Author Topic: Leftovers in Zook Hero Z  (Read 7129 times)

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »
Okay so I got the English cart of Zook Hero Z, and dumped it. Sadly no working dump, due to V.Fames evil copy protection. :\

A while back, I gave that ROM I dumped to Taizou and he investigated. He later found credits to God Medicine by Konami.

Yeah, pretty strange huh? Well I just looked at Zook through Tile Layer Pro and found the title screen and a little bit the intro!

Why are they here? Did they use the games data for something? Structure? Maybe even the copy protection? :O Leave feedback on why you think it's there.

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
So an official game was used as a base for THIS?! :O
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:23:20 AM by KAGE-008 »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 12:55:42 AM »
That doesn't really explain anything about Zook Hero, given that God Medicine is an RPG, heh. But there is something sort of related that always struck me as interesting.

In all of VFame's English-language RPGs on GBC, the font used for dialogue is not from PC Paint, as is the usual for that company. Instead, the dialogue font is from Survival Kids...which is also by Konami.

So did they actually base their RPG engine on Konami's or something?

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:01:21 AM »
codeman38
Apr 7 2013, 12:55:42 AM
In all of VFame's English-language RPGs on GBC, the font used for dialogue is not from PC Paint, as is the usual for that company. Instead, the dialogue font is from Survival Kids...which is also by Konami.[/quote]BTW, if you notice the emotions before dialogue, you'll know that these were DIRECTLY taken from Survival Kids. I played it back in 2009 (I have the cellphone version too, in Chinese) and still remember how the engine works.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 01:06:23 AM »
Hm, I'm not entirely sure that's actually a case of stealing resources, so much as being inspired by it-- the Survival Kids emotes actually slide in while they appear, while the ones in VF's RPGs just pop on and off.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »
I thought I saw a V.Fame game where the emotes slid in...Shi Kong, maybe?  It was only like one game where they did it differently (most noticeable with the sweatdrop animation.)  They might've used God Medicine for copy protection or developing from scratch sorta like Color Dreams did with Super Mario Bros.  And while we're on the subject of reused content, I swear those screen wipe effects used when you enter a battle were ripped from Keitai Denjuu Telefang.  They're really similar to each other...

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:59:37 AM »
...You're right. The emotes in Shi Kong Xing Shou do slide in. Hmmm.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
Seems as if Vast Fame were sneaky with all this stealing. Sometimes all of the taken resources put together don't mix right though. (eg. Soul Falchion's Takara fighting engine with Capcom's sound engine. RPG engine with Capcom's sound engine doesn't fit right either, the pitch goes a little crazy sometimes. :\ )

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
Don't forget as I mentioned here that Shui Hu Shen Shou has some Pokemon Gold/Silver sprites, possibly due to V.Fame "borrowing" some of the coding to do their own Pokemon clones.  Crafty, ain't they?

Rocman X

• View Profile
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 07:51:21 PM »
Boy, someone should really remove the copy protection. Not easy, though. At least it's dumped! I never thought I'd see the awesome day...

Smedis2

• View Profile
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:57:31 AM »
:o

RVVD4029

• Banned
    • View Profile
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 01:03:50 AM »
Robgba can you give me that rom please.

TALUIGI

• View Profile
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
I'm not, such a fan of GameBoy Bootlegs, But it really strange, that means, they just pick the original game has base to make another?!

RVVD4029

• Banned
    • View Profile
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »
Robgba the copy protection is probably yong yong/gowin related.
Robgba i think the graphics look like the graphics for galaxian on famicom. I seen that game on most nes multicarts. I think the copy protection is shenzen nanjing related. So just like how i tryed to copy a prototype title screen and the game stopped working. The game is kou dai bao shi:lan. I think erasing all the graphics from your zook hero 1 gbc rom will get it working.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:38:41 PM by RVVD4029 »

RVVD4029

• Banned
    • View Profile
Leftovers in Zook Hero Z
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:06:35 PM »
Edit i think that the cartridge can be dumped as long as you take it apart and then try to find the board that contains the game's data. You can then dump that game onto a harddrive to get the rom off the cartridge.
Well for the graphics you found in tile layer pro. I think the graphics are unused as the real graphics look nothing like that. For the god medicine by konami reference. It makes sense as vfame used their sound engine a lot in their fighting games for the gbc.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:09:19 PM by RVVD4029 »