrights? I ask as the Handygame was commercially sold in the French market by the looks of the packaging.

It makes me wonder why they went to the bother of designing their own (poor) Contra clone if they could have just re-skinned the original game...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:21:39 AM by Obsolete_Worlds »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »
The hardware is some kind of extended Famiclone like VT03 with upgraded graphics over the original, not sure exactly which type though. But yeah I'm sure Timetop (or whoever they contracted to develop the games) weren't the greatest FC programmers in any case.

The games on the cartridges are completely identical to the originals, there were a couple internet-sourced hacks and translations lurking in there but nothing copyright-dodging at all. It's possible those cartridges were never distributed in France though, both of mine came from China (one packed in with the console and one sold separately). Presumably the reason they made original games to build into the system rather than simply ripping off FC stuff was so they could sell the console to copyright-conscious markets in a 'legal' state without any pirated software.

Obsolete_Worlds

• View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »
taizou
Jul 27 2017, 03:43:23 PM
The hardware is some kind of extended Famiclone like VT03 with upgraded graphics over the original, not sure exactly which type though. But yeah I'm sure Timetop (or whoever they contracted to develop the games) weren't the greatest FC programmers in any case.

The games on the cartridges are completely identical to the originals, there were a couple internet-sourced hacks and translations lurking in there but nothing copyright-dodging at all. It's possible those cartridges were never distributed in France though, both of mine came from China (one packed in with the console and one sold separately). Presumably the reason they made original games to build into the system rather than simply ripping off FC stuff was so they could sell the console to copyright-conscious markets in a 'legal' state without any pirated software.[/quote]My unit came from France and the box does indicate it came with two separate cartridges (plus there is a space for them inside), they were only not included because the ebay seller I bought from had lost them.

It does seem odd or unlikely that they would have contained unaltered Famicom games in French territories or perhaps they were just happy to take the risk by not advertising the content up front.

I had assumed they were the only such cartridges produced (kind of like some of the current handhelds you get on Aliexpress have random cartridges with them) but from what you are saying it sounds as if Timetop actually made more for sale independently in China...interesting

Does any information exist on who made games for Timetop? I genuinely enjoy their efforts for the GameKing although from GKIII onwards they seemed to lose touch with what made those games quirky fun. The opening logo montage for the GKIII has a bombastic exploding planet that's kind of a warning as to the direction they had decided to pursue!

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
Yeah they did sell some cartridges separately, the one I have actually came boxed. The box doesn't mention Timetop anywhere on it though, presumably they were trying to distance themselves from these carts a little (despite packing them in with the consoles..)

(incidentally many of the Aliexpress handhelds actually come with 'fake' cartridges that don't contain a ROM chip but just switch between sets of built-in games, so it would be actually impossible for the manufacturers to produce additional cartridges for them)

As for who made the games, I'm not sure. There are a few connections to other companies works e.g. many of the LTPS Handy Game built-in games share music with certain later Waixing games like Link to the Past and Digimon, but Waixing was probably outsourcing by this point anyway, so that still doesn't exactly point to the identity of the developers.

Additionally there were some later non-Timetop all-in-one handhelds more or less based on Game King hardware with very similar games, presumably developed by the same people as the GK stuff.. then later some more advanced colour LCD handhelds appeared with some games having the same names and/or concepts as those on the GK-based ones, which may mean the developers were linked, but may also mean they just ripped off the other handhelds' games.

It's possible Timetop actually had an internal team that later went independent, or Timetop themselves were doing outsource work for other companies, or Timetop never had internal development and it was subcontracted all along.. unfortunately I have no idea what the deal actually was there.

fcgamer

• View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »
Tisk tisk, you guys need to read my blog more often:

https://fcgamer.wordpress.com/2015/06/24/the-game-king-has-become-a-god/

Five of the six games on that handheld were released on a plug n play by Timetop, on a 7 in 1 machine.  "Magic" is not included on my machine, instead including  Crazy Speed and Bomb Boy.  I don't think this was ever meant to be a Game King spiritual predecessor, since they had been putting these games onto plug n plays for TV sets/

Ninjinister

• View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 02:11:47 AM »
So there's a LTPS Handy Game like the one in Stuart Ashen's video above, which is more or less a Game King, and the one that's a Famiclone that is the one being discussed most recently...?

I'm only finding the latter for sale anywhere.

Obsolete_Worlds

• View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
Ninjinister
Aug 1 2017, 02:11:47 AM
So there's a LTPS Handy Game like the one in Stuart Ashen's video above, which is more or less a Game King, and the one that's a Famiclone that is the one being discussed most recently...?

