Author Topic: SNES multigame pirate carts  (Read 6548 times)

etabeta78

• View Profile
SNES multigame pirate carts
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »
As of late, I've spent some time emulating a bunch of pirate SNES games in MESS. After adding the games cracked by d4s, I stumbled upon a bunch of dumps for Super X-in-1 carts, that I suppose are from GoodSNES.

Emulating the bankswitch mechanism used by these was not very difficult, but it turned out that only one of the dumps (Super 6-in-1) contained the whole data from the cart, while others were just partial dumps missing half or more of the games!

So, my (interested) question is the following: is there around anyone who owns any of these multigame carts and is capable to re-dump them? while most of them are not very interesting neither from a player point of view (given that the single games are all dumped) nor from a dev point of view, I'd be quite interested to see in action and to emulate the carts which contain both HiROM and LoROM games or the carts which contain a DSP

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
Im using the same technology for a cart that im releasing (homebrew)

Do you know how to emulate them?

I would love to release the rom in the future, once the carts are done!

Thank you

And I own a nother pirate like this, but it only plays the first game, I guess the mapper is broken or something.

I have another one that is a multicart like this.

But I guess the mapper is broken. I can try to re-dump it and hopefully it dumps the full ROM?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:57:58 PM by pichichi010 »

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 01:11:58 AM »
Can you post a list of the multi's that have been dumped? I have 3 or 4 I can dig out to see if they've been dumped in the past.

etabeta78

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:33:29 AM »
@pichichi010: The carts containing only LoROM games write a specific value on the 0xffff00-0xffffff memory range to determine which 512k/1M/2M bank inside the 8M file has to be loaded in [00-7d][8000-ffff] memory ranges (as LoROM). Once this has been done, memory remains the same until you reset or turn off the console
The carts containing both LoROM and HiROM games (at least one apparently exists) are thought to also write a bit to determine if the game has to be mapped as Lo or Hi. This is only theory, though, because the HiROM game in the existing dump is missing so there is no way to confirm this assumption.

more info at: http://nocash.emubase.de/fullsnes.htm#snescartpiratexin1multicarts

basically, the only way for these to work on an emulator, is to have the emu author adding support for these writes at 0xffff00-0xffffff, which are otherwise just interpreted as writes to WRAM and have no bankswitch effect

@Azathoth: the 6-in-1 game depicted in the images above is the *only* multigame cart fully dumped, to my knowledge (+ the korean 20-in-1 dumped by d4s last year).
Other carts dumped but with incomplete dumps are the following (I put here snaps because I'm too lazy to write down the game names)

about dumping, the best way would be to open the cart and read the chips with an EEPROM reader, because I have no idea which modifications would be needed by a Retrode to access the whole data...

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:22 AM »
I remember that the "8 in 1 and 10 in 1" is something of interest, mainly because I remember reading that the 10 in 1 is basically 10 Commodore 64 games. :huh:

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 12:11:01 AM »
I'll note that to my developer, My multicart has 3 loroms and 1 hirom game.

Although the dump seems to have all games, since the size is almost 32Mbit

Hopefully we can emulate it.

etabeta78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 04:53:46 AM »
Awesome Panda
Mar 15 2013, 11:05:22 AM
I remember that the "8 in 1 and 10 in 1" is something of interest, mainly because I remember reading that the 10 in 1 is basically 10 Commodore 64 games. :huh:[/quote]the dump in GoodSNES does not contain the 10-in-1 data though (there are only games 2, 3, 4 & 5), so it's hard to tell

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »
Been Informed that the Nocash Snes emulator will work with multicart roms

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:07:10 PM by pichichi010 »

etabeta78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 05:02:07 AM »
yeah, both nocash and MESS will work with these (I thought you knew about nocash, given the doc I linked above is the nocash documentation :) )
bsnes won't because byuu is not interested in unlicensed stuff
I have no idea about zsnes and snes9x position, otoh

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
no those wont work,

I didn't about no chash, but actually he told me that it won't pick up Lo/hi rom combination carts.

I need this so we can learn on how to replace the Menu of the cart by hacking it.

I sent the menu to the company that made my cart, and they were clueless on how to install it.