Author Topic: Super Mario DX for GBA  (Read 25457 times)

Picrodus

• View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »
Azathoth
Mar 11 2013, 09:20:08 AM
Super Aladdin II is the PocketNES hack whereas Aladdin 2 is the one in question. Looks like the one on ebay right now is the PocketNES one.

With Crash Bandicoot, III is the platformer and IV is the PocketNES version... unless there's 2 versions of part IV floating around. Same with Spiderman, III is the platformer and IV is PocketNES[/quote]Wait so Crash Bandicoot IV is a pocketnes game? I saw it on one of those wholesale game boy lists.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
Yep! All those wholesale things have mostly PocketNES crap sadly. :(

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 09:42:42 PM »
The Crash game that 64scener recorded footage of is "Crash Bandicoot IV" according to the title screen. Is there actually a Crash III as well?
taizou
Mar 11 2013, 07:35:43 PM
Definitely Sintax I think. Even the manual pages and warning text on those 64scener pages look Sintaxy. They did reuse some of their GBC engines a *lot*, so it's not exactly unprecedented - they probably had no idea how to code a GBA game from scratch so they just ended up using that same engine over and over again.[/quote]...I just realized something that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that these are Sintax's work.

The instruction manuals for these GBA games contain the phrase "pease protect your eyes, avoid playing too long time".

That exact same wording--typo and all--appears on many of Sintax's GBC boxes. (See, for instance, True Three Kingdoms.)
Found this picture in this Polish forum thread showing a Harry Potter IV cart.

Yep, looks like it is indeed one of these-- the product code is E12-U4.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:17:55 PM by codeman38 »

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 11:25:52 PM »
Oh, Sintax. I remember when they used to be a respectable developer, before they started just rehashing that damn GBA platformer over and over and over and apply directly to the forehead and over.

Barver

• View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 11:45:28 PM »
None of their GBC works really made me think of them as too respectable =p Well, some things like that Harry shooter, the Donkey Kong sidescroller and whatever else I may be forgetting might make them seem nice. But the majority of their GBC stuff is exactly the same, just rehashing the same engines with crappy gameplay over and over again. So many of their GBC games use that generic platformer engine you see in Lion King III and Crash Bandicoot.

Next time I go home I might bring back all my Sintax stuff and just sell it lol

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 11:58:47 PM »
Seems like Sintax started off doing fairly well when they had BBD developing for them... but the stuff they started releasing after BBD split up with them was a harbinger of what was to come on GBA.

Pokemon Leaf Green, Pokemon Platinum, and Super Sonik II, anyone? And I swear there was yet another game based on that same engine as well.

Edit: Ah, that was the other one--The Incredibles!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:03:25 AM by codeman38 »

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 04:00:17 AM »
codeman38
Mar 12 2013, 09:42:42 PM
The Crash game that 64scener recorded footage of is "Crash Bandicoot IV" according to the title screen. Is there actually a Crash III as well?
Found this picture in this Polish forum thread showing a Harry Potter IV cart.

Yep, looks like it is indeed one of these-- the product code is E12-U4.[/quote]Yup, this is Crash III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwJEK7d4O3I

And here's the boxart for Harry Potter IV, which I found about 3 months ago (the thing on the right of Harry is bloody creepy):

Spoiler: click to toggle

*sigh* Everytime I see a new pirate that I actually want I always get outbid or the bid doesn't go through! >_>
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:02:25 AM by Robbi »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 05:59:27 AM »
In other words, Sintax is basically the EA Sports of platformers. :P

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »
codeman38
Mar 12 2013, 11:58:47 PM
Seems like Sintax started off doing fairly well when they had BBD developing for them... but the stuff they started releasing after BBD split up with them was a harbinger of what was to come on GBA.

Pokemon Leaf Green, Pokemon Platinum, and Super Sonik II, anyone? And I swear there was yet another game based on that same engine as well.

Edit: Ah, that was the other one--The Incredibles![/quote]Oh there's at least one more on that engine (I have it and I'm not even sure what it's based on.. some anime or PC game maybe? it looks really bad anyway).

The weird thing is that Castlevania DX was a later one but it's actually quite well-made, and definitely holds its own against the BBD stuff - the common ROM is a cut-down demo and none of the rooms link up properly, but I have another game thats a hack of it and it's actually a reasonable attempt at a Metroidvania style thing on the GBC. They even stole some appropriate music for a change.

Picrodus

• View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 12:59:49 AM »
I guess all these game used to be available on game-boy.ru but the site seems to be down. You can see the box art though from a whole bunch of the games we were talking about right here. http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?p=24349 Is there any more Russian game boy sites like that? From doing a quick Google search I couldn't find anything.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:01:18 AM by Picrodus »

Azathoth

• View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 01:18:33 AM »
My mistake, seems there's 2 Crash Bandicoot IV's. Here's the PocketNES one I had.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 08:38:19 AM »
Picrodus
Mar 14 2013, 12:59:49 AM
I guess all these game used to be available on game-boy.ru but the site seems to be down. You can see the box art though from a whole bunch of the games we were talking about right here. http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?p=24349 Is there any more Russian game boy sites like that? From doing a quick Google search I couldn't find anything.[/quote]The Digimon game in that post looks interesting - Digimon Adventure maybe?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »
I had actually stumbled across that thread before, but never actually thought to look at those things in more detail...

Out of all of those, Mario Cart, Hulk 2, and Digimon look like they're probably Sintax's work as well. Same official-looking "Only for Game Boy Advance" sidebar, and similar-looking fake ESRB ratings.

(And though its box style is entirely different, I have to wonder about the Hulk game with a random Crash Bandicoot picture on it...)

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »
Alrighty, I've been screwing around on eBay, and it seems as if the published 'E12' (AKA E6 or E3 in some cases) published QUITE a lot. :O Sadly most the stuff looks like generic crap, so I might have a go getting some E12 ones, as those seem to be the ones that're Sintax. (Being a bastard by not linking, but SERIOUSLY, there's stuff like LEGO Bionicle and Robots here and they seem way too generic.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:45:52 PM by Robbi »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Super Mario DX for GBA
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »
I'm guessing the 12, 6 and 3 refers to ROM size - 128mbit, 64mbit and 32mbit (=16MB, 8MB and 4MB). Maybe its only the ones with "U" in the 2nd part that are Sintax.