I'm only finding the latter for sale anywhere.[/quote]Yes it is rather odd that both of the consoles have the same name...Perhaps it means something to people in Guangzhou. I used to live there so I ought to have asked. ^_^

Even more confusingly though, I recently obtained this:

http://www.obsoleteworlds.com/the-banyan-tree/well-this-is-odda-clone-of-a-gameking

It appears to have nothing to do with Timetop, yet hilariously it's attempting to clone the Gameking outer casing! Like someone might be at the market and be like "wow, a GAMEKING!" then feel really cheated and disappointed later...   >;)

Sadly, despite being pretty certain that its "cartridges" are basically just activating different built in games, I only got one of them with mine and haven't been able to manually get the other games to load up to see what they are.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:36:32 PM by Obsolete_Worlds »

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Game King Stuff
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »
I don't know much about gameking stuff, but I do know that they only made 3 handhelds and this isn't one of them.

Obsolete_Worlds

• View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
I just got hold of 4-in-1 Vol 13 today. It includes the games Might (listed as "migat" on the cart), Brains, Catman (Listed as "Garman on the cart") and Armada.

It's a pretty good multicart. Might is a Contra style game that uses the Soldier engine but with more platforming and a slightly easier difficulty. Armada is the standard timetop vertical shooter that appears in some form on nearly every cart. Catman is another contra-esque game but it's not as good as Might and is extremely difficult due to large sprites.

Brains is the real oddity on this cart. It seems to be an original platform puzzle game where you have to navigate four screens (viewable via a map) collecting "hostages" and avoiding enemies. I've only made it up to stage 3 where you have to push boulders to  assist you. I hope there are more stages as it seems like a fun original title (unless someone can point me to something its cloning).

Does anyone have the "story briefs" for the games on this cart? Sadly I didn't get this with the box and instructions but I'd like to include these "briefs" when I review them on my site.

Another thing I found of interest was this:

http://s663.photobucket.com/user/sickertus/Game%20King/story

This guy seems to have some Gameking III games that were previously unknown...however I was struck by his description of "Adventure"

"possibly one of the worst games put out by timetop. Slow refresh rate platformer with unrelenting AI. Caveman with a club vs. giant pigeons and snakes."

This sounds VERY MUCH like the game "Stone Age" included on the LTPS Handygame and on the plug and play that FCGamer highlighted on his blog.

Also there is a Gameking III game called "Urgent Action" which is also the name of one of the games on the LTPS Handygame cartridges. The same game?
It doesn't seem likely since the systems have different screen resolutions but it does have me intriqued
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:44:37 AM by Obsolete_Worlds »

Ninjinister

• View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 05:58:09 PM »
I picked up a YD-959 "Dot Matrix Game Player" that came with King Boxing as well as The Wall, Star War (just the one), Tank, and Risk King. Will have pics and other nonesuch later as I'm on me way to work in mere moments.

EDIT: Piiiiics

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:33:34 AM by Ninjinister »

forgotusername

• View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 12:45:55 AM »
Old thread, and someone may have touched upon this before, but I own the Time Top plug 'n play seen here. Interesting to see there's a Magical Pop'n clone out there using this hardware. Would've loved to get that one but I guess Smartball is a fair trade-off for it. Also worth mentioning that Yo-Yo Rabbit is the SHIT. It's one of, if not THE best plug 'n play knockoff I've ever played.

Another thing - those 1.8" handheld games. They HAVE to have some sort of Game King/Time Top connection. Look at the game list - Risk-King, The Wall, and King Boxing are ALL Game King titles. 2012 is actually Game King's 2003, and I know I've seen Tank on one of these before too. Judging by the newer Game King-esqe things mentioned here with Angry Birds clones and whatnot, its undoubted they're connected somehow.

Ninjinister

• View Profile
Game King Stuff
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 05:17:40 PM »
forgotusername
Jan 13 2018, 12:45:55 AM
Another thing - those 1.8" handheld games. They HAVE to have some sort of Game King/Time Top connection. Look at the game list - Risk-King, The Wall, and King Boxing are ALL Game King titles. 2012 is actually Game King's 2003, and I know I've seen Tank on one of these before too. Judging by the newer Game King-esqe things mentioned here with Angry Birds clones and whatnot, its undoubted they're connected somehow.[/quote]

Yeah the Bootleg Games Wiki says King Boxing is a Game King game but that was literally the first time I've seen that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:18:15 PM by Ninjinister »